Govt adviser: HK shouldn't open up until vaccination hits 80%

Published: 15:57, September 17, 2021 | Updated: 16:31, September 17, 2021

The city is still far from that vaccination milestone, with just 58 percent of residents having been vaccinated with an initial dose, according to Bloomberg’s Vaccine Tracker. That lags rival financial hubs, with Singapore at 82 percent.

Hong Kong has reported just two unlinked local cases in the past three months. Neither led to further transmission, making it one of the most COVID-free places in the world.

Hui said that it remains to be seen if abandoning the zero-tolerance approach is feasible even when inoculation is widespread.

Even Singapore is now “under pressure” though its vaccination rate is over 80 percent and the rate is high among elderly, said Hui. Singapore is now seeing daily infections approach the four-figure mark as it slowly reopens.

“So, this direction may be a bold experiment like gambling for now,” said Hui.

https://www.chinadailyhk.com/article/238976

It's a matter of time HK will follow Singapore. It cannot be that they see the whole world opening up while they continue to be closed. Their economy cannot take it.

(05-10-2021, 09:52 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  It's a matter of time HK will follow Singapore. It cannot be that they see the whole world opening up while they continue to be closed. Their economy cannot take it.
If Hong Kong opens up and low infection thereafter. It's a big slap on the face for Pfizer and Moderna...

(05-10-2021, 09:52 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  It's a matter of time HK will follow Singapore. It cannot be that they see the whole world opening up while they continue to be closed. Their economy cannot take it.

i dont think hkg can decide when to open up without getting ok from BJ…they are a gateway to mainland and mainland will call the shots on this issue

(05-10-2021, 10:58 AM)Sticw Wrote:  If Hong Kong opens up and low infection thereafter. It's a big slap on the face for Pfizer and Moderna...

Is it possible that there'll be low number of infections after opening up? I just can't envisage this, because opening up means more interactions between people. I don't think the Chinese vaccination has proven itself to prevent infection (prevent deaths yes).

(05-10-2021, 01:24 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Is it possible that there'll be low number of infections after opening up? I just can't envisage this, because opening up means more interactions between people. I don't think the Chinese vaccination has proven itself to prevent infection (prevent deaths yes).

Open sure up, but if much lower rate than sg then maybe people question real effect of vaccine? Beyond my payscale lah. We just chatting here... Lol

Never learn from SG?

疫苗可以不打, 手枪一定要打!
疫苗可以不注射, 精子一定要远射!