Missouri man exonerated in 3 killings, free after more than 4 decades in jail

By HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH and MARGARET STAFFORD
an hour ago

A Kansas City man who was jailed for more than 40 years for three murders was released from prison Tuesday after a judge ruled that he was wrongfully convicted in 1979.

Kevin Strickland, 62, has always maintained that he was home watching television and had nothing to do with the killings, which happened when he was 18 years old. He learned of the decision when the news scrolled across the television screen as he was watching a soap opera.

Judge James Welsh, a retired Missouri Court of Appeals judge, ruled after a three-day evidentiary hearing requested by a Jackson County prosecutor who said evidence used to convict Strickland had since been recanted or disproven.

But Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican running for the U.S. Senate, said Strickland was guilty and had fought to keep him incarcerated.

Gov. Mike Parson, who declined Strickland’s clemency requests, tweeted simply that: “The Court has made its decision, we respect the decision, and the Department of Corrections will proceed with Mr. Strickland’s release immediately.”

More details at: https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-k...a7298a1dc3

America don't look like democracy to me, more like demon-cracy

80k for each Yr in jail

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.