Most people lose money in stock market

Because they fail to cut loss. True?

Not really true depend what stocks.

(08-07-2022, 06:13 AM)Cmpunk Wrote:  Not really true depend what stocks.

From what I see, this is rule no. 1. After I am able to do that, overall I always win money.

(08-07-2022, 06:21 AM)dynamite Wrote:  From what I see, this is rule no. 1. After I am able to do that, overall I always win money.

But be frank I always win little but loss big when come to stocks. My mind keep telling me  holding for long term but when that happened the little win become bid loss.

I saw very often in You Tube one Chinese guy supposedly a guru said people lose money because they buy low, sell high. Dunno true or not..... Confused

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

The concept of "cut loss" is for trading and those using leverage.

For stock investing it is useless if one is buying good stocks for long term. Be ut Microsoft, Amazon, Tesla....they always have 10-30% drawdown each year so you will always be knocked out if you use a cut loss.

For non professional investors, the best strategy is to buy regularly a diversified  ETF or unit trust using dollar cost averaging strategy.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(08-07-2022, 07:02 AM)Cmpunk Wrote:  But be frank I always win little but loss big when come to stocks. My mind keep telling me  holding for long term but when that happened the little win become bid loss.
Stock is all about psychology. You must win your own mind.Also, understand the mind of those greedy people in charge. This you will reverse your usual pattern.
[+] 1 user Likes dynamite's post

Yes by the way Mr Butt I thought you saying US market going into bear market why suddenly people start posting recovery?

(08-07-2022, 07:22 AM)dynamite Wrote:  Stock is all about psychology. You must win your own mind.Also, understand the mind of those greedy people in charge. This you will reverse your usual pattern.

Yes this was happened during dotcom crisis.

(08-07-2022, 07:34 AM)Cmpunk Wrote:  Yes by the way Mr Butt I thought you saying US market going into bear market why suddenly people start posting recovery?

U cannot blame him because nobody will know

(08-07-2022, 07:34 AM)Cmpunk Wrote:  Yes by the way Mr Butt I thought you saying US market going into bear market why suddenly people start posting recovery?
Not I say recession. All experts say have recession.

You mean now recession over because market go up 2 days?

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(08-07-2022, 06:06 AM)dynamite Wrote:  Because they fail to cut loss. True?

Not true as you still dont know how the game is played.

You must pay tuition $$$ first before you know how the game is played. Right now I seldom lose $$$ in stock. Rotfl
要输都难!
I Ching also help me alot in stock trading.
Once you know the rules, trading is very boring.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(08-07-2022, 08:06 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Not true as you still dont know how the game is played.

You must pay tuition $$$ first before you know how the game is played. Right now I seldom lose $$$ in stock. Rotfl
要输都难!
I Ching also help me alot in stock trading.
Once you know the rules, trading is very boring.

Iching is rubbish. U need to understand how mind works

I tallied all the stocks that I bought 10 years ago and it is still earning money with dividends counted in. Unless you are trader, if doing investment, won't be losing. Needs to choose good ones though.

The logic is just like driving a car
At first, if you are newie, you must go to driving centre to learn driving.
But many ppl never do that, so lose $$$ as they still never get a license yet in stock trading/investing. They dont even know what is charting,financial report and how to read news.

Once you get the licence, it doesnt mean you can always make $$$ in stock as there are still some siao lang or siao gias who always drive very fast or drive very slow or anyhow drive and hit your car. So you need to use I Ching wisdom to tackle this issue. You also need to upgrade your car capability with more sensors or more cameras etc to reduce your risk in losing alot of $$$ when you meet an accident or best is to avoid an accident if you have done your due diligrnce.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(08-07-2022, 08:15 AM)dynamite Wrote:  Iching is rubbish. U need to understand how mind works

Go and learn I Ching.  Big Grin It is not rubbish.
I Ching teaches you how the nature work.

You dont even know how the nature work, you think you know how the stock market work?

Look around you. When you run, likely you have owned a Nike, if you own a computer likely you have used Microsoft or Adobe,  everyday you use Google and many use Apple phones.

These are stocks that have gone up 20-50 times. It looks simple and anyone who bought moderate amounts of the stocks would be richer by now. 10-20yrs ago we already know these companies and products.

You just need to buy them and hold through not look at them every day. But if you ask many old investors none...there are but rarely anyone got rich...why?

Because they like to "play" the market buy and sell for 5%-20% for quick gains. One day sudden unexpected move come they lose big and swear off stocks...especially in Singapore there is a toxic thing called contra.

Learn from experience of others especially those who failed.
If you are an old investor and not rich something is wrong because we just had the longest biggest bull market in history of man kind.

I talk to many people about stocks and watch their way of "investing" and habits.

One of the bad habits is to try to make money everyday in the market through trading. Short term in and out. We know this is probably not a good way to use your money because of randomness in markets.

Among successful stock investors the average holding period for a stock is 12yrs. Buffett hold some stocks for 30yrs or longer.

Why not learn from the most successful?

If you want to succeed in  an area. Learn from the most successful in the area.

Buffett already said for ordinary investors just put aside money regularly in S&P500. If you did that when you start work and are retiring today this simple strategy would have 10x your money. No need to over complicate your life....it would have worked well.

(08-07-2022, 07:11 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  I saw very often in You Tube one Chinese guy supposedly a guru said people lose money because they buy low, sell high. Dunno true or not..... Confused
What logic? Buy low sell high lose money!? Then he what!? Sell low buy high!

Unless one loves gambling the best bet is buy blue chips with high dividend yield. 

Look at the historical high and low of the stock then time yourself to buy in at the right price. I did that for Chinese Banks H shares traded on HKEX.  The yield is at least 7.7% annually.
[+] 2 users Like sporeguy's post

(08-07-2022, 06:06 AM)dynamite Wrote:  Because they fail to cut loss. True?

On the contrary, GIC and Temasek made a lot of money on its way down and made much more on its way up

Either way they made $$$

(08-07-2022, 08:29 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Go and learn I Ching.  Big Grin It is not rubbish.
I Ching teaches you how the nature work.

You dont even know how the nature work, you think you know how the stock market work?

I use taodejing, it is higher than iching. As I say iching is rubbish in comparison.

(08-07-2022, 08:25 AM)FartSunKing Wrote:  During the AFC I cut loss on 400,000 shares of Freight Links I bought with my CPF

Average purchase price around 30 cts, cut at 18 cts

Good cut because that lj Freight Links crashed below 5 cts after I cut loss

Once there is bleeding, the bleeding need to be stopped.