This way of reporting makes no sense!

Quote:早报讯)我国今天(11月23日)新增1782起冠病确诊病例。再有五人因冠病并发症逝世。

根据卫生部文告,每周病例增长率为0.83,连续11天低于1。

五名死者年龄介于62岁至92岁,除了一名未接种疫苗的病患,其他病患生前都有潜在健康问题。

The sentence I highlighted in bold does not make any sense. It consists of 2 logic that are totally unrelated. It should be 除了一名未接种疫苗的病患,其他病患生前都有[b]未接种过疫苗。[/b]

Is this how they want to hide the truth from us?
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

有猫腻咩?

Just accept it lah. People deserve the govt they voted for. The majority wanted this. Peace.
[+] 3 users Like Sticw's post

(23-11-2021, 10:37 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  The sentence I highlighted in bold does not make any sense. It consists of 2 logic that are totally unrelated. It should be 除了一名未接种疫苗的病患,其他病患生前都有[b]未接种过疫苗。[/b]

Is this how they want to hide the truth from us?

don't see major issue with the original text leh...i read as "there are 5 casualties. other than 1 casualty, who's unvax, the remaining 4 all have medical pre-condition"

to me, the way you wrote it is totally different meaning. can you share more why it should be as you wrote?

(24-11-2021, 12:42 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  don't see major issue with the original text leh...i read as "there are 5 casualties. other than 1 casualty, who's unvax, the remaining 4 all have medical pre-condition"

to me, the way you wrote it is totally different meaning. can you share more why it should be as you wrote?

The correct English translation should be, except for one unvaxxed, the other 4 have underlying medical conditions.

This sentence is flawed in logic because when one said 'except for ..., xxx', then the following statement must mean the opposite. But in this particular sentence, being unvaxxed and having medical conditions are two unrelated matters.

For example, you'd say, 'except for one skinny guy, the rest are all muscular and stout'. You wouldn't say, 'except for one skinny guy, the others are angry people', because skinny and angry are not contrasting terms.
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

They are masking the fact that the others are vaxxed. But it is not outright deception. Not too hard to imply that the 4 are vaxxed. They are emphasizing the underlying medical condition. Not right but not wrong either.

Or it could also mean the one unvax guy died without any premedical condition and the 4 vaxed guys died because of premedical conditions. .... Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

The reporting basically wants to reflect that the other 4 that passed on has underlying medical issues and trying to tone down that these people were vaccinated.

This report basically wants to highlight that the vaccine are not the direct cause of death. That’s what the report is trying to do. But time will tell and by then no one will be held responsible any more.

(24-11-2021, 01:45 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  The correct English translation should be, except for one unvaxxed, the other 4 have underlying medical conditions.

This sentence is flawed in logic because when one said 'except for ..., xxx', then the following statement must mean the opposite. But in this particular sentence, being unvaxxed and having medical conditions are two unrelated matters.

For example, you'd say, 'except for one skinny guy, the rest are all muscular and stout'. You wouldn't say, 'except for one skinny guy, the others are angry people', because skinny and angry are not contrasting terms.

Agreed, it is meant to hide the facts and sabo unvaxxed.  But the original statement is not totally illogical because the contrast here is "have medical conditions" vs  "have no medical conditions".   

ST says :   There were five people aged between 62 and 92 who died of complications linked to Covid-19, the ministry said. All of them, except for an unvaccinated individual, had various underlying medical conditions, it added, without giving further details 

I interpret as :  
no medical conditions (1 unvaxxed, 0 vaxxed) vs
have medical conditions ( x unvaxxed, y vaxxed) where x and y are unknowns that add up to 4.

Why did they mention unvaxxed? Think they wanted to make unvaxxed look bad but only serves to confuse people instead. Idiots.

(24-11-2021, 06:54 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Agreed, it is meant to hide the facts and sabo unvaxxed.  But the original statement is not totally illogical because the contrast here is "have medical conditions" vs  "have no medical conditions".   

ST says :   There were five people aged between 62 and 92 who died of complications linked to Covid-19, the ministry said. All of them, except for an unvaccinated individual, had various underlying medical conditions, it added, without giving further details 

I interpret as :  
have medical conditions ( x unvaxxed, y vaxxed) where x and y are unknowns that add up to 4.

Why did they mention unvaxxed? Think they wanted to make unvaxxed look bad but only serves to confuse people instead. Idiots.

its illogical becos
they assume the unvax die becos of not vax and not due to 'underlying medical condition
that only the vax have 'underlying...
both vax and unvax die from the SAME thing

yes they are trying to hide the fact that the vax are dying in droves

It is clear that vaccine efficacy is low for those with underlying illness.
Govt should acquire other solutions for these people.

(24-11-2021, 07:47 AM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  It is clear that vaccine efficacy is low for those with underlying illness.
Govt should acquire other solutions for these people.

Shd be vaccine is not working for some ppl whose immunity is not working properly as it does not response to the vaccine lah... These are the 倒霉蛋which I always mentioned.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(24-11-2021, 06:54 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Agreed, it is meant to hide the facts and sabo unvaxxed.  But the original statement is not totally illogical because the contrast here is "have medical conditions" vs  "have no medical conditions".   

I interpret as :  

your interpretation is correct.  It is emphasising that none of the vaccinated without underlying medical conditions was found dead.  It means the vaccine is working.   As for the numbers,  it can be quite misleading. The vax might be even higher than unvax because there are 94% of eligible already vaxed.  Naturally,  non-vax death number would be lower.  But they have showed the situation in term of ratios or rates i.e numbers per 100K as shown in this chart.   Unvax has a higher rate which is many times that of the vax. They show this chart every day.   Maybe people cannot understand because they are not good at maths.

[Image: RFgd8Ia.png]

(24-11-2021, 08:05 AM)revealer Wrote:  your interpretation is correct.  It is emphasising that none of the vaccinated without underlying medical conditions was found dead.  It means the vaccine is working.   As for the numbers,  it can be quite misleading. The vax might be even higher than unvax because there are 94% of eligible already vaxed.  Naturally,  non-vax death number would be lower.  But they have showed the situation in term of ratios or rates i.e numbers per 100K as shown in this chart.   Unvax has a higher rate which is many times that of the vax. They show this chart every day.   Maybe people cannot understand because they are not good at maths.

[Image: RFgd8Ia.png]
If you must know the actual numbers,  this guy in hardwarezone sometimes works out the numbers. YOu people can follow him.   He just multiple the ratio or rates per 100K given by MOH multiply by numbers of vaccinated or unvaccinated and uncoded the 7 days average into daily numbers.    but I found it not usefui because the ratio fluctuates widely.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threa...l.6644175/

why not just follow the previous format, put in the numbers? now it's like 高深莫测

(24-11-2021, 01:45 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  The correct English translation should be, except for one unvaxxed, the other 4 have underlying medical conditions.

Only partially agree with your above. Just googled and selected the first dictionary entry for "except for", an example given was:
[i]Except for Jim, who is unwell, they are all ready to leave for America tomorrow.[/i]

we see that Jim is the exception who is not ready to leave for America. The additional info is that Jim is unwell.
Applying to the MOH sentence, 4 have underlying pre-conditions, and with one exception. The additional info is that this one exception is unvax.

What MOH could have done is expand out the sentence rather than compress into a single sentence. That should greatly reduce the ambiguities, and cause folks to interpret in multiple sometimes harmful ways.

Very silly , no common sense EQ..

..now dat it's more less under control ...just follow taiwan, stop testing, continue jabbing n keep quiet about serious cases..n any symptoms tell them kwai kwai stay at home , take panadol extra .n die at home ..
Limit patients in hospitals to only those who wants to die in hospitals .
Imagine the tremendous goodwill , excellent image reputation we will b getting from reviews of an efficient govt n country....n all the countries will open their legs wide wide to welcome us with lobsters

(24-11-2021, 10:59 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  Only partially agree with your above. Just googled and selected the first dictionary entry for "except for", an example given was:
[i]Except for Jim, who is unwell, they are all ready to leave for America tomorrow.[/i]

we see that Jim is the exception who is not ready to leave for America. The additional info is that Jim is unwell.
Applying to the MOH sentence, 4 have underlying pre-conditions, and with one exception. The additional info is that this one exception is unvax.

What MOH could have done is expand out the sentence rather than compress into a single sentence. That should greatly reduce the ambiguities, and cause folks to interpret in multiple sometimes harmful ways.

The statement hides information from us. Taking a look at sentence again, "except for one unvaxxed, the other 4 have underlying medical conditions", this only conveys one piece of information, which is, the one who is unvaxxed does not have any underlying medical condition, but it does not tell us for certainty if the other 4 are vaxxed or not. I suspect this is done on purpose.

(24-11-2021, 11:48 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  The statement hides information from us. Taking a look at sentence again, "except for one unvaxxed, the other 4 have underlying medical conditions", this only conveys one piece of information, which is, the one who is unvaxxed does not have any underlying medical condition, but it does not tell us for certainty if the other 4 are vaxxed or not. I suspect this is done on purpose.

Yeah lah obviously there's no additional info about the other 4 with underlying pre-conditions. Info can only be found on the charts. Courtesy of new MOH OYK

Underlying medical condition can be pre-and-post conditions.

Template:

XX unvaccinated.
XX vaccinated with underlying medical conditions.

No death for unvaccinated

No report on unvaccinated.
XX death with underlying medical conditions.

(24-11-2021, 11:48 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  The statement hides information from us. Taking a look at sentence again, "except for one unvaxxed, the other 4 have underlying medical conditions", this only conveys one piece of information, which is, the one who is unvaxxed does not have any underlying medical condition, but it does not tell us for certainty if the other 4 are vaxxed or not. I suspect this is done on purpose.

That's what I said above.