https://www.asiasentinel.com/p/australia...pore-fraud

Mentioned:
EZRA Holdings, Triyards, Chairman LIONEL LEE CHYE TECK
KTL Global, Tan Kheng Yeow
DBS
Allen & Gledhill, Edwin Tong

ECONOMY / BUSINESS
Australian Woman’s Fight to Prove Singapore Fraud
Harassed and vilified by unknown parties, she continues to press case despite bank’s explanations

John Berthelsen
Jan 12

For six years, an Australian woman named Julie O’Connor (above) has vainly been tilting against the Singapore establishment in an effort to raise claims of fraud and what she calls a cover-up by powerful people over the acquisition of the Singapore and Vietnam assets of an Australia-based firm, Strategic Marine Pty Ltd. She alleges her husband Terry O'Connor, a shareholder, was thwarted in his attempts to acquire a controlling interest via pre-emptive rights he possessed.

For her efforts, O’Connor says she has been vilified on social media, publicly referred to online as a cockroach, obese, her photographs have been doctored into news articles which falsely showed her family members as being convicted pedophiles, all while she says she has otherwise been ignored by Singapore officials, all of whom repeatedly argue that evidence of any crime in Singapore is lacking.

Facebook attack

O’Connor says she has recently been notified by Facebook (below) that she has been targeted by sophisticated spyware not normally used by individuals but rather intrusive states, along with several other Singaporeans at odds with authorities including independent journalists Terry Xu and Kirsten Han and others. There is no indication of where the attacks are coming from.

Attempts also have been made to hack O’Connor’s website, www.bankingonthetruth.com, and intimidating messages have been posted threatening that someone would fly to Australia to kill her, as the screenshots below show.

As far as O’Connor knows, these online attacks/emails have never been investigated by Singapore police, even though some have been sent to her husband and daughter at their place of work. Senior figures from DBS, Singapore Police, and the Singapore Government were copied in, she says.

O’Connor has bombarded DBS Bank, Southeast Asia’s and Singapore’s largest in terms of assets, with emails and letters and has sought help from Marcus Lim, manager of the DBS account for the Monetary Authority of Singapore, Tharman Shanmugaratnam, a Senior PAP minister and chairman of the MAS, Lucien Wong, Singapore’s attorney general, K Shanmugam, the Singapore law minister, and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong himself, to no avail.

Enquiries by Asia Sentinel to the Monetary Authority of Singapore, the Ministry of Law, and other agencies were met with minimal comment. A spokeswoman for the MAS said ‘MAS takes all allegations of fraud seriously, and had responded to Ms. O’Connor earlier and followed up on her concerns. Our engagements with members of the public and financial institutions are confidential, and the details of such interactions are not shared with third parties.”

The office of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong told Asia Sentinel by email that the office has “corresponded directly with Ms. Julie O’Connor regarding her allegations, and will continue to engage her as necessary. We will not be commenting further on the matter, or responding to the questions you have posed, as it is inappropriate for us to discuss such matters with third parties.”

Allegations against tycoon

O’Connor’s allegations involve Lionel Lee Chye Tek, who at the time was managing director of Ezra Holdings and chairman of its subsidiary Triyards, which were involved in offshore services, ship construction, global offshore, and marine industries. The group at that time was aiming to consolidate its position as one of the largest offshore services players in the Asia-Pacific region and was, at that point, darling on the Stock Exchange of Singapore

Lionel Lee was alleged by others to have caused four forged signatures to be affixed to legal documents on behalf of a no-longer-operating Bahamas company, documents which related to Strategic Marine, the firm Lionel Lee’s company was attempting to acquire. An associate of Lee, the then-CEO of KTL Global, Tan Kheng Yeow, was allegedly enlisted to enter into an irrevocable option deed to acquire power of attorney for the company. O’Connor charged that was an attempt to defraud her husband by persuading him his claim was worthless and that he should sell his 4 percent shareholding for A$1.

After Lee’s initial attempt to acquire Strategic Marine through Tan – for A$7 – was frustrated due to allegations of forgery, DBS would enter the arena. At issue with DBS, she said, were two letters purportedly from bank officials that were used to downgrade Strategic Marine’s week-old independent valuation by A$30-40 million and retroactively strip away O’Connor’s exercised pre-emptive right, prior to Lee’s attempt to acquire the firm for just A$1.265 million. A request to the DBS law firm Wong Partnership to explain the valuation downgrade was not answered.

DBS’s legal staff, O’Connor alleged, was asked by Australian legal firm Minter Ellison to authenticate the two letters, which she displayed for Asia Sentinel and which she describes as littered with errors or irregularities that banks aren’t supposed to make, including lack of a bank address on the stationery, absence of reference, and missing or duplicate bullet points. After eight weeks, she says, during which time Lee completed the acquisition, DBS refused to authenticate the letters, citing banking secrecy obligations.

DBS, through Wong Partnership, says its investigations “confirmed that the two letters in question are authentic and originated from our clients. Further, the results of these investigations were provided to Mr. & Mrs. O’Connor on previous occasions and that the O’Connors refused to accept the findings.”

Lee, acting on behalf of Triyards, ultimately acquired the Strategic Marine assets despite the Triyards Board’s awareness of O’Connor’s husband’s exercise of his pre-emptive right, the O’Connors charge. Lee at the time was represented by the high-profile Singapore law firm Allen & Gledhill, which was headed by the current Attorney General Lucien Wong. Lee's personal lawyer was said to be Edwin Tong, now Singapore’s second law minister.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I ran through the article, this is my understanding

1. A number of people are  alleged to be involved in fraud..

2. Fraud involved 2 documents one grants power of attorney to cede control to Lionel Lee's associate. The other is DBS valuation of company at $1.25M previously it was valued at $35M...

3. DBS has verified the 2nd document to be authentic through its lawyers....and that it is from its clients. 

4. The 1st documents contained signatures of other shareholders that led to sale or agreement to sell at 1$. One of whom, Vincent,  said he did not sign. 

5. O Connor who was a 4% was persuaded to sell for $1 thinking rest have agreed. He paid $300K for the stake. The 1st document  was disputed hence the 2nd  document  was used. 

6. Using the DBS letter(2nd doc)  they able to strip O Connor of his present emptive right and attempted to sell the company for $1+M to Lionel Lee. 

There are just too many missing details to assess the case:
1. Husband held pre emptive right.... That right of first refusal when company is sold.  Did he make a better offer?  If not he foregoes  his right.

2. If power of attorney is forged and has 4 signatures.  Why didn't the rest complain?

3. What is the financial state of the company?  Was it in trouble?

Assuming all these led to assets being transferred /sold to Lionel Lee for cheap price, the way to tell if something fishy and untoward potentially happened is to know what the assets were  worth when this took place.

It is not uncommon for company with debts exceeding assets to be sold for $1 to someone willing to inject cash to keep it going e.g. Malaysia sale of Lotus. In such cases liquidation value is not enough to pay debts.

If the company is worth more and shareholders practically gave it away it would need some kind of conspiracy involving other shareholders to defraud O Conner. Her husband held only 4% the rest with  96% were willing to let go at the offer price.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Some analysis :
1. O Conner purchase 4% stake at 300K.  Total valuation for company $7.5M.
2. Sale to Lionel at $1.26M was attempted following some valuation documents from DBS ....power of attorney was attempted and price was $7

A few things I find problematic. In 2014 when the he acquisition took place oil was at all time high and so were valuation of marine stocks. Unless this company is totally mismanaged it would have ride the wave up... It is strange that the O Conner was persuaded to sell at a few dollars.

The eventual sale when reported was A$23M not $1+M stated in the article.

[Image: Screenshot-2022-01-19-07-20-27-076.jpg]

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/compani...-for-a233m

So basically the complain revolves around
1. Attempt deny O Conner his pre emptive right.
2. Attempt to defraud O Conner to selling at depressed prices of $7 and $1.26M.

Since the company was sold for A$23M. Any attempt to get O Conner to sell at way below this pricing is involving some documents looks suspicious.

I am surprised nobody has stepped up to assist this woman:
1. She has the documents to show these attempts.
2. Eventual sale at A$23M is a public fact.

At the minimum there is potential wrong doing here.

If you read her more detailed account.
It clearly highlight a number of problematic issues.

The letters invokve attempts to give lowball valuation for the company to enable the acquirer to take over at low price. The acquirer is then alleged to have used the assets as collateral with the bank yhat issued the letters.

It is quite surprising all these have not result in investigation given O Conner posted evidence out jn the open.

https://www.bankingonthetruth.com/post/t...pore-fraud

my intention is to highlight this ...

"she has been targeted by sophisticated spyware not normally used by individuals but rather intrusive states, along with several other Singaporeans at odds with authorities including independent journalists Terry Xu and Kirsten Han and others. There is no indication of where the attacks are coming from."

ALA spams on SGTALK every night?

(19-01-2022, 12:24 PM)SGSeniorCitizen1952 Wrote:  my intention is to highlight this ...

"she has been targeted by sophisticated spyware not normally used by individuals but rather intrusive states, along with several other Singaporeans at odds with authorities including independent journalists Terry Xu and Kirsten Han and others. There is no indication of where the attacks are coming from."

ALA spams on SGTALK every night?

None of this is unexpected in our environment.

(19-01-2022, 04:30 AM)SGSeniorCitizen1952 Wrote:  https://www.asiasentinel.com/p/australia...pore-fraud

Mentioned:
EZRA Holdings, Triyards, Chairman LIONEL LEE CHYE TECK
KTL Global, Tan Kheng Yeow
DBS
Allen & Gledhill, Edwin Tong

Long time ago I went to Ezra office, very posh. But the young master was so eager to take over his dad's biz... Kind of expected a bad ending given the leverage play that was common then...