Retiree puzzled after bank can't track down RM32k in FD

Retiree puzzled after bank can't track down RM32k in FD
Andy Heong
Published:  Nov 17, 2021 6:59 AMhttps://www.malaysiakini.com/news/599522?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=dlvr.it&fbclid=IwAR23h22-sAmJdn_mNYFI-72ubhAI7Bk4Qqe-qRNa63PBZxTp5IV4_sV9_CE

Updated: 6:13 PM

Fixed deposits are often touted as a safe and easy investment method, but for retiree Goh Gaik Siah, the experience far differs.

Over the past seven years, Goh, 73, had attempted to track down the status of her fixed deposits amounting to RM32,380, which had allegedly disappeared.

In June 2014, she was told by Maybank that it had no record of her fixed deposit (FD), which was opened with Maybank Finance Bhd in 1998, and that perhaps she had withdrawn the deposit but had forgotten about it.

Since June 2014, Goh had made several inquiries on the matter but failed to get information on the status of the funds.

Subsequent inquiries over the years failed to yield any information on the status of the fixed deposit, or whether it had been declared as unclaimed money.

Goh formally wrote to Maybank in September 2014 requesting an update but no written response was received from the bank.

This was despite her having provided her FD certificates to the bank to assist in tracking and tracing her deposits.

“This went on for another year. Finally, in October 2015, I submitted a request for the bank to once again check if my FD was declared as unclaimed money.

“The bank called me to say that it was still unable to locate my FD. However, I never received any written reply from Maybank,” she told Malaysiakini.

Goh’s plight comes to light after a lawyer reportedly found that RM1 million in life savings held in fixed deposits at a renowned international bank had gone missing.

Laughing

Likely inside job. An employee must have realised her account was dormant for years. Closed it and took the money. Might not have tracks if this was done just before a system migration or in the days of paper forms.

Ex prime minister najib razak say malaysia is a land of endless possibility therefore biasa lah, some ketuanans may have sapu her money without her knowledge, just like the murdered mongolian model, Aminah, her immigration entry record to bolehland also can be deleted.

(17-11-2021, 07:40 PM)Gstalk Wrote:  Retiree puzzled after bank can't track down RM32k in FD
Andy Heong
Published:  Nov 17, 2021 6:59 AMhttps://www.malaysiakini.com/news/599522?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=dlvr.it&fbclid=IwAR23h22-sAmJdn_mNYFI-72ubhAI7Bk4Qqe-qRNa63PBZxTp5IV4_sV9_CE

Updated: 6:13 PM

Fixed deposits are often touted as a safe and easy investment method, but for retiree Goh Gaik Siah, the experience far differs.

Over the past seven years, Goh, 73, had attempted to track down the status of her fixed deposits amounting to RM32,380, which had allegedly disappeared.

In June 2014, she was told by Maybank that it had no record of her fixed deposit (FD), which was opened with Maybank Finance Bhd in 1998, and that perhaps she had withdrawn the deposit but had forgotten about it.

Since June 2014, Goh had made several inquiries on the matter but failed to get information on the status of the funds.

Subsequent inquiries over the years failed to yield any information on the status of the fixed deposit, or whether it had been declared as unclaimed money.

Goh formally wrote to Maybank in September 2014 requesting an update but no written response was received from the bank.

This was despite her having provided her FD certificates to the bank to assist in tracking and tracing her deposits.

“This went on for another year. Finally, in October 2015, I submitted a request for the bank to once again check if my FD was declared as unclaimed money.

“The bank called me to say that it was still unable to locate my FD. However, I never received any written reply from Maybank,” she told Malaysiakini.

Goh’s plight comes to light after a lawyer reportedly found that RM1 million in life savings held in fixed deposits at a renowned international bank had gone missing.

(17-11-2021, 07:43 PM)starbugs Wrote:  Likely inside job. An employee must have realised her account was dormant for years. Closed it and took the money. Might not have tracks if this was done just before a system migration or in the days of paper forms.

I think you are right, it is indeed an inside job, bank employee realized that the account is dormant for many years, some body inside the bank must have happily took it....Hope mdm Goh ask for an investigation to see who is the culprit... Angry

Likely inside job or hacked....transferred out without them knowing then all records erased

That is why some old folks always update bank book to check and make sure the money is still there.

If purely electronic imagine one day suddenly bank says you don't have any account with them no record of you in their system ...what are you going to do?

That is why some countries require banks to send out one bank upday every 6 months instead of pure electronic records without paper record.

Bank staff steals your money it's very hard to prove.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c...fying-cash

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(17-11-2021, 08:41 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Likely inside job or hacked....transferred out without them knowing then all records erased

That is why some old folks always update bank book to check and make sure the money is still there.

If purely electronic imagine one day suddenly bank says you don't have any account with them no record of you in their system ...what are you going to do?

That is why some countries require banks to send out one bank upday every 6 months instead of pure electronic records without paper record.

Bank staff steals your money it's very hard to prove.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c...fying-cash

Serve him right, so the long jail term will deter potential crooks from doing this ... Angry

Lan Chal lah …. any thing to do with Muddysian ….. sure boleh …. stupig to put $$$ in Mudbank … she must be a muddysian bodoh lah ….. go Berish in Mudbank lah

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

Had the same problem with this bank but in Singapore. They took quite a while to locate the money. The funny thing is that they can still send me the computer printout for the rollover fixed deposit every year, but when present the printout to them, they couldn't locate the money. Closed the account and withdrew all the money after that.

(17-11-2021, 10:06 PM)Clyde Wrote:  Had the same problem with this bank but in Singapore. They took quite a while to locate the money. The funny thing is that they can still send me the computer printout for the rollover fixed deposit every year, but when present the printout to them, they couldn't locate the money. Closed the account and withdrew all the money after that.

You have done the right thing, must be wary of mudlaysia.... Angry

Keep money in milo tin safer Laughing

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(17-11-2021, 07:49 PM)debono Wrote:  I think you are right, it is indeed an inside job, bank employee realized that the account is dormant for many years, some body inside the bank must have happily took it....Hope mdm Goh ask for an investigation to see who is the culprit... Angry
Don’t opt for such a bank even they pay higher interest rates. Not worthwhile at all.

This bank security is no good. I now recall one incident years ago when I held a credit card with them. One day, I received a letter that my change of phone number has been successful. But the thing I didn't request to change my phone number. I also didn't recognise the new phone number on the letter. I call the bank up and explained the situation, but the CSO repeatedly claimed she couldn't change back the number over the phone. I had to keep insisting and point out any OTP SMS was now going to the new number, before the CSO realised the security implications. Something seriously wrong with their internal systems. No follow-up apology or letter saying they will investigate etc. I cancelled my card not long after that.

(18-11-2021, 10:13 AM)starbugs Wrote:  This bank security is no good. I now recall one incident years ago when I held a credit card with them. One day, I received a letter that my change of phone number has been successful. But the thing I didn't request to change my phone number. I also didn't recognise the new phone number on the letter. I call the bank up and explained the situation, but the CSO repeatedly claimed she couldn't change back the number over the phone. I had to keep insisting and point out any OTP SMS was now going to the new number, before the CSO realised the security implications. Something seriously wrong with their internal systems. No follow-up apology or letter saying they will investigate etc. I cancelled my card not long after that.
Hv to be very careful with all foreign bank especially this bank from bolehland.  Don't be lured into their tricks of giving you so much freebies.  Ultimately, they take back everything away from you.

(18-11-2021, 11:20 AM)Gemstar Wrote:  Hv to be very careful with all foreign bank especially this bank from bolehland.  Don't be lured into their tricks of giving you so much freebies.  Ultimately, they take back everything away from you.

Best is all your banking, credit cards and payment transaction set it up with 2FA and alert.

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Tangsen's post