Citizens cannot afford downpayment for resale flats and BTO flats wait for 7 years

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...on-3268751

Benny Koh is a software engineer in a tech company and he is hoping to buy a residential property and start a family soon. He said he has delayed his plans to marry because he is unable to afford a down payment for a Housing Board resale flat and the current Build-to-Order (BTO) flat wait time is too long for him. 

Prices have increased so much and that has been quite an issue for people my age, looking to get married, looking to get a house, but we cannot afford the down payment ... I just started working for one year, it's practically impossible to pay that down payment if we don't get any help from our parents."

For BTO, you have to wait about five to seven years to get your house. By the time I would be, 32 to 33. That doesn't seem like the right age to start a family.”

(12-02-2023, 06:56 PM)forum456 Wrote:  https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...on-3268751

Benny Koh is a software engineer in a tech company and he is hoping to buy a residential property and start a family soon. He said he has delayed his plans to marry because he is unable to afford a down payment for a Housing Board resale flat and the current Build-to-Order (BTO) flat wait time is too long for him. 

Prices have increased so much and that has been quite an issue for people my age, looking to get married, looking to get a house, but we cannot afford the down payment ... I just started working for one year, it's practically impossible to pay that down payment if we don't get any help from our parents."

For BTO, you have to wait about five to seven years to get your house. By the time I would be, 32 to 33. That doesn't seem like the right age to start a family.”

At the age of 32 or33 it is still feasible to get married and start a family, it is not too late.......... Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

It is getting from bad to worse

But naive 61% cannot differentiate LKY and LHL

really ZERO IQ

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 2 users Like Ola's post

His problems will be denied and he will be criticised by pro PAP supporters.

Basically Singaporeans should not highlight their problems ....as it js always their fault for not being smart enough or rich enough.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

This Govt is using FTs in HDB, MOE and MOM to nullify their own corrupted data for their own pleasure.

(12-02-2023, 08:24 PM)FartSunKing Wrote:  15% downpayment for a $300K resale HDB flat is $45K

This amount is less than the $50K family grant for buying a 3/4 rm resale HDB flat

Those who claimed they cannot afford the down payment for resale HDB flats are fcuking lamers

Your daughter has $45k  for downpayment for her BTO?

She works like her mother at night?

no wonder she can afford, lor

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(12-02-2023, 08:29 PM)Ola Wrote:  Your daughter has $45k  for downpayment for her BTO?

She works like her mother at night?

no wonder she can afford, lor

jialat i find this hilarious. i think im losing touch liao, edmw is really too filtered after all the policing.

He's a software engineer but can't afford downpayment for HDB resale? First-timer can get $50k grant towards downpayment. He is aiming for Pinnacle at Duxton? You really have call out someone's BS when you see it.

(12-02-2023, 08:06 PM)FartSunKing Wrote:  For young couples

Instead of whining over long waiting time for BTO HDB flats

There is a solution

Buy an old 3rm resale flat

In a mature estate like Commonwealth

And wait for SERS to upsize to a new 4rm BTO flat

The old 3rm resale flat at Commonwealth estate 

Cost around $300K now

That is the worst advice from an adult. You are asking young couples to gamble and losimg out in SERS with bad deals.

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

(12-02-2023, 08:43 PM)starbugs Wrote:  He's a software engineer but can't afford downpayment for HDB resale? First-timer can get $50k grant towards downpayment. He is aiming for Pinnacle at Duxton? You really have call out someone's BS when you see it.

For all you know he may be telling the truth.......... Big Grin

Look, which minister started the BTO idea? One needs to fork out $10 for each balloting , pay and pay until successful obtain a Q number.
What is the consequence now?
Release 500k BTO for application
VS speed up and complete 100k flat which focus is better?
5 years waiting time is too long, right?
Consider to allow construction site has longer operating hours if the site is far  away existing housing flats. Encourage use of latest technology
Invite more reliable foreign construction companies and construction workers.
Welcome better idea to solve housing problem.

Why after so many years, this is still a problem?

[Image: 86313973-72-A8-4832-9033-5-A171246568-F.jpg]

(12-02-2023, 08:58 PM)Oasis Wrote:  Look, which minister started the BTO idea? One needs to fork out $10 for each balloting , pay and pay until successful obtain a Q number.
What is the consequence now?
Release 500k BTO for application
VS speed up and complete 100k flat which focus is better?
5 years waiting time is too long, right?
Consider to allow construction site has longer operating hours if the site is far  away existing housing flats. Encourage use of latest technology
Invite more reliable foreign construction companies and construction workers.
Welcome better idea to solve housing problem.

YOur suggestion has it's merit..............but will the MIW listen to your comments.............? Big Grin

(12-02-2023, 07:24 PM)Ola Wrote:  It is getting from bad to worse

But naive 61% cannot differentiate LKY and LHL

really ZERO IQ
ya and its getting worse and worse...
older folks like PG and MG dont say la, maybe they live through pap times when they were better, and/or most no or low education, so follow blindly or lack understanding.. but these days, even fking 30s , 20s "i-am-so-fking-smart" peeps dont even have basic critial thinking... useless

(12-02-2023, 11:02 PM)Merdeka Wrote:  ya and its getting worse and worse...
older folks like PG and MG dont say la, maybe they live through pap times when they were better, and/or most no or low education, so follow blindly or lack understanding.. but these days, even fking 30s , 20s "i-am-so-fking-smart" peeps dont even have basic critial thinking... useless

We don't know the number of PG and MG who voted for PAP..............and thence we cannot generalize who are the ones who voted for them.  Perhaps those in their 20s and 30s did not vote for PAP.......................... Big Grin

the solution is to change to a new govt like WP or PSP.

they will build flats in advance and will not charge the land cost.

the problem is solved.