The US pause on student loan payments is ending. Can borrowers repay the loans?

By COLLIN BINKLEY
2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a good month, Celina Chanthanouvong has about US$200 left after rent, groceries and car insurance. That doesn’t factor in her student loans, which have been on hold since the start of the pandemic and are estimated to cost US$300 a month. The pause in repayment has been a lifeline keeping the 25-year-old afloat.

“I don’t even know where I would begin to budget that money,” said Chanthanouvong, who works in marketing in San Francisco.

Now, after more than three years, the lifeline is being pulled away.

More than 40 million Americans will be on the hook for federal student loan payments starting in late August

Without cancellation, the Education Department predicts borrowers will fall behind on their loans at historic rates.

“I worry that we’re going to see levels of default of new graduates that we’ve never seen before,” said Natalia Abrams, president of the nonprofit Student Debt Crisis Center.

Chanthanouvong earned a bachelor’s in sociology from the University of California-Merced in 2019. She couldn’t find a job for a year, leaving her to rely on odd jobs for income. She found a full-time job last year, but at US$70,000, her salary barely covers the cost of living in the Bay Area.

“I’m not going out. I don’t buy Starbucks every day. I’m cooking at home,” she said. “And sometimes, I don’t even have $100 after everything.”

Much more at: https://apnews.com/article/student-loan-...ea2c0bbfd5

I saw the US debate in this

Some of the Republicans leaders stand up to say it is unfair to waive payments for those on students loans because others have paid up their students loan and it would be unfair to them.

This argument is amazing it is saying govt cannot help a group of people because earlier group did not get the help and it is unfair. Like that govt can never give out new help ....because there are people in the past who never got this help.

There are more intelligent arguments against waiver of student loans ....this one is just stupid

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(08-06-2023, 12:36 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I saw the US debate in this

Some of the Republicans leaders stand up to say it is unfair to waive payments for those on students loans because others have paid up their students loan and it would be unfair to them.

This argument is amazing it is saying govt cannot help a group of people because earlier group did not get the help and it is unfair. Like that govt can never give out new help ....because there are people in the past who never got this help.

There are more intelligent arguments against waiver of student loans ....this one is just stupid

Follow Bumi boleh.

(08-06-2023, 12:42 PM)Blin Wrote:  Follow Bumi boleh.

The write off if any is about $200B usd