Commentary: The emotional impact of being retrenched

Commentary: The emotional impact of being retrenched https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commenta...es-4308381

Structural unemployment was never a problem till the last 15 years, with tens of thousands of older local PMEs losing their skills and employability. The long term consequence is the eventual weakening of our economy. To many of us, citizenship does not appear to come with its concomitant privileges when govt policies provide a foreign PME working here with a bright future at the expense of his local peers, who are not only struggling with the astronomical cost of living, but often find themselves out of work by their mid-40s.
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

Retrenchment is the preferred method for employers to make sharp short-term cost reductions to regain a competitive edge. However, forced layoffs may actually cause companies to suffer higher long-term organisational losses.

There are better strategies to control these costs more effectively, while increasing productivity and profitability. Redeployment of affected staff with the company’s subsidiaries or helping them find vacancies with other employers should be initiated by the human resource department. Companies can also implement across-the-board wage reductions, voluntary layoffs, a reduced work week or unpaid leave for employees who choose these options – until business picks up.

Retrenchment been around for 20 years, lah

What has PAP done for Retrenchment Payment Laws?

If nothing is stated in your contract, you must negotiate.

But many Companies will just terminate you instead to save cost.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

Some employers wanna avoid mom interview don't use the word retrenchment. They use the word termination of service due to company restructuring. How is this different except in the correct English jargon. Yes I was let go with this reason 5 years ago. Lucky found a job within 2 weeks so the 2 weeks per years service monies I take.

None of the PaP Ministers were ever retrenched. They only know but will never understand.

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

(06-05-2024, 06:26 PM)Ola Wrote:  Retrenchment been around for 20 years, lah. What has PAP done for Retrenchment Payment Laws? If nothing is stated in your contract, you must negotiate. But many Companies will just terminate you instead to save cost.

Lay offs have been practiced for as far back as I can remember - not just 20 years ago. LOL!  The point that I made is that it has accelerated over the past 15 years with the influx of foreign PME labour from India and other countries. Why is our govt absorbing all these unemployed white collar workers instead of protecting S'poreans who have paid our dues ( including serving NS)? 

(06-05-2024, 07:45 PM)Symmetry Wrote:  None of the PaP Ministers were ever retrenched. They only know but will never understand.

The Pappies do not experience living in overcrowded homes or public transport like the masses who live in pigeon hole HDB flats and squeeze like sardines into buses and trains.

[Image: Crowded-Train.jpg]

People end up committing suicide, others have long- term depression while some resulted in mental issues. One hand the Govt wants to have more retrenchment 20 or 30 years which still lingers in our mind but they never planned to reduce the impact. From Lau- Goat till now, the society has suffered.

In before...
[Image: quote-retrenchment-is-good-for-singapore...-36-53.jpg]

疫苗可以不打, 手枪一定要打!
疫苗可以不注射, 精子一定要远射!
[+] 1 user Likes ODA TETSURO's post

He reminds me of Hitler with his chants that War is Good.