Chee Soon Juan's cafe will offer takeaway orders, won't lay off staff

https://mothership.sg/2021/07/chee-soon-...-takeaway/

Like every other restaurant in Singapore, Chee Soon Juan's newly-opened cafe Orange & Teal is affected by the recent roll back to Phase 2 (Heightened Alert).

With dining in banned until Aug. 18, food and beverage (F&B) outlet operators have to make some big adjustments with limited time.

In a Facebook post on July 22, the leader of the Singapore Democratic Party said that while the cafe will abide by the restrictions, it will pivot to offering takeaway orders.

Commenting on the restrictions, Chee said:

"After bouncing around, relaxing-then-tightening, opening-then-closing F&B outlets — all this within a month — the govt has now stopped dining-in for the next few weeks.

The decision-making process by these young ministers are lamentable. But that's a discussion for a future occasion.

For now, many outlets won't be able to take the withering measures. And it's not just owners. Employees, who also have bills to pay and mouths to feed, will be laid-off."

He confirmed that Orange & Teal will not be retrenching any of its staff .

Cafe will offer takeaway orders
Chee said: "We're open from today (11am to 8pm) for folks to come in and order lunch, dinner and everything in between for takeaway."

Beef brisket will also be served on Friday instead of Thursday (today) due to the restrictions, at least for this week. Chee added:

"So we're counting on you to help keep things going until we can open again in Aug. O&T was set up to have people dine in and experience the ambience. It's a blow now that you can't dine in.

But that's OK, we'll adapt and continue to grow even in the most challenging circumstances. Like the SDP, pah see buay zhao (get beaten, but won't leave)."

Chee also urged the public to support other F&B outlets as well during this tough period:

"Order in or buy takeaway. If we rally together in such trying times, we can help minimise pain for workers at F&B joints, especially the mom-and-pop stalls at hawker centres. Give them your support."

Customers interested in getting takeaway orders from Orange & Teal can make their way to #02-12 Rochester Mall located at 35 Rochester Drive.

I think he should not mix up being kind and compassionate  too much with running a business..

...the economics always will force your hand.

American politicians always like to blame corporations and
businesses from laying off. It's a waste of time and populist.

When running a business the No. 1.proority is to make...only when you make money than you can treat your workers well like Sheng Shiong. Of course that does not mean you should ill treat or exploit people. You make sure as a whole business does well ...make profit and is sustainable.

Don't run a business to :prove" your compassion. You can do this after your business succeeds like DFS ...even DFS retrenched when times turn bad.

Chee should run his business and make is a success. Treat workers fairly but do not be over generous when the business has not pulled in the money.

He should just run his business and not try to use it for political mileage.Sometikes I think he try too hard to show how good he is....like he is trying to set an example but he is not a seasoned businessman...his business haven't even succeeded...so prove your self first....

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

i say liao what......PAP try to ruin Ah Chee lah.......

after Ah Chee close shop.......immediately can dine-in without limit..........LOL

(22-07-2021, 03:19 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  i say liao what......PAP try to ruin Ah Chee lah.......

after Ah Chee close shop.......immediately can dine-in without limit..........LOL

Now that someone mentioned Chee, it does seem like the no dine-in rule is specially set up for him  Big Grin

if he's a gd businessman he wouldn't have opened his cafe at this time.

(22-07-2021, 04:23 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  if he's a gd businessman he wouldn't have opened his cafe at this time.

That's what I said in the old forum but many oppie supporters disagree and said his supporters will crowd his cafe.

Timing is one of the main consideration before starting a biz with or without supporters. He actually has a good idea and expertise from his wife, and if he can wait until pandemic is over success is probability is higher.

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(22-07-2021, 12:58 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I think he should not mix up being kind and compassionate  too much with running a business..

...the economics always will force your hand.

American politicians always like to blame corporations and
businesses from laying off. It's a waste of time and populist.

When running a business the No. 1.proority is to make...only when you make money than you can treat your workers well like Sheng Shiong. Of course that does not mean you should ill treat or exploit people. You make sure as a whole business does well ...make profit and is sustainable.

Don't run a business to :prove" your compassion. You can do this after your business succeeds like DFS ...even DFS retrenched when times turn bad.

Chee should run his business and make is a success. Treat workers fairly but do not be over generous when the business has not pulled in the money.

He should just run his business and not try to use it for political mileage.Sometikes I think he try too hard to show how good he is....like he is trying to set an example but he is not a seasoned businessman...his business haven't even succeeded...so prove your self first....

(22-07-2021, 04:15 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  
(22-07-2021, 03:19 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  i say liao what......PAP try to ruin Ah Chee lah.......

Now that someone mentioned Chee, it does seem like the no dine-in rule is specially set up for him  Big Grin

Oh dear Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin