Car ownership even more attractive when prices soar

Conspicuous consumption boosts S'poreans' sense of identity and also conveys status and importance. In land-scarce S'pore, the less affluent have to make way for the wealthy; nowhere is this more clearly apparent than in car ownership.  Car owners are perceived as wealthier and having membership to a higher social status group - not just to others, but also to themselves. We are rapidly approaching the day when only top earners would be able to possess cars. This will, in fact, make car ownership even more attractive to those who can afford it owing to its "snob appeal".

While materialism defines success through the relentless accumulation of possessions, it's shallow, superficial and not long lasting.

BMW is de best, so convenient and cheap.

(26-02-2024, 10:04 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  While materialism defines success through the relentless accumulation of possessions, it's shallow, superficial and not long lasting.

The attachment with our belongings actually begins at childhood. Owning something as if it is a part of us begins early in life. Envy is felt once children discover that certain toys belonging to others appear more attractive and expensive than theirs. Through adolescence, people start to view personal possessions as reflecting how they would like to see themselves. Car ownership often becomes the ultimate symbol of the emerging identities of young adults who have embarked on their careers. Superficial as it may be, it is very real indeed in materialistic S'pore.

(26-02-2024, 10:27 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  BMW is de best, so convenient and cheap.

Bus, MRT and Walking is good for one's health, but I will keep my car and continue with my gym workouts after work.
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

My young neighbor changes his cars very often. From merz sports, bmw suv, to bently, Lamborghini, to ferrari, ... Nobody knows what biz he does

1. Why does one need to own cars?
2. Only when govt has failed to provide good public transport.

3. In Singapore our public transport is world class....and in Malaysia it is pathetic....

4. Hence Malaysia has highest car ownership in the world with 98% of families owning cars....and also high double car ownership.

5. High car ownership reflects failure of givt to provide public transport

6. Sure there are some people who use car as a show off mechanism when it's price goes up. That is not a problem for govt to solve but the poor character of people ... caused them to need to boast ego and showoff. ...they can show off by wearing Rolex etc ...

7. Singapore over time should cut the COE quota and aim for a car free society ...cars pollute and affects the smoothness of traffic for productive commercial activities.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(26-02-2024, 11:25 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  My young neighbor changes his cars very often. From merz sports, bmw suv, to bently, Lamborghini, to ferrari, ... Nobody knows what biz he does

There are 2 non-management staff in my company who drive luxury continental cars to work daily. 1 of them comes from a wealthy family while the other came into some inheritance. Not everyone works for the money, but to alleviate boredom and because they have a desire to remain in the workforce. 

(26-02-2024, 11:25 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  1. Why does one need to own cars?
2. Only when govt has failed to provide good public transport.
3. In Singapore our public transport  is world class and in Malaysia it is pathetic.

I live in a neighbourhood that is quite a distance from the main road and has no MRT station within close proximity. I choose to own a car for the freedom and convenience it gives me and my family. The Govt has provided an efficient public transport system - just not where I stay. 

(26-02-2024, 11:34 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I live in a neighbourhood that is quite a distance from the main road and has no MRT station within close proximity. I choose to own a car for the freedom and convenience it gives me and my family. The Govt has provided an efficient public transport system - just not where I stay. 

Plse write to the govt about your problem. 
Surely the govt has to meet the public transport needs if it is controlling the car population at the same time.

It cannot be that they make cars unaffordable and don't give you a good public transport option. That wouldn't be right.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(26-02-2024, 11:38 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Plse write to the govt about your problem. Surely the govt has to meet the public transport needs if it is controlling the car population at the same time. It cannot be that they make cars unaffordable and don't give you a good public transport option. That wouldn't be right.

In larger developed countries, it is relatively cheap to buy and maintain a car if one is living outside the big cities. It only gets expensive if car owners live in the urban areas mainly because of extremely high parking charges. However, in S'pore, the COE and taxes on petrol and road usage etc. affects every car owner, whether they live in the CBD, fringes of the city or some far flung heartland estate.