Gilbert Goh to be charged over illegal protest, refusing to sign police statement

SINGAPORE — Activist Goh Keow Wah, better known as Gilbert Goh, will be charged in court on Wednesday (Dec 15) over allegedly taking part in a public assembly without a permit and refusing to sign a police statement.

In a media statement on Tuesday, the police said that on May 1 this year, Mr Goh, 60, allegedly staged a protest near the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) building.

He held up a placard which read: “Please ban all flights from India we are not racist! Just being cautious". It was written in capital letters.

Organising or taking part in a public assembly requires a police permit in Singapore but Mr Goh did not have one.

Mr Goh's alleged protest took place shortly after the Government barred some visitors from India from entering Singapore in response to a surge in Covid-19 cases in the country.

During the course of the police investigation into his alleged protest, Mr Goh had also allegedly refused to sign his statement to the police.

In the media statement, the police said Mr Goh had also allowed a foreigner without the required permit to participate in an event that he organised at Speakers’ Corner on Nov 3, 2019.

A police permit is required if foreigners are involved in organising or participating in an event at Speakers’ Corner.

On Tuesday, Mr Goh had received a "stern warning" over the 2019 incident, which also included failing to sign a police statement, the police said.

If convicted of taking part in a public assembly without a permit, Mr Goh could be fined up to S$3,000.

Those convicted of refusing to sign a police statement can be jailed for up to three months, fined up to S$2,500 or both.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ac...nt-1770566

Many feel he' spoke their minds with the sign.
Had the govt listen we would not have the delta variant spike and lives will not be lost.

Thanks for the effort Gilbert.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 2 users Like sgbuffett's post

(14-12-2021, 10:18 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Many feel he' spoke their minds with the sign.
Had the govt listen we would not have the delta variant spike and lives will not be lost.

He is just asking the govt. to be more careful, to ban flights  from India, so that the population here are not infected with the Delta virus.... Clapping
[+] 2 users Like debono's post

I never knew it is illegal to refuse to sign a statement to police.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

If just stand there, consider protest or not?

Later than edit any photo with caption 

Like this, no need limkopi

He should have signed off as BS.

if he write PAP IS THE BEST how?
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

Nowadays all these charging in court and fine are no longer effective punishment because of online donations. PAP must invent other forms of punishment to curb free speech.......... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(15-12-2021, 03:26 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  Nowadays all these charging in court and fine are no longer effective punishment because of online donations. PAP must invent other forms of punishment to curb free speech.......... Rolleyes

Need to potong the kkj as a deterrent Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(14-12-2021, 10:35 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I never knew it is illegal to refuse to sign a statement to police.

Don’t think it is. But the IO will kena hell from his superior Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(14-12-2021, 10:35 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I never knew it is illegal to refuse to sign a statement to police.

And now you know.

(14-12-2021, 10:18 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Many feel he' spoke their minds with the sign.

There was once an MP who walk around the TP hawker centre and shops bringing along a sign and even took photograph of him during the pandemic. How c.m nothing happened to him? Sweep under the carpet?

Laughing