Forum: Skills and experience are hard to measure

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/for...to-measure

There have been calls over the years by the Government to hire people based on experience rather than just qualifications (New hiring scheme to focus on skills, not qualifications, Aug 15).

We can carry on discussing, promoting and encouraging such a change in hiring practices.

But I feel that this is at best academic and hollow in practice in many cases.

Skills and experience are intangible and difficult to measure. Education and qualifications are measurable tangibles.

It is easy to see how educated or qualified a candidate is through his credentials and certifications, but not how skilful he is.

I have 40 years of customer service experience but hold an O-level certificate.

Recently, I attended a group discussion held by a company to take on a job post, with the chief executive present.

Among the candidates selected to attend the group discussion, I was the least educated but the most experienced, and, I dare say, the most skilled in customer service.

The other candidates were offered the post, while I was told that I would need to acquire a diploma first.

It seems like it is all talk but no action on the ground.

Goh Khang Khai

ALL technical jobs must have Recognised Qualifications from Topo 500 Universities in the World. That is the basis so that Fake FTs can be hired and trained for 5 years.

Getting Middle-Mmgt FTs is a Joke because these are what citizens can do. Unless they are  EXPATS, then I have nothing to say because they oversee their business subsidiary.

Like this CECA, no experience can be CFO in SG. JoTeo is mad!

[Image: Wavecell-CFO-Deepraj-B.png]

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

He's right that experience is difficult to measure but is there a big difference between someone with 5 years of customer service experience and 40 years of that?

If PAP is sincere, then those with UNRecognised Qualifications from Top 500 Universities in the World should be just issued S-pass.

No need to set levies nor quota because S-pass has levies and quota already.

So difficult to re- issue? When MOM only take 1 week to print the green card without checking for past 10 years.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers?