Are you not ashamed that after years of bilingual education but cannot speak chinese?

https://www.bannedsite.com/forum/chillin...her-tongue

Many sinkies actually take pride in not being able to speak Chinese. Even if they can, they'll pretend that they can't because they think that they'll be perceived as higher class. Years of being indoctrinated that the Angmohs are the best.

After LKY is gone it seems like the govt is no longer pushing hard for the young to know their mother tongue.

A bilingual or trilingual family environment may exert a greater influence in a child developing competency in linguistic skills... afterall speaking more languages have its social n intellectual benefits

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin

And I took Chinese as 2nd language no problem speaking and normal conversation but not good enough to talk politics and economics.

It's not that I have deliberately neglect Chinese language and I am quite tired of people making certain types of accusations. The truths is this:

1. Ability to learn multiple languages is not a universal ability.

2. In Singapore we have many who are good only in one language Chinese or English.

3. Many of my tuition students good at Chinese struggle with English and are good at all other subjects.

4. In my view emphasis on "bilingualism" is a mistake because it mismatches the ability of citizens with our national desire/goals.

5. The enforcement of bilingualism within education system limit progress of Singaporeans' development..for example those who were not good at either English or Chinese were not allowed into university.

6. People in China only have to speak Chinese to do wel. People in UK only need to speak English to progress.

7. While it is good to learn 2 languages, it shouldn't be enforced in a manner that stifle the development of our people.

8. Bilingualism end up as creating yet another hurdle for our citizens.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(02-01-2022, 02:28 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Many sinkies actually take pride in not being able to speak Chinese. Even if they can, they'll pretend that they can't because they think that they'll be perceived as higher class. Years of being indoctrinated that the Angmohs are the best.

After LKY is gone it seems like the govt is no longer pushing hard for the young to know their mother tongue.

Your view is only true in a minority of cases. There is a lot at stake to be good at both languages like scholarships and university entrance. Many are genuinely good at only one language and struggle to learn the 2nd language. This is.scientific fact today but politicians still base policy on unscientific principles because LKY laid it out 4 decades ago.

Just like some people have ability to sing ...you cannot insist everyone have this ability. 

And worse still if you insist people.have to sing well to get a job as a technician, you are mismatching. This is what has gone on our education system.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

Is her meow meow smelly?

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Any idea which minister cannot speak Mandarin?

(02-01-2022, 06:36 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  And I took Chinese as 2nd language no problem speaking and normal conversation but not good enough to talk politics and economics.

either you skipped classes often, or the teachers used the times to teach other subjects instead? the system didn't seem to work well at that time

and you knew it's a prerequisite for uni and yet didnt work hard?

Your mother tongue is actually your dialect. I am very sure that many young people has lost their ability to speak in their own dialect.

tomorrow will be a better day

eyes so far apart like a lizard… vomit

(02-01-2022, 09:38 AM)surfer Wrote:  Your mother tongue is actually your dialect. I am very sure that many young people has lost their ability to speak in their own dialect.

You are right to assume that our mother tongue is our dialect.  But in Singapore context, the mother tongue is actually Mandarin, as conceived by the late LKY.  He had  envisaged that we as Chinese needs to improve our capacity in Mandarin, cos he foresee that China will be the next big thing,  A big Chinese market to tap on..... Clapping

Only I can say I take pride in Chinese and English. I will do my best to write more mandarin. As my mandarin standard is damn good… Rotfl

你们懂不懂苏轼其实也是个大近视眼。
除了吟诗作对,他也喜欢酿酒。

明月几时有?把酒问青天。不知天上宫阙,今夕是何年。我欲乘风归去,又恐琼楼玉宇,高处不胜寒。起舞弄清影,何似在人间。
转朱阁,低绮户,照无眠。不应有恨,何事长向别时圆?人有悲欢离合,月有阴晴圆缺,此事古难全。但愿人长久,千里共婵娟。

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

We learn a lot from singing chinese songs, watching chinese movies and CCTV news. 
It's up to individuals to upgrade themselves. 
The system is there. Learning is up to your own effort. 
You can lead the horse to the water, but you can't make him drink.
[+] 2 users Like Migrant's post

(02-01-2022, 08:06 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  either you skipped classes often, or the teachers used the times to teach other subjects instead? the system didn't seem to work well at that time

and you knew it's a prerequisite for uni and yet didnt work hard?

First of all I did not fail. I did okay. I did not go to university due to other reasons. But I saw may others struggling to learn 2 languages.

I find many people reply to postings without reading and here you wrongly  assume I am talking about myself for university entrance and made negative statements about me skipping classes.

Many people are born to learn one language only and for them to pick up another language is a struggle...many not only take the school classes they have to take tuition.

Those with language talent should think about others who are not talented with languages. As not have same talent.

By putting weight on bilingualism  ...it sets another hurdle for Singaporeans. People of other countries like Australia just need one language to do well.

(02-01-2022, 10:50 AM)Migrant Wrote:  We learn a lot from singing chinese songs, watching chinese movies and CCTV news. 
It's up to individuals to upgrade themselves. 
The system is there. Learning is up to your own effort. 
You can lead the horse to the water, but you can't make him drink.

that's true. if one detests, despises or looks down upon something, one won't want to be associated with it.

(02-01-2022, 10:57 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  First of all I did not fail. I did okay. I did not go to university due to other reasons. But I saw may others struggling to learn 2 languages.

I find many people reply to postings without reading and here you wrongly  assume I am talking about myself for university entrance and made negative statements about me skipping classes.

Many people are born to learn one language only and for them to pick up another language is a struggle...many not only take the school classes they have to take tuition.

Those with language talent should think about others who are not talented with languages. As not have same talent.

By putting weight on bilingualism  ...it sets another hurdle for Singaporeans. People of other countries like Australia just need one language to do well.

dont let some middle manager at some mid size company who thinks he is successful,say you are a failure…

Yes for those who cannot master two languages should be ashamed,
as many of our regional countries can do that and more, their Job security at risk once youth age is over.

Also Sg cannot be a major hub if cannot speak at least 2 languages.

Besides just knowing your roots, learning Chinese and able to speak it well has great commercial benefits. One more language learnt is one more advantage over others.

Our advantages over other countries are already eroding, and people who think that we made it because we are smarter ought to check their brains. We need to keep it up with our language skills.

(02-01-2022, 01:12 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Besides just knowing your roots, learning Chinese and able to speak it well has great commercial benefits. One more language learnt is one more advantage over others.

Our advantages over other countries are already eroding, and people who think that we made it because we are smarter ought to check their brains. We need to keep it up with our language skills.
In my era, sitting for exams for the subject Chinese is optional, and thence many just opt to take English as the examination at O and A levels.... Thinking

SG is a disgrace tactically..

even Malaysia their civil servants Malays knows how to speak Mandrain

even Western folks , now a days quite a lot knows how to speak in Mandrain some even knows how to write beside read.

Partly due to business related, due to China influence.

yalor. even syonan has to master 2 languages, otherwise how to translate, interpret and pimp?

(02-01-2022, 01:23 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  SG is a disgrace tactically..

even Malaysia their civil servants Malays knows how to speak Mandrain

even Western folks , now a days quite a lot knows how to speak in Mandrain some even knows how to write beside read.

Partly due to business related, due to China influence.

There are pockets of Malays and western folks that could speak Mandarin, but to read and write will be another realm/level.... crying