Beh Leh Hainan Satay

(23-05-2022, 12:55 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  But she grew up in Shanghai and the U.S., I doubt she could speak Hainanese

Her father’s surname was Han and he changed to Soong. Her mother is Shanghainese. She could only speak Shanghai dialect and English, she doesn’t speak Mandarin and Hainanese.

I surmised that she should be able to speak Mandarin as Mrs Sun Yat Sen and also being much respected in the PRC.

(23-05-2022, 02:04 PM)SotongOngTee Wrote:  I surmised that she should be able to speak Mandarin as Mrs Sun Yat Sen and also being much respected in the PRC.

She really did not speak Mandarin. Only Shanghainese and English.

(23-05-2022, 02:04 PM)SotongOngTee Wrote:  I surmised that she should be able to speak Mandarin as Mrs Sun Yat Sen and also being much respected in the PRC.

Dr Sun spoke Cantonese but not Shanghainese, Mrs Sun spoke English and Shanghai dialect only, she didn’t speak Mandarin or Cantonese, the two communicated in English.

(23-05-2022, 02:13 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  Dr Sun spoke Cantonese but not Shanghainese, Mrs Sun spoke English and Shanghai dialect only, she didn’t speak Mandarin or Cantonese, the two communicated in English.

Furthermore Soong’s father is a Hakka and his family migrated to Hainan.

(23-05-2022, 12:25 PM)hansamu Wrote:  So you must be a pure Hainanese Foo ?

Nope, my mum sir name is Foo , my dad is tan so mine is tan

(23-05-2022, 02:25 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  Furthermore Soong’s father is a Hakka and his family migrated to Hainan.

That was a long time ago. 1197 to be exact. They settled in Wenchang County, Hainan that year. And moved again during Qing Dynasty but were mainly still considered from Wenchang as they were there for so long.
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post