Buyers of HDB units are merely tenants

(19-02-2024, 08:50 PM)webinarian Wrote:  
Even private property, you are only hope for luck that you have enbloc. I haven't got any also though I have dreamt for it over so many years.  

I think u dun understand the legal concept. For a private property, u can use the title deed to take out a loan from any bank. That is a well known concept in the business world. But u cannot do that with a HDB. That is why I say, what u r paying a million dollars for, is it worth it ?
[+] 3 users Like *天哥*'s post

It is not about lease duration but legal ownership and entitlement.
[+] 2 users Like *天哥*'s post

For a private condo, u dun hope for enbloc but you can call for an enbloc. There is no way you can call for an enbloc with HDB. Get it now ?
[+] 1 user Likes *天哥*'s post

I have been through 2 enblocs, so I think I am qualified to share with u. In a private enbloc, no matter it is 99 or 999 years, the project land is strata divided among all the condo owners including the unit owner's unit title. Herein lies the major difference.

And there is no restriction on when u can go enbloc for a private condo as long as all agree.u want, one year old project also can.

http://tinyurl.com/m458c5ac
[+] 2 users Like pinkypanther's post

(19-02-2024, 08:50 PM)webinarian Wrote:  Even private property, you are only hope for luck that you have enbloc. I haven't got any also though I have dreamt for it over so many years.  

The location of your condo, plot size and proximity to a MRT station will make the development either desirable or not for developers. 

Tenants still can sell off flat
That gemsty sold his 5 room flat and downgrade to 3 room flat
Money not enough mah

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

(20-02-2024, 10:48 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Tenants still can sell off flat. That gemsty sold his 5 room flat and downgrade to 3 room flat. Money not enough mah

Tenants sell off the remaining lease on the flat which belongs to the landlord, who is the HDB.
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(20-02-2024, 10:51 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Tenants sell off the remaining lease on the flat which belongs to the landlord, who is the HDB.
Sell off remaining lease better than stupid gemsty downgrade to 3 room small flat

☝️

(19-02-2024, 09:45 PM)pinkypanther Wrote:  http://tinyurl.com/m458c5ac

It is undeniable that 80% of residents in S'pore do not own their home. The HDB is the lessor (owner) and the buyer of the HDB flat is merely the lessee (tenant).

(19-02-2024, 02:45 PM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  very obvious TS just wanted to stirrrrrrrrr shitttttttt.

The HDB is the lessor (owner) and the buyer of the HDB flat is merely the lessee (tenant). End of lesson.

(20-02-2024, 11:12 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  The HDB is the lessor (owner) and the buyer of the HDB flat is merely the lessee (tenant). End of lesson.

That is why must obey hdb rules or else flat confiscated

☝️

A new term is needed for the owner/tenant, lessor/lesser, landlord/tenant, who shd enjoy the best of both worlds not the worst of them. The current terms are too ambiguous

(19-02-2024, 09:04 PM)*天哥* Wrote:  For a private condo, u dun hope for enbloc but you can call for an enbloc. There is no way you can call for an enbloc with HDB. Get it now ?

You are 100% spot on! Owners of condos may form their own committee to initiate a collective sale to a new developer whenever they wish toIf an agreement for an en bloc sale goes through, the buyer indemnifies the Singapore Land Authority to return the lease to its original 99-year tenure. In order to profit from the collective purchase, developers have to pay for an enhanced plot ratio to increase the number of units in the new development.

(19-02-2024, 09:09 PM)*天哥* Wrote:  I have been through 2 enblocs, so I think I am qualified to share with u. In a private enbloc, no matter it is 99 or 999 years, the project land is strata divided among all the condo owners including the unit owner's unit title. Herein lies the major difference.

Well Said!  HDB lessees have no possession of any strata titles since they have no ownership of the land where their block is situated on.  As such, the HDB is not being fair to their tenants by calculating the land cost when evaluating the price of its flats.

(19-02-2024, 09:02 PM)*天哥* Wrote:  It is not about lease duration but legal ownership and entitlement.

There are basic differences between a condo and HDB flat.  For a start, purchasers of HDB units should notice that their contracts are between the HDB as a lessor and the buyers as lessees. The term lessee expresses clearly that there is a length of time to the possession of the HDB flat, and it will be returned to the Govt with no residual value following the 99-year-duration of the lease.

(20-02-2024, 11:17 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  A new term is needed for the owner/tenant, lessor/lesser, landlord/tenant, who shd enjoy the best of both worlds not the worst of them. The current terms are too ambiguous

Since buyers of HDB units have only purchased a 99-year lease, they have no share of the land and no strata title. This fundamental difference is neither academic nor insignificant in any way. As only 4% of HDB flats have been identified for the Selective En bloc Redevelopment Scheme since it was launched in 1995, the steady and precipitous depreciation of such homes will destroy what many count on as retirement assets.

(20-02-2024, 11:13 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  That is why must obey hdb rules or else flat confiscated

Housing Board flats, which are subsidised by the Govt, are community properties sold under lease agreements that contain an assortment of rights that fall short of full ownership. This legal void leaves residents of HDB units with a great deal of limitations over their rights. Public flat dwellers are likely to have their homes confiscated if they fail to comply with the restrictive terms and conditions. 
[+] 2 users Like EvertonDiehard's post

(20-02-2024, 11:30 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Since buyers of HDB units have only purchased a 99-year lease, they have no share of the land and no strata title. This fundamental difference is neither academic nor insignificant in any way. As only 4% of HDB flats have been identified for the Selective En bloc Redevelopment Scheme since it was launched in 1995, the steady and precipitous depreciation of such homes will destroy what many count on as retirement assets.

You hv brought up a problem everyone already knows. Any solution?

(19-02-2024, 09:11 PM)*天哥* Wrote:  And there is no restriction on when u can go enbloc for a private condo as long as all agree.u want, one year old project also can.

Unlike owners of leasehold condos, HDB dwellers are not permitted to use even their fully paid-up flats as collateral to banks, to raise credit facilities for private loans. HDB also refers to flat owners as tenants, and those who rent from the owners as sub-tenants.

(20-02-2024, 11:35 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  You hv brought up a problem everyone already knows. Any solution?

Judging from some of the responses on this thread, a lot of Sinkies are still grossly ignorant.

(20-02-2024, 11:35 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  You hv brought up a problem everyone already knows. Any solution?

It is an Election year, so our leaders and HDB should consider carefully how the current lease arrangement fits in with the Govt's asset-enhancement policy for public housing.  As current arrangements do not accord buyers of HDB units actual ownership, this legal void leaves buyers with a great deal of uncertainty over their rights.

(20-02-2024, 11:41 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  It is an Election year, so our leaders and HDB should consider carefully how the current lease arrangement fits in with the Govt's asset-enhancement policy for public housing.  As current arrangements do not accord buyers of HDB units actual ownership, this legal void leaves buyers with a great deal of uncertainty over their rights.

If it ain't broke why fix it?

(20-02-2024, 11:48 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  If it ain't broke why fix it?

According to our leaders, public flats are intended to be permanent homes and not used to profit their owners. This runs counter to what Lawrence Wong told HDB flat residents - when he was National Development Minister - that their homes are stored value assets and a nest-egg for their retirement needs. You don't seem to know that this whole scheme needs an urgent overhaul.

Aiya problems everyone has. But what we need are solutions. Even my smart botak bro aso can't offer any idea

(20-02-2024, 12:05 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Aiya problems everyone has. But what we need are solutions. Even my smart botak bro aso can't offer any idea

Your bro needs to spend more time pondering over this issue instead of standing at Toa Payoh MRT station with his placard everyday.

[Image: Protest.jpg]

(20-02-2024, 12:05 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Aiya problems everyone has. But what we need are solutions. Even my smart botak bro aso can't offer any idea

Your bro will get to see more eye candy if he goes inside the MRT carriage, but I doubt he will have enough room with that lady in grey occupying so much space.

[Image: Crowded-Train.jpg]

(20-02-2024, 12:18 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Your bro needs to spend more time pondering o this issue instead of standing at Toa Payoh MRT station with his placard everyday.

[Image: Protest.jpg]

He stays near Ardmore park so he doesn't hv the lessor/lessee problems

(20-02-2024, 12:25 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  He stays near Ardmore park so he doesn't hv the lessor/lessee problems

My wife and I became upgraders from the heartlands more than 2 decades ago when the price of condos were still pretty sane.