Airlines push for single-pilot flights to cut costs despite safety fears

PUBLISHED 5 HOURS AGO

SYDNEY – Airlines and regulators are pushing to have just one pilot in the cockpit of passenger jets instead of two. It would lower costs and ease pressure from crew shortages, but placing such responsibility on a single person at the controls is unsettling for some.

More than 40 countries, including Germany, Britain and New Zealand, have asked the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), the United Nations body that sets aviation standards, to help make single-pilot flights a safe reality.

The European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) has also been working with planemakers to determine how solo flights would operate and preparing rules to oversee them. EASA said such services could start in 2027.

The plan does not sit well with pilots. It is a hard sell for passengers too.

Much more at: https://www.straitstimes.com/business/ai...fety-fears
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

Stupid move…safety is more important…any crash will damage the reputation of the airline for long term.
[+] 2 users Like lvlrsSTI's post

I wouldn't fly with any airlines that has only one pilot in the cockpit.

Safety hazard. Any emergencies one pilot won't be able to handle it.

tomorrow will be a better day

yes more MH370

auto pilot, auto landing tech oredi existed for decades.
maybe train some the cabin crew as standby, higher allowance

you n i are not taking planes to go anywhere

For long haul flight pilot need to take a rest or go toilet…I have ever seen pilot come out to go toilet or take a nap on the seat at economy class

In one of the plane crash of Air France, the pilot came out for a rest and the co-pilot failed to control the plane properly, minutes later the plane plunged into the Atlantic Ocean near Brazil.

(21-11-2022, 03:25 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  For long haul flight pilot need to take a rest or go toilet…I have ever seen pilot come out to go toilet or take a nap on the seat at economy class

most long 14 hrs flight pilots JBL wan, read books, sleep. They really busy only the first 30min and last 30mins

(21-11-2022, 03:34 PM)limpeh394 Wrote:  most long 14 hrs flight pilots JBL wan, read books, sleep. They really busy only the first 30min and last 30mins

Not true, in some parts of the world got big storms, must avoid and must control the plane fly through the heavy dark clouds without mistakes…furthermore the traffic in the sky is very heavy, must constantly check and avoid colliding with another flight below, above or nearby.

[Image: FD541294-08-C4-417-A-834-F-ECCFC9-EB8-DA6.gif]

Rishi and Olaf should demonstrate their confidence first and fly on planes with only one pilot. See whether they can survive longer than a lettuce.

(21-11-2022, 02:18 PM)surfer Wrote:  I wouldn't fly with any airlines that has only one pilot in the cockpit.

Safety hazard. Any emergencies one pilot won't be able to handle it.

i would rather fly MSA than sia w 1 pilot

(21-11-2022, 03:50 PM)talky Wrote:  i would rather fly MSA than sia w 1 pilot

The report mentioned only Germany , Britain and New Zealand are amongst the 40 countries that ask ICAO. 
Specifically mention China Eastern airline too.

tomorrow will be a better day