ERP merely shifts the congestion elsewhere

The implementation of ERP on certain roads merely shifts vehicles to non-priced roads, thereby having little effect on overall congestion. This hardly solves our nation’s road congestion problems. Do you agree?

This problem already long time happen, some drivers avoid ERP so go another roads but provided you don't mind waste petrol , end of the day I see drivers also just use the ERP but EPIC still jam. ERP is to make drivers enjoy a smooth ride thus this is why they pay for it but end of the day also jam.

Govt just happy collect money hehe

(21-02-2024, 11:00 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  This problem already long time happen, some drivers avoid ERP so go another roads but provided you don't mind waste petrol , end of the day I see drivers also just use the ERP but EPIC still jam. ERP is to make drivers enjoy a smooth ride thus this is why they pay for it but end of the day also jam.
Govt just happy collect money hehe

The desired impact is highly case specific though, and relies on several factors such as the price of the toll to the affected road user, the availability of alternative routes and modes of public transport as well as on the preferences of drivers.

Most drivers dun care and pay erp. Only a few kiam siap ones would detour to save a few dollars. If each day $10, only $200 per month.

best use technology.. use GPS.. those who use more pay more.

If there is no ERP the congestion some roads will naturally cause drivers to use other roads. But popular roads that are quick routes to destinations will be congested as everyone wants to use them.

ERP is to keep the fastest routes fast ...by discouraging drivers from using these routes.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

from the start one suspect it is just another way to milk the road .

(21-02-2024, 11:22 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Most drivers dun care and pay erp. Only a few kiam siap ones would detour to save a few dollars. If each day $10, only $200 per month.

I agree that most drivers are resigned to the fact that once we own a car, it will be a drain on our finances. To most drivers, ERP stands for "Every Road Pay".

(22-02-2024, 03:28 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  If there is no ERP the congestion some roads will naturally cause drivers to use other roads. But popular roads that are quick routes to destinations will be congested as everyone wants to use them. ERP is to keep the fastest routes fast ...by discouraging drivers from using these routes.

The question that the LTA should ask is where do these road users go during peak hours to get to work? Most vehicle owners will consider themselves worse off when paying more for something without any perceived value-add such as lighter traffic and arriving at their destination faster.

(22-02-2024, 05:50 AM)sclim Wrote:  from the start one suspect it is just another way to milk the road .

ERP is considered an effective mechanism in diverting traffic away from a congested stretch of road and regulating the growth in private transport, which contributes to a shift to more sustainable modes of public transport or bicycles. In reality, the implementation of ERP on certain roads merely shifts vehicles to non-priced roads, thereby having little effect on overall congestion. This hardly solves our nation’s road congestion problems.

(22-02-2024, 01:36 AM)victortan Wrote:  best use technology.. use GPS.. those who use more pay more.

Given the constant demand for driving, a price hike on road usage in a particular area may initially lead to reduced congestion. However, when drivers discover that alternative routes are in a gridlock, the likelihood of them shifting back to the previous route is far greater than switching to public transport, which is not as efficient as it once was, before our population grew exponentially.