S'poreans obsessed with BTO some start as young as 15yo
Information 

PLANNING FOR A FLAT AT AGE 15

PhD student Abigail Leon, 22, has been preparing for a Build-To-Order (BTO) flat since she was 15.

In Secondary 3, she subscribed to an e-mail service which would give her alerts every time a new BTO flat launch was announced.

"I like to calculate these kind of things, like to find out how much it would cost, how much we'd need to save and how much we'd need to save by what age," she says with a laugh.

Planning ahead for the future has been something that her father, a 51-year-old professor, had encouraged her to do since she was young, she adds. She is studying underwater acoustics communication at the Singapore University of Technology and Design.

Last year, she and her fiance Lee Kern Choong, 25, a programmer analyst, applied for a flat in Bedok. They had been engaged for two weeks.

Their three-room Housing Board flat, which costs slightly more than $300,000, is due to be completed in 2020.

They estimate their wedding date to be around the time that the flat is ready.

They both say the long engagement period is a boon.

"Isn't it nice when you can do it slowly, instead of having to do everything in one year at one shot?" says Ms Leon.

Mr Lee says: "It adds an element of certainty so you can plan better for a certain outcome."

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/e...bto-bullet?

She looks older than her 22 years. Must be all the worrying about BTO Laughing

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

We are creating many young people whose goal is BTO. They get married so they can have BTO. They find a job to pay for BTO.

Doesn't sound very interesting a life to lead.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(24-08-2021, 07:00 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  She looks older than her 22 years.  Must be all the worrying about BTO Laughing

all the char bors in that article look like they are in their 30s at least  crying
[+] 1 user Likes pervertosan's post

(24-08-2021, 07:34 AM)pervertosan Wrote:  all the char bors in that article look like they are in their 30s at least  crying

Laughing Laughing

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(24-08-2021, 07:34 AM)pervertosan Wrote:  all the char bors in that article look like they are in their 30s at least  crying

If everyday think of BTO....you will also age fast.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(24-08-2021, 07:00 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  She looks older than her 22 years.  Must be all the worrying about BTO Laughing
The lady in the pic is someone else.  23 yrs? Looks smelly old also.

(24-08-2021, 07:28 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  We are creating many young people whose goal is BTO. They get married so they can have BTO. They find a job to pay for BTO.

It's a terribly boring life to focus on bto. They can do much better by focussing on their real passion.

(24-08-2021, 07:28 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  We are creating many young people whose goal is BTO. They get married so they can have BTO. They find a job to pay for BTO.

aiya, not everyone can stay with parents forever