$130M being spent annually on foreign student scholarships is downright obscene

https://www.domainofexperts.com/2019/07/...reign.html

Just to share this is not new at all. When I started work back in 1998 I met a China graduate and she told me she is also on scholarship. Then I ask her how she know Spore a small island? She told me MOE go her school conduct road show and that is how she came to know of small little island Spore. But there are criteria, you need to secure some grading else you will not get the scholarship. Then after graduating you need to work in Spore a few years if not need payback the monies they give you. When she study, she is also given an allowance too.

So this idea goes way back many decades ago. From that incident onwards, I no longer donate monies to NUS my alumni anymore. I used to donate to give back to fellow Sporean but now no more becuz I dunno how my monies will be given to those foreign students instead of locals.
[+] 2 users Like sgh's post

(17-12-2022, 05:14 PM)sgh Wrote:  Just to share this is not new at all. When I started work back in 1998 I met a China graduate and she told me she is also on scholarship. Then I ask her how she know Spore a small island? She told me MOE go her school conduct road show and that is how she came to know of small little island Spore. But there are criteria, you need to secure some grading else you will not get the scholarship. Then after graduating you need to work in Spore a few years if not need payback the monies they give you. When she study, she is also given an allowance too.

So this idea goes way back many decades ago. From that incident onwards, I no longer donate monies to NUS my alumni anymore. I used to donate to give back to fellow Sporean but now no more becuz I dunno how my monies will be given to those foreign students instead of locals.

My children who also graduated from NUS, did not donate any money to NUS despite many flyers sent to them.......... Laughing Laughter-68

(17-12-2022, 05:17 PM)debono Wrote:  My children who also graduated from NUS, did not donate any money to NUS despite many flyers sent to them.......... Laughing Laughter-68

I donate becuz my parents told me ppl give us chance to study so we must contribute back. Then I found this out I no longer donate. The flyers they send every now and then I use it to put my fish chicken pork bones or act as base for my waste basket.

Aiyah PAP very good lah....at least they give $2m annually for sinkees.

(17-12-2022, 05:14 PM)sgh Wrote:  Just to share this is not new at all. When I started work back in 1998 I met a China graduate and she told me she is also on scholarship. Then I ask her how she know Spore a small island? She told me MOE go her school conduct road show and that is how she came to know of small little island Spore. But there are criteria, you need to secure some grading else you will not get the scholarship. Then after graduating you need to work in Spore a few years if not need payback the monies they give you. When she study, she is also given an allowance too.

U ARE MORE THAN AN IDIOT TO DONATE TO NUS TO FUND SCHOLARSHIP FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS

SIMILARLY I NEVER DONATE TO THOSE FLYERS SEND TOGETHER ON MY SP BILLS
SP MAKING >1B PROFIT EVERYYR RAISING WATER 30% N ELECTRICITY RATES.

Heng Arh! I did not vote for PAP

PAP will not be responsible enough to claw- back

such over-payment including Foreign Students Tuition Subsidy

and worst, giving them jobs in SG by deporting them

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(17-12-2022, 05:21 PM)sgh Wrote:  I donate becuz my parents told me ppl give us chance to study so we must contribute back. Then I found this out I no longer donate. The flyers they send every now and then I use it to put my fish chicken pork bones or act as base for my waste basket.

THOSE DONATION  FLYERS SEND BY SP END UP AS 0.0001 GR SELL TO GARANG GUNU 
OR AS CLEANING MATERIALS

(17-12-2022, 05:26 PM)talky Wrote:  THOSE DONATION  FLYERS SEND BY SP END UP AS 0.0001 GR SELL TO GARANG GUNU 
OR AS CLEANING MATERIALS

The govt is wasting money to print flyers for NUS donations, to be sent to NUS alumni and also sent by SP bills........cos  most ppl. don't want to donate to this fund...... Big Grin

(17-12-2022, 05:32 PM)debono Wrote:  The govt is wasting money to print flyers for NUS donations, to be sent to NUS alumni and also sent by SP bills........cos  most ppl. don't want to donate to this fund...... Big Grin

No waste of monies becuz we make full use of these flyers. We use them to put our fish chicken pork bones or act as the base for our waste basket so it is put to good use before throw away.

(17-12-2022, 05:46 PM)sgh Wrote:  No waste of monies becuz we make full use of these flyers. We use them to put our fish chicken pork bones or act as the base for our waste basket so it is put to good use before throw away.

OIC.............. Clapping

[Image: VGvs08n.jpg]

[Image: S9Kuvg7.jpg]

[Image: fkjAG3L.jpg]

Govt’s 10 Ideas to make us eat Grass?

[Image: ADDACAC2-2-AD6-4557-8920-45-B17-FDF8-E3-A.jpg]

I have no problem with this amount of money given to foreign students. Many of them are bright and will set a good example for our local students. Moreover, they will work here for a number of years and contribute to our economy.

What should be cut is the SAF budget. I just heard from someone today that even incentive for IPPT is $200. That's ridiculous.

(17-12-2022, 10:01 PM)Wy:Nox Wrote:  Govt’s 10 Ideas to make us eat Grass?

[Image: ADDACAC2-2-AD6-4557-8920-45-B17-FDF8-E3-A.jpg]
We are made to eat grass............? crying

That's why CPF CEo can only  afford to pay 2.50% OA interest rate which is much lower than Banks FD @  4%..

Members feel cheated.

(17-12-2022, 10:13 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I have no problem with this amount of money given to foreign students. Many of them are bright and will set a good example for our local students. Moreover, they will work here for a number of years and contribute to our economy.

What should be cut is the SAF budget. I just heard from someone today that even incentive for IPPT is $200. That's ridiculous.

The Govt is hoping these students eventually become citizens and vote for pap.
[+] 1 user Likes Scythian's post

(17-12-2022, 10:13 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I have no problem with this amount of money given to foreign students. Many of them are bright and will set a good example for our local students. Moreover, they will work here for a number of years and contribute to our economy.

IPPT 200 is a lot then ask those FT go and take lor free 200 ask them take.

(18-12-2022, 12:52 AM)sgh Wrote:  IPPT 200 is a lot then ask those FT go and take lor free 200 ask them take.

If the govt allows maybe the FTs will voluntarily take it.

(18-12-2022, 12:50 AM)Scythian Wrote:  The Govt is hoping these students eventually become citizens and vote for pap.

I dun mind intelligent ppl to come here and contribute. Vote for PAP is secondary to me.

(18-12-2022, 01:01 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I dun mind intelligent ppl to come here and contribute. Vote for PAP is secondary to me.

The contention now is how to define they are intelligent? There have been cases where their paper credentials are fake and Spore being such an efficient govt unlike our Northern neighbor in their haste to get more lax in their scrutiny which is a shame. Also shame on those FT but I do admit they are intelligent in faking paper credentials for this I got to give them credit.
[+] 1 user Likes sgh's post

My son told me he was getting like $500

(18-12-2022, 01:10 AM)sgh Wrote:  The contention now is how to define they are intelligent? There have been cases where their paper credentials are fake and Spore being such an efficient govt unlike our Northern neighbor in their haste to get more lax in their scrutiny which is a shame. Also shame on those FT but I do admit they are intelligent in faking paper credentials for this I got to give them credit.

The scholarships are awarded to those who have scored well for their exams. How else do you think they're awarded?

(18-12-2022, 01:13 AM)Clyde Wrote:  My son told me he was getting like $500

Probably he got a silver.

(18-12-2022, 01:01 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I dun mind intelligent ppl to come here and contribute. Vote for PAP is secondary to me.

Not many think like you.

While some SG children returned from overseas without a good job.

If you don't kick PAP out then, more and more SG children be W/O good jobs or jobless.

(18-12-2022, 01:15 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  The scholarships are awarded to those who have scored well for their exams. How else do you think they're awarded?

Ok I am talking on a wider spectrum instead of this student scholarship issue. For this I agree with you. But do take note not all serve finish their bond after they finish. I know my that former lady China colleague break the bond and pay monies go back. Strange isn't it? Study 4 years so hard graduate find job work less than a year break bond pay monies go back China strange decision indeed.

(18-12-2022, 01:19 AM)sgh Wrote:  Ok I am talking on a wider spectrum instead of this student scholarship issue. For this I agree with you. But do take note not all serve finish their bond after they finish. I know my that former lady China colleague break the bond and pay monies go back. Strange isn't it? Study 4 years so hard graduate find job work less than a year break bond pay monies go back China strange decision indeed.

There will always be a small number who choose to skip their bond and not work here but we shouldn't look at the minority because no policy can catch all cases.

(18-12-2022, 01:19 AM)Scythian Wrote:  Not many think like you.

While some SG children returned from overseas without a good job.

If you don't kick PAP out then, more and more SG children be W/O good jobs or jobless.

It's all about merit. If the people working here are better skilled I don't see why the jobs must be reserved for those 'returned from overseas'.

(18-12-2022, 01:15 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  The scholarships are awarded to those who have scored well for their exams. How else do you think they're awarded?
Base on feedback from my son, they are not so talented as what our government thought to be. He had hard time getting those scholars to contribute ideas to the group project because some did not show up and for those who show up, they kept completely quiet during the meeting.
[+] 1 user Likes Clyde's post

(18-12-2022, 01:26 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  It's all about merit. If the people working here are better skilled I don't see why the jobs must be reserved for those 'returned from overseas'.

Why so many politicians in parliament didn't studied @ NUS?