First Taiwan Arms Sale in Biden Administration Is Approved!

The Biden administration has approved its first arms sale to the island democracy of Taiwan, a potential $750 million deal, amid rising tensions with China.

It calls for selling Taiwan 40 new M109 self-propelled howitzers and almost 1,700 kits to convert projectiles into more precise GPS-guided munitions, according to a State Department notification to Congress on Wednesday.

The proposed sale must go through a congressional review process and then through negotiations between Taiwan and contractor BAE Systems Plc, which is also providing the U.S. Army with the latest version of the howitzer, before a contract is signed and delivery times are hashed out.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry denounced the sale and said Thursday that Beijing would take countermeasures “based on the development of the situation.” China imposed unspecified sanctions on the defense unit of Boeing Co., Lockheed Martin Corp., and Raytheon Technologies Corp. last year after the U.S. approved weapons sales to Taiwan from the companies.

Taiwan’s presidential office expressed thanks to the U.S., saying the weapons would give Taiwan more confidence to ensure peace. “Taiwan will continue to deepen cooperation with the U.S. and other like-minded countries,” said spokesman Chang Tun-han in an online statement. The Taiwanese Defense Ministry said it expected the sale to take effect after one month.

More at https://tinyurl.com/ycjvvpkv

It is wise for Taiwan to be prepared to defend itself given unfriendly stance by a big neighbor.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

buy howitzers for FARK........they should just buy an entire fleet of the Iowa class battlewagons from WW2.........

their thick armour will be impervious to anti-ship missiles........then use their superior speed to close on the Chinese fleet.......and use those 16-inch guns to blast the Chinese navy to smithereens.......

Now we know why US so supportive of Taiwan.
Sales of weapons to them at very high price.
Yet, Tsai so happy, so thankful.
[+] 1 user Likes Migrant's post

(06-08-2021, 05:35 PM)Migrant Wrote:  Now we know why US so supportive of Taiwan.
Sales of weapons to them at very high price.
Yet, Tsai so happy, so thankful.

I think the big money is the sale of fighter planes, like the F16 and F35.... Big Grin

(06-08-2021, 05:40 PM)debono Wrote:  I think the big money is the sale of fighter planes, like the F16 and F35.... Big Grin

F16 is outdated.
F35 is too high fuel consumption.

US always sold outdated military toys to Taiwan.

Great! This means China confirms will not buy US Junk bonds.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(06-08-2021, 04:18 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  buy howitzers for FARK........they should just buy an entire fleet of the Iowa class battlewagons from WW2.........

their thick armour will be impervious to anti-ship missiles........then use their superior speed to close on the Chinese fleet.......and use those 16-inch guns to blast the Chinese navy to smithereens.......

those still in service meh? Thinking Thinking Thinking Thinking

CCP cockroaches are going to to start crying again…damn noisy