Disposable e-cigarettes cannot be trashed nor recycled. So what happens to them?

BY MATTHEW PERRONE
Updated 5:12 AM GMT+8, October 20, 2023

WASHINGTON (AP) — With the growing popularity of disposable e-cigarettes, communities across the U.S. are confronting a new vaping problem: how to safely get rid of millions of small, battery-powered devices that are considered hazardous waste.

the recent shift toward e-cigarettes that can’t be refilled has created a new environmental dilemma. The devices, which contain nicotine, lithium and other metals, cannot be reused or recycled. Under federal environmental law, they also aren’t supposed to go in the trash.

U.S. teens and adults are buying roughly 12 million disposable vapes per month.

In late August, sanitation workers in Monroe County, New York, packed more than 5,500 brightly colored e-cigarettes into 55-gallon steel drums for transport. Their destination? A giant, industrial waste incinerator in northern Arkansas, where they would be melted down.

Sending 350 pounds of vapes across the country to be burned into ash may not sound environmentally friendly. But local officials say it’s the only way to keep the nicotine-filled devices out of sewers, waterways and landfills, where their lithium batteries can catch fire.

“These are very insidious devices,” said Michael Garland, who directs the county’s environmental services. “They’re a fire risk and they’re certainly an environmental contaminant if not managed properly.”

the industry has skirted responsibility for the environmental impact of its products, while federal regulators have failed to force changes that could make vaping components easier to recycle or less wasteful.

Much more at: https://apnews.com/article/vaping-ecigar...9f524df02a

Smartphones with batteries easy to recycle but this one not?

疫苗可以不打, 手枪一定要打!
疫苗可以不注射, 精子一定要远射!

(20-10-2023, 09:58 AM)ODA TETSURO Wrote:  Smartphones with batteries easy to recycle but this one not?

Because the batteries cannot be taken out easily for the disposable e-cigarettes unlike the non-disposable ones like Juul. So besides the battery, a host of other poisons are there and the disposal becomes more complex.

Why can't it be banned? Factories are allowed to produce them! Why don't just close the production lines?

Before: At your service; After: Serves you right!

This is a real problem that affects me, too, since I vape. Disposable vapes are super convenient, but how much waste they create is worrying. They're packed with nicotine, lithium batteries, and metals that aren't easily recycled or thrown away safely. It's shocking to see sanitation workers collecting thousands of them to burn because it's the only way to stop them from polluting landfills and catching fire.
     Manufacturers should be pushed to make products less harmful to the environment. Rechargeable vapes are better, but we also need programs where shops collect used vapes for proper disposal or recycling. Vape makers could help fund these programs, too.
     I get my vapes from places like https://relxths.com, so I'd love to see better disposal solutions become the norm. What ideas do you have for making vaping more environmentally friendly?