Asians still live in fear in U.S.A.

By Jessie Yeung, CNN
Updated 0001 GMT (0801 HKT) January 30, 2022

New York (CNN)One spring morning last year, Vilma Kari was strolling through midtown Manhattan on her way to church when she was suddenly attacked by a stranger.

"You don't belong here, you Asian," he said, cursing and beating her so violently that Vilma, then 65, was left with serious pelvic injuries.
Later, Vilma realized that closed-circuit video of those nightmarish moments had gone viral online, placing her at the center of a media storm over anti-Asian attacks during the pandemic.

The spike in hate crimes was particularly pronounced in New York, where more than 14% of the population is Asian or Pacific Islander

this January has brought more horrifying news: the death of a 62-year-old Asian man from injuries inflicted in an attack in New York last April, and the alleged murder of Michelle Go, who was pushed into the path of a Times Square subway train.

This Sunday community members and activists are holding rallies across six major cities to honor victims of anti-Asian racism, including 84-year-old Thai American Vicha Ratanapakdee who died after an attack last January.

Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) organizations say America hasn't become any safer for the community in the past year

Chilling video of Vilma's attack went viral -- and not just because of the violence.

Filmed from what appears to be a security camera inside an Midtown apartment complex, a man can be seen kicking Vilma as she collapses on the pavement outside.

At the same time, two doormen inside the building watch the incident, with one closing the building's glass doors as it happens. They wait a minute for the perpetrator to leave before going outside.

During that time, two other people come and go from the building, appearing to walk past Vilma as she lies motionless on the street.

A nationwide survey of more than 1,000 AAPI respondents from September to October found that roughly one in five had experienced a hate incident in the past 12 months

In New York City, reports of hate crimes to police have surged since 2019 -- rising to 28 in 2020, then 131 last year.

This rise in attacks has led to increased anxiety and mistrust in the community -- and older AAPI people in particular are more afraid to go out for fear of being targeted

Minerva Chin, 68, never used to think twice before going out for evening walks or to run errands at night. But one day last July, Chin, a Chinese American teacher and community activist, was punched by a stranger in the street while walking through a part of Chinatown she knows well. She passed out and suffered a mild concussion; her attacker disappeared into the crowd and was never caught.

Tommy Lau knows this feeling well. Having worked as a bus driver for over a decade, he has encountered countless aggressive passengers slinging racial slurs.

But the frequency and intensity of racist vitriol has gotten worse since the pandemic

On March 23, a week before Vilma's attack, he witnessed a man trying to mug an elderly Asian couple. When Lau tried to intervene, the man punched him in the face and used a racial slur. "Then he spat at me," Lau said.

Lau suffered a concussion and had to take half a year of unpaid leave to recover, regularly attending physical rehabilitation for months. Sometimes, he felt so dizzy he couldn't stand.

Making matters worse, he said, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) didn't pay him any workers' compensation because the confrontation had happened during Lau's lunch break, which is not classified as working hours.

They also pointed to the problem of underreporting and the NYPD's narrow definition of hate crimes, which prevent authorities from measuring the true scale of the problem.

Under the NYPD's rules, unless there is clear evidence of motive -- for instance, an attacker yelling a racial or discriminatory slur -- many attacks aren't classified as hate crimes, and convicted perpetrators may be given a lesser sentence depending on the charge.

When Chin was punched in Chinatown, "nothing was said ... so they don't classify it as a hate crime," she said.

"Fear lingers most of the time," she added. "I don't feel comfortable walking outside alone."

Better to read full article athttps://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/29/us/as...index.html
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

Terrible place...really don't understand why some Singaporeans go there ....maybe for jobs but js it really worth it to risk your life and your family's safety?

I really don't think so

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

White man supremacy and Black man ignorance

Getting worse!

Kokee aka Century aka Alam should go and live there!

no issue for all my asian colleges who based in USA leh

(30-01-2022, 09:20 PM)happyharvest Wrote:  no issue for all my asian colleges who based in USA leh

My Asian relatives, ex-colleagues, ex-schoolmates are all quite ok. Yes, they are warier nowadays when going out at night or to a place they frequent less but for places where they frequent, they are all ok. Just need to limit your zone of activities to places you know well I guess. However, the article's victims are in their comfort zones too when they were beaten up so maybe, umm, hard to say.

(31-01-2022, 06:33 AM)Levin Wrote:  My Asian relatives, ex-colleagues, ex-schoolmates are all quite ok. Yes, they are warier nowadays when going out at night or to a place they frequent less but for places where they frequent, they are all ok. Just need to limit your zone of activities to places you know well I guess. However, the article's victims are in their comfort zones too when they were beaten up so maybe, umm, hard to say.

Additional note: quite a few has returned to Singapore and Malaysia though. Although I think it is not because of racism but because of the pandemic.

Why Alam and his flg not be in US and let the black there hammered them?   

(30-01-2022, 09:20 PM)happyharvest Wrote:  no issue for all my asian colleges who based in USA leh

Sure or not?  

Asians are targets of black in USA. The black wanted to revenge as they are 2nd class hitting the 3rd class Asians. They dared not touch 1st class whites.  

You just search for video of black attack in video in public transport and places.  

[+] 1 user Likes webinarian's post

(31-01-2022, 06:45 AM)webinarian Wrote:  Sure or not?  

Asians are targets of black in USA. The black wanted to revenge as they are 2nd class hitting the 3rd class Asians. They dared not touch 1st class whites.  

You just search for video of black attack in video in public transport and places.  

never heard any racism complain from people I know. I even interviewed a few and they are happy there.

common, its a better life there

(31-01-2022, 06:36 AM)Levin Wrote:  Additional note: quite a few has returned to Singapore and Malaysia though. Although I think it is not because of racism but because of the pandemic.

Apologies. Spoken to a couple of them today. They came back because racism does play a part.

in the first place why they Kay Kiang want to live in a White Face place ?