Europe's richest countries make transport free. Can Singapore do it?

"Luxembourg recently celebrated three years of free public transport. And, according to the people who live there, it has been a resounding success. As countries look to encourage citizens to ditch their cars to cut carbon emissions, could Luxembourg's success be replicated across Europe?17 hours ago"

https://www.google.com/search?q=europe+r...sport+free&oq=europe+richest+countries+make+transport+free&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l2.21631j1j4&client=ms-android-oppo-rvo3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#:~:text=Luxembourg%20recently%20celebrated,17%20hours%20ago

Consider ourselves lucky, if pap forgot to increase transport fare this year.

Free would go against the principles of meritocracy

Wait long long lah. Rotfl
If free, GST probably double?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

might as well ask for 1 free car for every family.

Cab make it free...however money needs to come from somewhere most likely GST has to increase.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(07-06-2023, 07:02 AM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  Consider ourselves lucky, if pap forgot to increase transport fare this year.
Yup, use more pay more.
Little red dot has no natural resources
No free lunch.

If public transport is free in Sg, you will have to be paying at least double your current tax rates from income to gst...
[+] 1 user Likes Sticw's post

no money how to give free?

(07-06-2023, 07:44 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Cab make it free...however money needs to come from somewhere most likely GST has to increase.

This is how some people go about telling half truths 

You had just told the other half which the TS didn't tell.

We can give free transport, free healthcare, free a lot of things. We can even go so far as to give everything free but taxes will become 100% of your income. That's as good as having no salary and everything belongs to the State which then rations to you what it thinks you need. 

Taken to this extreme we'd become what China under Mao was.

(07-06-2023, 02:41 PM)Jinwului Wrote:  no money how to give free?

In Peru, they have no $$$, yet medical is free and cheap? Rotfl

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"