Fed’s rate hikes threaten its goal of narrowing racial gaps

By CHRISTOPHER RUGABER
yesterday

WASHINGTON (AP) — America’s hiring boom of the past year has narrowed racial disparities in unemployment. Yet the Federal Reserve’s ongoing interest rate hikes — shaping up to be the steepest in 15 years — threaten to reverse that progress.

The Fed’s rate hikes will mean higher borrowing rates that could hobble the job market and undercut a goal the Fed unveiled two years ago: To keep rates ultra-low for as long as possible, to help less advantaged workers, who often don’t benefit much from job growth until late in an economic expansion.

Now, though, facing the worst inflation in four decades, the Fed has begun tightening credit and is expected to keep raising its benchmark short-term rate multiple times this year and next. Such rapid hikes typically slow borrowing and spending and can raise unemployment and even cause a recession. During such downturns, Black and Hispanic Americans commonly suffer higher jobless rates.

The Fed’s shift away from low rates comes as the African American unemployment rate has reached 6.6%, down sharply from its pandemic high of nearly 17%

https://apnews.com/article/business-race...8f90f6a8b2

Any Fed chairman doing rate hike will be 历史罪人.. 
He is the scapegoat… Rotfl
Rate hike means game is over…
Let see how long this last rally last.

He can go back to be lawyer again if he loses his current job.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

I never know narrow racial gap is Fed goal.

(01-04-2022, 09:07 PM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  I never know narrow racial gap is Fed goal.

I never knew too until now. Seems like it's a recent development in 2020.

Closed already still can DEAD undead?
[Image: Screenshot-from-2022-04-02-08-02-20.png]
[Image: Screenshot-from-2022-04-02-08-04-11.png]

[Image: Screenshot-from-2022-04-02-08-05-51.png]

(02-04-2022, 07:56 AM)Levin Wrote:  I never knew too until now. Seems like it's a recent development in 2020.

Must be new President decree.

(02-04-2022, 08:47 AM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  Must be new President decree.

Doesn't seem so. More like within FED based on the articles.

I personally don't think it should be doing this unless it is due to government direction.