Ex NMP Laurence Lien chooses not to live an extravagant lifestyle

Former NMP Laurence Lien chooses not to live an extravagant lifestyle - The Online Citizen Asia
[+] 4 users Like Obamao's post

This Lien has an excellent character. He should run for president.
[+] 4 users Like Blasterlord2's post

(07-07-2023, 01:29 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  This Lien has an excellent character. He should run for president.

not all rich and elite interested in status.

“Hence for me, not living an extravagant lifestyle is an entirely self-interested choice. Not just for my own happiness but more importantly, for my children’s.”

On the other hand, Mr Shanmugam said in Parliament that “My empathy did not increasingly decrease as my houses got larger, or as I made more money.”

(07-07-2023, 05:53 PM)Obamao Wrote:  “Hence for me, not living an extravagant lifestyle is an entirely self-interested choice. Not just for my own happiness but more importantly, for my children’s.”

On the other hand, Mr Shanmugam said in Parliament that “My empathy did not increasingly decrease as my houses got larger, or as I made more money.”

[Image: photo-2023-07-07-12-47-30.jpg]

https://www.eco-business.com/about/profile/3897/

https://catholicnews.sg/2014/07/09/getti...blic-face/

Getting to know the man behind the public face
He is a man who wears many hats – chief executive of the National Volunteer and Philanthropy Centre, director of Caritas, Nominated MP, governor of Lien Foundation, husband and father of three. But what diners at Crossings Café, who attended a talk by him recently, were really hoping to get to know was Laurence Lien […]

By Catholic News SG
Published On: July 9th, 2014
1.7 min read
Catholic NMP Laurence Lien talks about his faith, life and work at Crossings Café on June 19. Beside him is moderator Winifred Loh.
He is a man who wears many hats – chief executive of the National Volunteer and Philanthropy Centre, director of Caritas, Nominated MP, governor of Lien Foundation, husband and father of three.

But what diners at Crossings Café, who attended a talk by him recently, were really hoping to get to know was Laurence Lien the person – specifically the Catholic behind the public face.

Prompted by moderator Winifred Loh, Mr Lien shared about his life with some 60 diners at the Crossings Centre café located at Waterloo St on June 19, as part of CANA’s Talk of the Town series.

He spoke about his early years, and of the people who were pivotal in shaping him. One was a friend from his parish who mentored him and challenged him to tap on his gifts to the fullest; another was a tutor, the wife of a Christian pastor who taught him beyond books and who also introduced him to his patron saint, St Lawrence.

Mr Lien, 43, shared that as he is familiar with Ignatian spirituality, discernment plays a big part in his life and guides him when making major decisions.

To a question from the audience on what it means to be a Catholic in the public sphere, Mr Lien replied that as an NMP he is conscious that he is representing not himself but a broad group of people. Being an NMP, he felt is a good starting point, a place to make a difference without being tied to a party, leaving him free to follow his own conscience.

Advertisement

Questions he constantly poses to himself when faced with an issue are: What do I care about? What does the Church care about? What do the people care about?

Mr Lien also spoke passionately about the “Singaporeans Against Poverty” campaign, a project launched last year by Caritas and its partners. It aims to raise awareness of poverty in Singapore despite the nation’s economic growth.

Mr Lien said he had witnessed an overwhelming response to calls for aid and seen many private groups at work within the community.

He added that he is optimistic about the next generation, that they would take steps to provide help.

Mr Lien encouraged his audience to discover their own passions in life that would allow them to contribute to positive change in society. He also asked them to pray with him as he discerns the next step in his life.

By Carolyn Seow

I am sure cultured and educated high integrity men with good upbringing and character like Mr Lien would pay market rate for state BnW GCBs in ridout road ( $4 per sq feet or 1.2M pm for the palace ) if he really wanted to rent. Rather than exploit our collective reserves for financial advantage like some greedy "stewards of our state resources."
You really can't buy class, culture and integrity.
some animals are really more "xia suay" than others! Rotfl
[+] 1 user Likes Truebluesg's post

https://www.singhealth.com.sg/sites/shco...n-main.png

Wow, Exudes a humble, benign benevolence despite his high SES

(07-07-2023, 12:16 PM)Obamao Wrote:  Former NMP Laurence Lien chooses not to live an extravagant lifestyle - The Online Citizen Asia

Upz you one pt for sharing the existence of 1 true humanitarian.
[+] 1 user Likes luncheonmeat's post

But rich peoples everyday eat restaurant and with chauffeur, they still say they simple life, up to one to say and brag

Peoples always say they work late everyday, but they wfh, morning blast 50 emails then dissapear sleep eat sleep, evening blast out emails again 9 pm... Can?

There are peopkes said they are clean and smell nice, then say other dirty and smelly, to divert attention
After toilet never wash hand, pick up used tissue paper from dustbin to wipe own mouth because run out of tissue,
Have this type of people?
Have

(07-07-2023, 01:29 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  This Lien has an excellent character. He should run for president.

I definitely concur!

(07-07-2023, 06:10 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  Upz you one pt for sharing the existence of 1 true humanitarian.

A true gentleman, Mr Lien while the other one has been exposed as a real hypocrite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_VyNglbusA

Too bad.. He not qualify.. Even Merlion or Sanila Utama, if still alive, is not qualify to run for EP..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

So no one will spy on him.

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

(09-07-2023, 02:51 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  So no one will spy on him.

Even a simple one sentence no substance post you also need to edit??