Gardening: Why some pots hv holes, some don't?

Which type of pots are good for aloe vela and pandang leaves?

(11-07-2022, 11:06 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  Which type of pots are good for aloe vela and pandang leaves?

Big and heavy pots. Not plastic ones as it may topple down when the plant grows big

Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes Gstalk's post

right, must be big heavy as the plants can grow quite tall.

must hv drainage holes, else their roots will rot and die fast.

the mediums aso very important. aloe love sandy mediums for good drainage, a bit of burnt soil for water retention, and the rest can be garden soil, compost, potting mix and etc

pandan loves water. can grow in pond, fish tank, or just a plastic bag of water. for potting, use garden soil plus lots of compost. good drainage aso very important for pandan
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink?'s post

(11-07-2022, 11:48 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  right, must be big heavy as the plants can grow quite tall.

must hv drainage holes, else their riots will rot and die fast.

the mediums aso very important. aloe love sandy mediums for good drainage, a bit of burnt soil for water retention, and the rest can be garden soil, compost, potting mix and etc

pandan loves water. can grow in pond, fish tank, or just a plastic bag of water. for potting, use garden soil plus lots of compost. good drainage aso very important for pandan

So there is no use for pots without holes, so why i see some pots withóut holes?

If i use a pot without holes for pandang, can it grow?

(11-07-2022, 12:23 PM)Sentinel Wrote:  So there is no use for pots without holes, so why i see some pots withóut holes?

for indoor plants, some prefer pots without drainage holes. in that case, you have to control the amount of watering, so that the medium is just moist but not wet. if wet, bad bacteria will grow and the roots will rot

for pot without hole for pandan, can add just clean water. but hv to check for mozzie breeding. can add liquid ferterlizers, or fermented organic ferterlizers so the water won't turn rancid

(11-07-2022, 12:37 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  for indoor plants, some prefer pots without drainage holes. in that case, you have to control the amount of watering, so that the medium is just moist but not wet. if wet, bad bacteria will grow and the roots will rot

for pot without hole for pandan, can add just clean water. but hv to check for mozzie breeding. can add liquid ferterlizers, or fermented organic ferterlizers so the water won't turn rancid

Liquid fertilizers can prevent water turning rancid? How?

(11-07-2022, 12:23 PM)Sentinel Wrote:  So there is no use for pots without holes, so why i see some pots withóut holes?

Pandan is one plant that can survive with excessive water and seems never to have root rot, so I suspect that it can grow in a pot without holes. Never try that though. It's my opinion that it's better that pots have holes.
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

(11-07-2022, 12:48 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Pandan is one plant that can survive with excessive water and seems never to have root rot, so I suspect that it can grow in a pot without holes. Never try that though. It's my opinion that it's better that pots have holes.

but the key point is the water must be clean, contains oxygen for the roots to breathe.

(11-07-2022, 12:42 PM)Sentinel Wrote:  Liquid fertilizers can prevent water turning rancid? How?

[Image: Screenshot-20220711-130854-Chrome.jpg]

like this seaweed extract, or those used for hydroponics, aquaponics or aquarium plant tanks

How come u so stupid ?
Without holes in pot there is no need a plate to store water which breeds mozzies

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️