Forum: Help unemployed workers in their prime find jobs more quickly

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/for...re-quickly

I am concerned about the rise in the citizen unemployment rate from 3.7 per cent to 3.9 per cent in July.

With the news of 700 workers being retrenched from Panasonic, half of these being Singaporeans, I am worried that the citizen unemployment rate will not recover soon.

It was reported that about 60 per cent of staff who were laid off are aged 50 or older, and another 30 per cent are between 30 and 50 years old.

With many Singaporeans getting married later in life and also living longer, retrenched workers aged between 30 and 60 belong to the "sandwich class" and are in their prime working age.

Efforts are being made to help these workers with job placements.

My concern is that the longer these affected workers are unemployed, the harder it would be for them to return to the workforce.

I know of companies using this pandemic to streamline their companies' operations. Staff are retrenched and fewer people are deployed, with each employee having a wider job scope.

Working from home sometimes increases their workload as their employers may not respect non-working hours.

Overworked workers have no choice but to quit for a saner lifestyle. I know of five highly educated persons who are either retired or gave up their job search when they are still in their prime. Their job search extended from months to years, and some eventually joined the food delivery service.

These workers have many more years to offer and are too young to retire.

This is an unhealthy situation which we must avoid.

Instead of lamenting the lack of talent, employers should seek to change their mindsets about hiring older workers.

Employees would swear allegiance to a company which respects and values its workers. Rather than treat employees as part of the cost of production, companies should value them as partners in creating a mutually beneficial relationship.

Foo Sing Kheng

i was retrenched last Dec.
and holy cow, it is physically and mentally stress out.

last year already very bad , but i bet this year those retrenched might be even more trouble than last year.

As I said many times . . . .

PAP wants the fit & healthy mid- level professionals to be jobless so that they can be cleaners when they are 70 and 80 years old.

See this trend in the past 10 years? Even Jac Lau himself has proven this.

This is what they mean when they have your back?!@

[Image: CCS-Govt-will-have-your-back.png]

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

many low lever entry jobs up for grabs.
few mid to high level entry jobs up for...erhmmmm....C people.

JoTeo is totally a Failure. 5 years in MOM, and this cannot be fixed?

Does she want to wait for us 40 years later then give back our profession at $20k per mth??

She thinks it is possible? How stupid can she be to think that Employers can remove 10 of the 25 job criteria with 30 or 40 years job gap??

[Image: JT-job-matching-requires-more-flexibility-Oct-2019.png]

MOM SAYS MORE JOB VACANIES THSN THOSE LOOKING FOR JOBS,WHICH PART IS UNTRUE OR TRUE

Mai kia. Can work as SDA. Chobor lan job and still get paid Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(28-09-2021, 05:08 PM)talky Wrote:  MOM SAYS MORE JOB VACANIES THSN THOSE LOOKING FOR JOBS,WHICH PART IS UNTRUE OR TRUE

You believe?

(28-09-2021, 05:08 PM)talky Wrote:  MOM SAYS MORE JOB VACANIES THSN THOSE LOOKING FOR JOBS,WHICH PART IS UNTRUE OR TRUE

The stupidity of JoTeo and Tan SL, lah.

They freely issue Employment Pass to FTs so that we compliment them in our workforce! 

While we have to attend training courses to fit the unwanted jobs in the market to please them.

But attend training courses may not have any job! 

JoTeo owes us apologies.

"SAY SORRY!"