Bank interest very low now

one of my relative just came back from bank told me literally interest so low compare to few months back.

(27-10-2023, 04:59 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  one of my relative just came back from bank told me literally interest so low compare to few months back.

Which bank har....DBS or UOB ?

Went to BOC recently. Many people there opening FD account. This is one of the bank that give more than 3% interest. DBS gives 3.2% for deposit amount of up to $19,999.

(27-10-2023, 05:28 PM)Clyde Wrote:  Went to BOC recently. Many people there opening FD account. This is one of the bank that give more than 3% interest. DBS gives 3.2% for deposit amount of up to $19,999.

BOC and ICBC all can use mobile app to DIY place FD. BOC typically minimum is 5K. ICBC typically minimum is 500. Both can terminate FD early via app still get base interest.

Banks here flushed with too much deposits.

I just placed RHB at 3.6%

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(27-10-2023, 06:14 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  I just placed RHB at 3.6%

Last week 12 month T-Bill is 3.7%

(27-10-2023, 06:21 PM)sgh Wrote:  Last week 12 month T-Bill is 3.7%

Stashaway 3.8% for 1 mth, you want to place.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(27-10-2023, 05:28 PM)Clyde Wrote:  Went to BOC recently. Many people there opening FD account. This is one of the bank that give more than 3% interest. DBS gives 3.2% for deposit amount of up to $19,999.
BOC gave the best fixed deposit rates among other banks.

Sorry . . .sometimes i switch off when my mum is noisy

She said 3.25% from UOB

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

Maybank is 3.65%.
I like to deposit in May bank. Get interest first.

https://www.maybank2u.com.sg/en/promotio...posit.page

(27-10-2023, 06:29 PM)Ola Wrote:  Sorry . . .sometimes i switch off when my mum is noisy

She said 3.25% from UOB

UOB,OCBC and DBS, don’t waste time. Rotfl

Even US bonds give 5% rate now.

(27-10-2023, 06:14 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  I just placed RHB at 3.6%
I wil never place money in this bank no matter how high their interest rate is.

(27-10-2023, 07:00 PM)Gemstar Wrote:  I wil never place money in this bank no matter how high their interest rate is.

Why?

(27-10-2023, 05:51 PM)sgh Wrote:  BOC and ICBC all can use mobile app to DIY place FD. BOC typically minimum is 5K. ICBC typically minimum is 500. Both can terminate FD early via app still get base interest.

You need to have a saving account with them to transfer money into the FD account. Cannot transfer from another bank. Then, you have to maintain a minimum sum in the saving account.

Still high lah, last time bank was having promotion of 1.X percent, long queue outside.

(27-10-2023, 07:05 PM)Clyde Wrote:  You need to have a saving account with them to transfer money into the FD account. Cannot transfer from another bank. Then, you have to maintain a minimum sum in the saving account.

BOC cheapest account I found is minimum $200. ICBC no minimum for that multi-currency account.

(27-10-2023, 07:01 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Why?
RHB and CIMB are unreliable banks. I don’t trust them. I rather forgo the extra % from them and put it in safer banks like BOC and UOB. Each individuals hv their own views and is up to them to decide.

Malaysian bank their currency drop alot....so scare they close shop ?

Better go buy US treasury. 5% and secure. Not only this the USD likely to get stronger in the next 12 mths to 15 mths.. till end of 2024. U gain too in exchange rate

(27-10-2023, 07:55 PM)Gemstar Wrote:  RHB and CIMB are unreliable banks. I don’t trust them. I rather forgo the extra % from them and put it in safer banks like BOC and UOB. Each individuals hv their own views and is up to them to decide.

pap guarantee 75k now and will become 100k soon. so long u are within this amount pap will pay u. why u worry so much? u scared pap no money?

(27-10-2023, 09:49 PM)sogo Wrote:  pap guarantee 75k now and will become 100k soon. so long u are within this amount pap will pay u. why u worry so much? u scared pap no money?

Well said.
Banks in SG are generally safe. They are well controlled and regulated by MAS who wants to ensure SG is a highly reliable financial hub.

Since when have we seen a run in a bank in SG ??

Foreign banks borrow from deposit rich local banks for a premium in their daily operations. Instead of paying the premium to DBS etc, they rather give the extra rates to customers. That's why foreign banks pay higher  FD rates.

(27-10-2023, 07:55 PM)Gemstar Wrote:  RHB and CIMB are unreliable banks. I don’t trust them. I rather forgo the extra % from them and put it in safer banks like BOC and UOB. Each individuals hv their own views and is up to them to decide.

There is not such thing called safe bank.
Let you see this.

https://www.sdic.org.sg/sm_list/di_scheme_members

2006 I heard Lehman very high end bank. In the end also burst. Lol

Buy shares when market come down easily can get more yield %age than bank......

Goondoo
Tbill still give  the highest rate

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️