I have no retrenchment benefits because they are not enshrined in Singapore’s laws

https://www.todayonline.com/voices/your-...rs-2349576

(26-02-2024, 10:29 AM)forum456 Wrote:  https://www.todayonline.com/voices/your-...rs-2349576

Retrenchment benefits are not enshrined in S'pore’s labour laws since our Govt is pro-business, and by extension, not pro-employee. MOM gives only broad guidelines regarding retrenchment benefits. The severance amount depends on the employee’s contract or paid out of good will by the company; there is no legislation to protect the affected staff.

Employers should not be compelled to retain or hire older workers, but countries that have anti-discriminatory laws in place such as the United States, Britain, Germany, the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Japan, Finland and Sweden remain strong in global competitiveness. Workers above 40 routinely make up nearly two-thirds of resident workers who lose their jobs in S'pore. I doubt that the vast majority of these staff were "dead wood", but were made redundant because of discrimination.

If you have retrenchment benefits
, the employer will just find other ways to sack the worker. Like picking in small mistakes or giving him a bad assessment then sack him.

So jn other countries, worker go you have to pay compensation regardless of reason. Because the will take time to find another job.

To safeguard himself the employer becomes very careful when he hires people and does more thorough background checks ...and have longer probation periods.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(26-02-2024, 12:01 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  If you have retrenchment benefits, the employer will just find other ways to sack the worker. Like picking in small mistakes or giving him a bad assessment then sack him.So  jn other countries, worker go you have to pay compensation regardless of reason. Because the will take time to find another job. To safeguard himself the employer becomes very careful when he hires people and does more thorough background checks ...and have longer probation periods.

During Dr Tan See Leng's time as CEO of Parkway Pantai, the company would pressure older staff to resign instead of being retrenched, so that only the notice period was paid to affected staff. "Pressure" is a polite term for making life a living hell to ensure that senior employees would throw in the towel. Those who hung on because they need the job to support their families, would eventually be forced to leave.

(26-02-2024, 12:08 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  During Dr Tan See Leng's time as CEO of Parkway Pantai, the company would pressure older staff to resign instead of being retrenched, so that only the notice period was paid to affected staff. "Pressure" is a polite term for making life a living hell to ensure that senior employees would throw in the towel. Those who hung on because they need the job to support their families, would eventually be forced to leave.

Frankly speaking which business wants to keep elderly workers.  ...it is govt policy to ask people to work longer but it is wishful thinking.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(26-02-2024, 12:38 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Frankly speaking which business wants to keep elderly workers.  ...it is govt policy to ask people to work longer but it is wishful thinking.

Job cuts are usually targeted to reduce headcount and eliminate a specific job description without due consideration to the affected senior staff’s long link to the company. The years of experience, rapport with important customers and knowledge about key accounts may not have been considered by the management. Downsizing affects even the employees who are spared; they may suffer increased stress, absenteeism and distrust of their management. Besides the work quality being affected, their sense of loyalty to the employer also diminishes. To pick up the slack, remaining staff end up with increased workloads or experience a job misfit resulting from the re‐organisation. The lack of job security may also lead these employees to look elsewhere for work.