Low Birth rate : Why the govt keep failing on this...here is the right way.

To reverse our falling birth rate the way to do it is to look at countries that have succeeded and implement successful policies and to stop failed policies. Sweden birth rate used to be 1.1 now they raise it to 1.9 just slightly lower than 2.1 the replacement rate.

Quote:Sweden
Similar successes are seen in Scandinavian countries, with an average of 1.9 children per woman in Sweden according to the World Bank's 2017 figures.

The European Commission says that female and maternal employment rates in the country "are among the highest in the EU, and child poverty is among the lowest", while parents are given a monthly allowance of up to 1,573 krona (£128; $167), which increases when the child reaches 11 and then 15.

Generous family and social benefits may play a role in their success. Swedish parents are also entitled to 480 days of paid parental leave to share between them, with men claiming about 30% of all leave.

A woman receives an ultrasound
IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,
Scandinavia has started to see a decline in fertility rates despite family-friendly policies

Childcare is also subsidised and working hours are lower in Sweden than in many other countries. In 2018, the average Swede worked 1,474 hours, about 500 hours fewer than the average Russian.

But Prof Gauthier does note that even Scandinavia has begun to see a fall in its fertility rates, showing that the real key to higher birth rates remains unclear.

"With Scandinavia we thought they had got it right... until about last year when their fertility rate started to decline," she said.

To succeed implement successful policies and stop putting in blame on individuals.

To succeed stop policies that are ineffective like giving tax incentives which goes to higher income who don't really need it and give this money to lower income who need the financial help to have more children. They continued this ineffective policy for so many yrs already resulting in misallocation.

The whole country is put into a vicious cycle of using low birth rate as reason to import people which pushes cost of living up and that pushes birth rate further down. The high stress of importing more people onto a small island which has highest human density among countries Is just making things worse.

We need leaders willing  to take up on the right long term path not towards failed polices and vicious cycles.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(16-08-2021, 07:43 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  To reverse our falling birth rate the way to do it is to look at countries that have succeeded and implement successful policies and to stop failed policies. Sweden birth rate used to be 1.1 now they raise it to 1.9 just slightly lower than 2.1 the replacement rate.

To succeed implement successful policies and stop putting in blame on individuals.

To succeed stop policies that are ineffective like giving tax incentives which goes to higher income who don't really need it and give this money to lower income who need the financial help to have more children. They continued this ineffective policy for so many yrs already resulting in misallocation.

The whole country is put into a vicious cycle of using low birth rate as reason to import people which pushes cost of living up and that pushes birth rate further down. The high stress of importing more people onto a small island which has highest human density among countries Is just making things worse.

We need leaders willing  to take up on the right long term path not towards failed polices and vicious cycles.

A lot of low income also give birth without subsidies lor (just look at certain race). It's not about income or subsidies lah.

(16-08-2021, 08:16 AM)winbig Wrote:  A lot of low income also give birth without subsidies lor (just look at certain race). It's not about income or subsidies lah.

All races have low birth rate in Singapore.

Singapore Malays have lower birth rate than Malaysian Chinese.

The problem is across the board to all races.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Already  under the bus.

(16-08-2021, 08:25 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  All races have low birth rate in Singapore.

Singapore Malays have lower birth rate than Malaysian Chinese.

The problem is across the board to all races.

When are you getting married with a woman?....... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Huliwang's post

(16-08-2021, 08:28 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  When are you getting married with a woman?....... Rolleyes
No sure when. But all sorts of problems with housing and cost of living etc does not make decision an easy one.

Their plan forgot to include TFR.
Now create the mess and dont know how to solve it. Tot that by importing,taking short cut and can reduce the impact but it is not.
One day when Sg is in big trouble, the rich foreigners will be the first to run road.

(16-08-2021, 08:32 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  No sure when. But all sorts of problems with housing and cost of living etc does not make decision an easy one.
Housing is not a problem for you as you said before you can buy a couple of condos but you refused because you think they are unnecessarily expensive. You want cheap cheap house. You have investments that have multiplied many folds but you chose to live with $200 per month. 
So it is not money not enough in your case but something else ....... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

Birth rate and GDP growth rate are inversely correlated.

Govts who refuse to accept this reality are simply wasting their time or are trying to hoodwink the people for political gains.

(16-08-2021, 08:50 AM)5354 Wrote:  Public housing is FREE for a lifetime in Singapore, it is an undeniable fact based on HDB resale prices over the past 50 years

HDB housing grant up to $160,000

Your cost of living is around $250 a month, fast fooder, security guards, cleaners can earn $1,500 a month

Food delivery jobs $3,000 to $5,000 a month, just need a bicycle which you have

[Image: Vf5AaQT.png]

My cost of living won't be $250 once j have many mouths to feed and medical.bills to pay.

I think you don't understand the word "Free" if money is involved it is not free.

(16-08-2021, 08:45 AM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  Birth rate and GDP growth rate are inversely correlated.

Govts who refuse to accept this reality are simply wasting their time or are trying to hoodwink the people for political gains.

If nothing dine to reverse this ...it will happen like you said but many countries have successfully turned the tide on demographic suicide.

If nothing is done ...it is a goner.

Sgreans can never lower work hours...

疫苗可以不打, 手枪一定要打!
疫苗可以不注射, 精子一定要远射!

The trick is to enclose young couples in a small space a few times a week.

(16-08-2021, 09:15 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  If nothing dine to reverse this ...it will happen like you said but many countries have successfully turned the tide on demographic suicide.

If nothing is done ...it is a goner.

Don't worry, they already solved the problem by bringing in 20k new citizens every year. Birth rate data is to push the blame on the people and make NDP speeches less boring.
Laughing

Just like they bring in thousands of foreign graduates, but restrict local intake to universities. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p...years-says

They will say not all policies r suitable to Spore context... need to cater to our city state economy growth... even moere minister said not enuf graduates for IT sector... 
Only thing they benchmark celery high high

[Image: devil-lol.gif]

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin

Demographic suicide is the most important problem to our society if it is not solve little else matter.  Our existence is of central importance to our society. If our own existence is diminished in the decades to come does any else actually matter?

What is the point of building something only to have less of  our own people benefit and handed over to citizens of other countries...

This goes against the idea of nation building when there is nobody to build for....

[Image: nVUiSv0.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

in the old forum, flower goat always scolded you for not contributing...

(16-08-2021, 09:58 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  in the old forum, flower goat always scolded you for not contributing...

Blaming individuals is a waste of time ...because different people have different specific reasons....some because of character not suitable for marriage or other personal reasons.

Raising fertility we need to change the factors that affects many people and improve the situation.

Blaming individuals is just an excuse ...just like PAP blaming all the racial  issue on Liew Nun Wai saying he is the one causing it.....he is just a scapegoat for govt failings.

everybody got to play his parts mah

(16-08-2021, 10:11 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  everybody got to play his parts mah

Yes and starting with the govt to lead with the right policies.
Policy wrong .. we will head for failure.

20+yrs already and problem still not solved while other countries solve.

When is TS getting married and help to improve the birth rate?