Canadian hockey has a rape problem

Laurel McBride
3 Sep 2022

In July, former Vancouver Canucks ice hockey player Jake Virtanen was tried on a charge of sexual assault. The trial in Vancouver ended with the jury delivering a not guilty verdict. Though the jury did not provide reasons for their verdict, we do know that the defence lawyer representing Virtanen presented a litany of sexist stereotypes about women who report rape, their motivations for doing so and how they behave during and after sexual assault.

The complainant made clear and powerful statements. “I thought saying no, I don’t want to do this and physically pushing him off of me was enough,” she said. “What else did I have to say?”

The Virtanen case took place against the backdrop of an unfolding scandal involving Hockey Canada, the sport’s governing body in the country, and reports that Canadian male hockey players at an elite level were alleged to have perpetrated two acts of gang rape.

Earlier this year, a woman alleged that she was sexually assaulted by eight intoxicated players, including members of the national junior team after a London event organised by Hockey Canada in June 2018.

on July 22, details were revealed of an attack that took place in 2003 in Halifax during the World Juniors tournament involving Canadian players. The attack was filmed. According to news reports, a player spoke to the camera and told the viewers they were about to see “a f***ing lamb roast.” The video shows multiple male players taking turns raping a non-responsive woman laying face up on a pool table.

With cases spanning decades, it has become clear that the existing structures governing men’s hockey in Canada both protected perpetrators from meaningful accountability and failed to curb further sexual violence from occurring.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/...pe-problem