How the U.S. gun violence death rate compares with the rest of the world

OCTOBER 31, 2023 2:08 PM ET
Nurith Aizenman

The U.S. has the 28th-highest rate of deaths from gun violence in the world: 4.31 deaths per 100,000 people in 2021. That was more than seven times as high as the rate in Canada, which had 0.57 deaths per 100,000 people — and about 340 times higher than in the United Kingdom, which had 0.013 deaths per 100,000.

In the District of Columbia, the rate is 13.93 per 100,000 — the highest in the United States.

The 2021 figures paint a fairly rosy picture for much of the world, with deaths due to gun violence rare even in many lower-middle income, and even low-income countries — such as Bangladesh and Burundi, which saw 0.06 deaths and 0.14 deaths, respectively, per 100,000 people.

Prosperous Asian countries such as Singapore (0.003), Japan (0.005) and South Korea (0.01) boast the absolute lowest rates — along with China, at 0.013.

"It is a little surprising that a country like ours should have this level of gun violence," Ali Mokdad, a professor of global health and epidemiology at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, told NPR. "If you compare us to other well-off countries, we really stand out."

there are quite a few countries where gun violence is a substantially larger problem than in the United States — particularly in Central America and the Caribbean.

drug trafficking may also be a factor in two Asian countries that have unusually high rates of violent gun deaths for their region, the Philippines and Thailand.

With the casualties due to armed conflicts factored out, even in conflict-ridden regions such as the Middle East, the U.S. rate is worse.

The U.S. gun violence death rate is also higher than in nearly all countries in sub-Saharan Africa, including many that are among the world's poorest.

Best to check out the charts at: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod...-the-world
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

"Prosperous Asian countries such as Singapore (0.003), Japan (0.005) and South Korea (0.01) boast the absolute lowest rates — along with China, at 0.013."

Peace and freedom brought to you by confucianism. be appreciative

(21-02-2024, 01:34 PM)Levin Wrote:  The U.S. has the 28th-highest rate of deaths from gun violence in the world: 4.31 deaths per 100,000 people in 2021. That was more than seven times as high as the rate in Canada, which had 0.57 deaths per 100,000 people — and about 340 times higher than in the United Kingdom, which had 0.013 deaths per 100,000.

Proponents of gun ownership in the U.S. will claim that "guns do not kill people; people kill people".

More Americans have to die before they understand that allowing guns is dangerous.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(21-02-2024, 02:20 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  "Prosperous Asian countries such as Singapore (0.003), Japan (0.005) and South Korea (0.01) boast the absolute lowest rates — along with China, at 0.013."

Peace and freedom brought to you by confucianism. be appreciative

Maybe.  I thought about it and I think it has something to do with culture. Maybe Confucianism is part of it.

Confucianism says that if the ruler lacks ren 仁, it will be difficult for his subjects to behave humanely. Ren is the basis of Confucian political theory; the ruler is exhorted to refrain from acting inhumanely towards his subjects. An inhumane ruler runs the risk of losing the Mandate of Heaven or, in other words, the right to rule. A ruler lacking such a mandate need not be obeyed, but a ruler who reigns humanely and takes care of the people will be entrusted by Heaven and trust by the people therefore follows, for the benevolence of his dominion shows that he has been mandated (ming 命) by heaven. Confucius himself had little to say on the active will of the people, though he believed the ruler should definitely pay attention to the needs of the people and take good care of them to minimize wants

(23-02-2024, 12:36 PM)Levin Wrote:  Maybe.  I thought about it and I think it has something to do with culture. Maybe Confucianism is part of it.

There is a school of thought that there are more conflicts in hot countries in the Middle East and Africa. 

The problem is, they are not only killing themselves, but selling arms to almost the whole free world to kill other people.