Exclusive-US bill would block defense contractors from using Chinese rare earths

14 Jan 2022 09:29PM
(Updated: 15 Jan 2022 02:29AM)

A bipartisan piece of legislation introduced in the U.S. Senate on Friday would force defense contractors to stop buying rare earths from China by 2026

It essentially uses the Pentagon's purchase of billions of dollars worth of fighter jets, missiles and other weapons as leverage to require contractors to stop relying on China and, by extension, support the revival of U.S. rare earths production.

The United States has only one rare earths mine and has no capability to process rare earth minerals.

the bill would codify and make permanent the Pentagon's ongoing stockpiling of the materials.

To build that reserve, though, the Pentagon buys supply in part from China

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/business...hs-2436461

2026?

China should stop selling to them now!  Rotfl

(15-01-2022, 12:32 PM)cityhantam Wrote:  2026?

Yes, why wait till 2026. Should stop selling right now immediately!

I don't understand. 
Now everything is made in china. 
If you cut china out, everything going to be expensive.
Esp rare earth. 
China can do without US 
But its going to cost US a lot without China.

(15-01-2022, 03:28 PM)Migrant Wrote:  I don't understand. 
Now everything is made in china. 
If you cut china out, everything going to be expensive.
Esp rare earth. 
China can do without US 
But its going to cost US a lot without China.

For rare earths, USA is trying to restart their own mining and processing in USA so that they are not dependent on China. Will be expensive due to much higher costs but they are willing to do so.

(15-01-2022, 12:32 PM)cityhantam Wrote:  2026?

(15-01-2022, 03:06 PM)moneyspinner Wrote:  Yes, why wait till 2026. Should stop selling right now immediately!

(15-01-2022, 03:34 PM)Levin Wrote:  For rare earths, USA is trying to restart their own mining and processing in USA so that they are not dependent on China. Will be expensive due to much higher costs but they are willing to do so.

Yes, China should stop selling rare earth immediately, since US looks at China like an enemy.....