Any Linux Mint Users Here ?

sorry to ask this but i never tried Linux before................so if i use Linux Mint instead of Windows 10.............

Mint comes with its own web browser ?..............like i use Window's browser to download Chrome or Mozilla ?

thinking of switching to Mint in the near future............

many thanks in advance................

I on UBUNTU
and also using Desktop Rasberry pi persistence for watching TV video etc on a SD card
meaning at bootup u can choose without or reset what u have done
Installing after update ; full-upgrade ,of firefox by this command
sudo apt install firefox-esr
syncing all your bookmarks a breeze if u have a running computer
set to sycing now for another
I have not actually bought a Rasberry pi model
[Image: Screenshot-2022-01-16-raspberry-pi-4-Google-Search.png]

(17-01-2022, 03:26 AM)singlon Wrote:  I on UBUNTU
and also using Desktop Rasberry pi persistence for watching TV video etc on a SD card
meaning at bootup u can choose without or reset what u have done
Installing after update ; full-upgrade ,of firefox by this command
sudo apt install firefox-esr
syncing all your bookmarks a breeze if u have a running computer
set to sycing now for another
I have not actually bought a Rasberry pi model
[Image: Screenshot-2022-01-16-raspberry-pi-4-Google-Search.png]

sorry, bro...............i very novice lah...............

so Linux will have its own browser like windows have IE ?.............so i can download Chrome or Firefox right ? Huh

very confusing leh.............Ubuntu.............then Mint..............then each one got Cinnammon, etc etc.............. Huh

(17-01-2022, 06:06 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  sorry, bro...............i very novice lah...............

so Linux will have its own browser like windows have IE ?.............so i can download Chrome or Firefox right ? Huh

very confusing leh.............Ubuntu.............then Mint..............then each one got Cinnammon, etc etc.............. Huh

I've used Debian and Ubuntu for the last few years, now using Arch Linux and Manjaro.

In each one you can use Chrome but usually I don't.

I can understand what u going thr.
Many types and versions.
Some  use firefox some chromium as pre-installed
There is a way to use immediately and project into the future
using Imager. Images of the OS u want'
U start with ubuntu 20.0.4 from where we left off.
Now we can update that.
This is the basis of getting imager snaps for various softwares.,
U can manage Disks  really manage like create image of ur system.
You can also Gparted your disks in another.
Raspberry Pi has everything hidden like programming all sorts etc.
We r the ones lacking in knowlege and skills./

(17-01-2022, 06:06 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  sorry, bro...............i very novice lah...............

Browser up to you to choose. 
Common and uncommon all available.

(17-01-2022, 06:09 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I've used Debian and Ubuntu for the last few years, now using Arch Linux and Manjaro.

In each one you can use Chrome but usually I don't.

so go where to download ah ?................i keep hearing this distro or that distro...............but what's that ah ?

can't go to Linux website to download the OS meh ?

(17-01-2022, 06:17 PM)singlon Wrote:  I can understand what u going thr.
Many types and versions.
Some  use firefox some chromium as pre-installed
There is a way to use immediately and project into the future
using Imager. Images of the OS u want'
U start with ubuntu 20.0.4 from where we left off.
Now we can update that.
This is the basis of getting imager snaps for various softwares.,
U can manage Disks  really manage like create image of ur system.
You can also Gparted your disks in another.
Raspberry Pi has everything hidden like programming all sorts etc.
We r the ones lacking in knowlege and skills./

so confirm got browser pre-installed ?

(17-01-2022, 08:44 PM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  Browser up to you to choose. 
Common and uncommon all available.

but it does have its own browser or other browser installed ?

so i can go online and download browser of my choice ?

(17-01-2022, 01:40 AM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  sorry to ask this but i never tried Linux before................so if i use Linux Mint instead of Windows 10.............

Mint comes with its own web browser ?..............like i use Window's browser to download Chrome or Mozilla ?

thinking of switching to Mint in the near future............

many thanks in advance................
I use DOS

(25-01-2022, 09:37 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  so go where to download ah ?................i keep hearing this distro or that distro...............but what's that ah ?

can't go to Linux website to download the OS meh ?

Just read that you've never used Linux before. Then my advice is to go for Debian or its variant, Ubuntu, since they're the easiest to install and you'll get plenty of tips from many because they're so popular. 

Go to the Linux distro website to download the image file. For example, if want to install Arch Linux can go to archlinux.org, download the iso file (on the right top corner I think). I install Arch on Virtualbox so just follow the steps. Not as straightforward for Arch that's why I think you'd better go to Debian or Ubuntu for now.

But I'm curious, why you want to try Linux? If for interest or you want to make use of an old PC then ok, but if you merely want to use the 'normal' stuff then it's better to stick to Windows. IMO, Windows still offer better user experience.

(25-01-2022, 10:00 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Just read that you've never used Linux before. Then my advice is to go for Debian or its variant, Ubuntu, since they're the easiest to install and you'll get plenty of tips from many because they're so popular. 

Go to the Linux distro website to download the image file. For example, if want to install Arch Linux can go to archlinux.org, download the iso file (on the right top corner I think). I install Arch on Virtualbox so just follow the steps. Not as straightforward for Arch that's why I think you'd better go to Debian or Ubuntu for now.

But I'm curious, why you want to try Linux? If for interest or you want to make use of an old PC then ok, but if you merely want to use the 'normal' stuff then it's better to stick to Windows. IMO, Windows still offer better user experience.

i was interested in Linux becoz people say can use with old hardware mah...........i intend to use my pc till it dies so Win10 or Win11 might be obsolete liao..........

so Linux won't have things like watching videos and photos ??.............if like that then must stick with Windows liao..........

(21-04-2023, 12:45 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  i was interested in Linux becoz people say can use with old hardware mah...........i intend to use my pc till it dies so Win10 or Win11 might be obsolete liao..........

so Linux won't have things like watching videos and photos ??.............if like that then must stick with Windows liao..........

Linux back in the 90s is used by hobbyist and developers. Later Linux infiltrate into the servers market segment and the rest is history. My recent employment all using Linux as backend servers replacing IBM AIX, SunOS those traditional Unix titans.

For your case you are a normal user wonder if Linux despite it is now more GUI-enabled is suitable for your case. All I know is Windows a lot of click and drag and drop etc way more friendly than Linux. Linux all have it's equivalent but whether you can get used to it is another matter.

Just for record I am still using Linux purely for development in employment work. Off-work at home back to Windows yeah.

(21-04-2023, 02:07 PM)sgh Wrote:  Linux back in the 90s is used by hobbyist and developers. Later Linux infiltrate into the servers market segment and the rest is history. My recent employment all using Linux as backend servers replacing IBM AIX, SunOS those traditional Unix titans.

For your case you are a normal user wonder if Linux despite it is now more GUI-enabled is suitable for your case. All I know is Windows a lot of click and drag and drop etc way more friendly than Linux. Linux all have it's equivalent but whether you can get used to it is another matter.

Just for record I am still using Linux purely for development in employment work. Off-work at home back to Windows yeah.

looks like a novice like me better stick to Windows liao............ Confused

(21-04-2023, 10:03 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  looks like a novice like me better stick to Windows liao............ Confused

You better stick to Windows in my opinion.

(21-04-2023, 10:12 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  You better stick to Windows in my opinion.

looks like boh pian.............i was using Windows 7 (32-bit) up to October 2021..............don't know can use Windows 10 Pro up to when hor......... Sad

https://y.yarn.co/773a8c98-5f66-4ac7-92d...1_text.gif

Hey there, I'm new here. Don't worry about bumping, we all do it from time to time. As for your question, sometimes we gotta move on to bigger and better things. Personally, I'm planning on making the switch to CentOS8 soon.

Hey, I'm new here and just stumbled upon your post. I'm a Linux Mint user, and I gotta say, it's a great OS. If you're thinking of switching from Windows 10, I highly recommend giving it a shot. And to answer your question, yes, Mint comes with its own web browser called Firefox. But don't worry, you can still download Chrome or Mozilla just like you would on Windows. By the way, I noticed that this is a pretty old post. Have you made the switch to Mint yet? If not, what's holding you back? And speaking of Linux, have you heard about centos 7 eol? It's a pretty big deal in the Linux community right now. Anyway, hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions about Mint or Linux in general!