Can fridge switch be placed next to a water heater switch?

I have two wall power sockets fixed side by side. One has been used for my water heater. Can I use the other for my fridge?  Will it overload the electric circuit?

https://winwayhomeservices.com.sg/wp-con...socket.png

something similar to this set up. If both devices turned on at the same time, will it overload the electric circuit of both devices since the wiring is shared?

Any electrical experts can advise?

Wont. Fridge wattage very low

Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes Gstalk's post

Water heater should have its standalone socket as it uses a lot of power.
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

Both are high wattage appliances, overloading can cause short circuit and start a fire
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post
Thumbs Up 

(05-09-2023, 09:43 PM)Gstalk Wrote:  Wont. Fridge wattage very low

My big ass fridge uses about 340kwh, beri worried the water heater might overload even though separate sockets. Thanks a gazillion for your input though.  Thumbs_up

Upz u 1 pt for  advice.

(05-09-2023, 09:46 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Both are high wattage appliances, overloading can cause short circuit and start a fire

Yes, but using different sockets. Lidat still ok or not? Worried abt the electrical wiring.

(05-09-2023, 09:50 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  Yes, but using different sockets. Lidat still ok or not? Worried abt the electrical wiring.

Different sockets no use because they might go to the same MCB. You have to ensure that they go to different MCBs.

Just make sure got good working circuit breakers you are good.

疫苗可以不打, 手枪一定要打!
疫苗可以不注射, 精子一定要远射!
[+] 1 user Likes ODA TETSURO's post

(05-09-2023, 09:54 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Different sockets no use because they might go to the same MCB. You have to ensure that they go to different MCBs.

How to check? they are sharing the same wiring though since the sockets are side be side. Chum, really cheem. Assuming go to same MCBs , lidat how?

There're 2 types of wattages, starting and running.

Mostly hv running wattages between 100 to 500, and starting wattages between 700 to 1300 or so.

So if yr fridge running wattage is 340, its starting wattage could be as high as 1000.
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

(05-09-2023, 10:06 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  How to check? they are sharing the same wiring though since the sockets are side be side. Chum, really cheem. Assuming go to same MCBs , lidat how?

Water heater has to have its dedicated MCB. You can locate your MCB for the water heater by switching off your MCBs one by one then see if both your water heater and fridge are turned off. If both are turned off with a single MCB then you'd know that they share the same one.

Each MCB has a certain current rating. If you go beyond that then it will trip. But before it trips the cable will become hot.

(05-09-2023, 10:11 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Water heater has to have its dedicated MCB. You can locate your MCB for the water heater by switching off your MCBs one by one then see if both your water heater and fridge are turned off. If both are turned off with a single MCB then you'd know that they share the same one.

Each MCB has a certain current rating. If you go beyond that then it will trip. But before it trips the cable will become hot.

Bingo. If all are borrowed from thy neighbour, it is a problem.
[+] 1 user Likes theold's post

(05-09-2023, 09:39 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  https://winwayhomeservices.com.sg/wp-con...socket.png

something similar to this set up. If both devices turned on at the same time, will it overload the electric circuit of both devices since the wiring is shared?

I see yr electrical wiring a bit weird. No electrician will use heater breaker to share with power point. 
They normally use a individual cct breaker for heater alone. So is the aircon. 
Who do the electrical wiring for u?!!

But no worry. The most it trip the individual cct breaker. It won’t cause fire lah.
[+] 1 user Likes victortan's post

(05-09-2023, 10:11 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Water heater has to have its dedicated MCB. You can locate your MCB for the water heater by switching off your MCBs one by one then see if both your water heater and fridge are turned off. If both are turned off with a single MCB then you'd know that they share the same one.

If the wiring shares the same MCB, does this mean I have to get an electrician to trunk separate wiring or can I use an extension socket plugged into a solo wall socket located elsewhere.

(05-09-2023, 10:26 PM)victortan Wrote:  I see yr electrical wiring a bit weird. No electrician will use heater breaker to share with another power point. 

Stupiak technicians installed the water heater many decades ago, dat time the other wall socket was used for tv, less wattage. Now I want to use for fridge. Faintz, need to install fridge soon.

(05-09-2023, 10:26 PM)victortan Wrote:  I see yr electrical wiring a bit weird. No electrician will use heater breaker to share with another power point. 

But no worry. The most it trip the individual cct breaker. It won’t cause fire lah.

I scared water heater go berserk and electrocute the user....  Bomb

Walau. I see 3 Lighting switch also. This is wrong wiring. Light. Heater. N now u want to add fridge.
I hope they are not using only one cct breaker.

The foto is a stock image from the internet but my set up is similar except without light switch.

(05-09-2023, 10:26 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  If the wiring shares the same MCB, does this mean I have to get an electrician to trunk separate wiring or can I use an extension socket plugged into a solo wall socket located elsewhere.

Cannot. You need to have a high current rating MCB for your water heater (also for your aircon), cannot anyhow use other socket unless you're sure the MCB rating of that socket is high.

Old regulations allowed to share .. most old HDB come with above designed.. but new regulations water heater must protected with 20A MCB c/w double pole switch can’t share with others wall sockets .. for some old HDB gov started to upgrading liao maybe you can wait see ..
[+] 1 user Likes cwc29's post

(05-09-2023, 10:58 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Cannot. You need to have a high current rating MCB for your water heater (also for your aircon), cannot anyhow use other socket unless you're sure the MCB rating of that socket is high.

all HDB wall sockets protected with 32A MCB wall sockets cables lay in Ring Circuits.. only some super old HDB wall sockets protect with 16A MCB
[+] 2 users Like cwc29's post

(05-09-2023, 11:07 PM)cwc29 Wrote:  Old regulations allowed to share .. most old HDB come with above designed.. but new regulations water heater must protected with 20A MCB c/w double pole switch can’t share with others wall sockets ..  for some old HDB gov started to upgrading liao maybe you can wait see ..

Ok, thanks for your expertise. Have to call licensed electrician liao as need to install fridge urgently . Really stressed out.

Original design from HDB for wall sockets = 32A MCB and cables lay in Ring circuit.. if TS engage none licensed electrician to rewire ..none licensed electrician will installed 20A MCB for wall sockets and sharing with water heater to save cost …

(05-09-2023, 11:21 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  Ok, thanks for your expertise. Have to call licensed electrician liao as need to install fridge urgently . Really stressed out.

Relax !! No issues de la household fridge the power consumption not so high normally less than 4A nia

(05-09-2023, 11:29 PM)cwc29 Wrote:  Original design from HDB for wall sockets = 32A MCB and cables lay in Ring circuit.. if TS engage none licensed electrician to rewire ..none licensed electrician will installed 20A MCB for wall sockets and sharing with water heater to save cost …

Bro, upz you 1 pt for being so zhun. I hired a 'licensed' economical Bangla one from Carousell. He changed my ancient power socket for new ones dat he provided. [The new 'safety mark' ones I initially got kept tripping everytime the fridge was plugged in so ended up using his]. Now my fridge so supercharged dat I kenna static shock everytime there's contact. After dis bad experience I now worry about my heater sharing the same wiring as the new fridge I'm planning to install. Thanks for your invaluable insight and tips.   Thumbsup Kiss

(06-09-2023, 03:24 AM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  Bro, upz you 1 pt for being so zhun. I hired a 'licensed' economical Bangla one from Carousell. He changed my ancient power socket for new ones dat he provided. [The new 'safety mark' ones I initially got kept tripping everytime the fridge was plugged in so ended up using his]. Now my fridge so supercharged dat I kenna static shock everytime there's contact. After dis bad experience I now worry about my heater sharing the same wiring as the new fridge I'm planning to install. Thanks for your invaluable insight and tips.   Thumbsup Kiss

Engage Carousel electricians si liao still don’t knew what happened 

Opasnie-1
[+] 1 user Likes cwc29's post

Tanks all the Bros who contributed to dis thread. I learnt alot more from youse all dan what's out there on the internet. FYI, I managed to plug in the fridge without tripping the circuit breaker. Fingers crossed iz all good from here on. Upz all the bros here 1 pt for invaluable advice. 
Kissed Kissed

ps, if a fridge uses 340kwh for 24 hrs @  230-240 volts, what is iz amps? The sticker inside my fridge sez >1 amp.. Wonder how dis was derived.

(05-09-2023, 09:29 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  I have two wall power sockets fixed side by side. One has been used for my water heater. Can I use the other for my fridge?  Will it overload the electric circuit?

(05-09-2023, 09:39 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  https://winwayhomeservices.com.sg/wp-con...socket.png

Better check with those professionals 1st lah! Big Grin Later whole house catch fire ah!

fridge dont use a lot of power
sometimes it will shut off inside if the temp is ok