【“新加坡地名印记”第一篇】新加坡冷知识:这九个地区原来都以动植物命名

【“新加坡地名印记”第一篇】新加坡冷知识:这九个地区原来都以动植物命名 
https://www.redants.sg/visuals/story2022...e=telegram                                                                                                                                                                                            

红蚂蚁Telegram新闻推送 : t.me/redantssg
[+] 1 user Likes Bigiron's post

Quite a few places with names using animals and plants.

Like my relatives' area (Macpherson estate) My uncle told me that the words Pipit, Merpati and Balam are Malay words for different types of birds. I checked them out later and found that Merpati and Pipit are indeed birds. Could never find the meaning for Balam though.
[+] 2 users Like Levin's post

east coast area got rambutan, chiku, duku, pulasan, mangis, langsak, ...

(23-07-2022, 01:28 PM)Levin Wrote:  Quite a few places with names using animals and plants.

Like my relatives' area (Macpherson estate) My uncle told me that the words Pipit, Merpati and Balam are Malay words for different types of birds. I checked them out later and found that Merpati and Pipit are indeed birds. Could never find the meaning for Balam though.

Buffalo Road at Tekka Market in Little India was full of buffaloes last time lah!
[+] 1 user Likes cheekopekman's post