Hard Living in Singapore : A Speech by Jamus Lim

https://www.wp.sg/hard-living-in-singapo...n-poverty/

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

I don't know why life is so difficult nowadays? 
When I was a teen, had to walk a mile to take a bus to school. 
Always packed. Many times hanging at the door steps. 
Then working for survival. Took part time job a during weekends. 
Most meals were nasi lemak. 30 cents. 
To think of it, life is so much more comfortable these days.

(06-08-2023, 09:14 AM)Migrant Wrote:  I don't know why life is so difficult nowadays? 
When I was a teen, had to walk a mile to take a bus to school. 
Always packed. Many times hanging at the door steps. 
Then working for survival. Took part time job a during weekends. 
Most meals were nasi lemak. 30 cents. 
To think of it, life is so much more comfortable these days.

there are still people like you today.
but many times, need to wait 2 or 3 buses before boarding due to overcrowding of foreigners/PRs.
but many times, need to take up 2 or 3 part time jobs to survive due to no fulltime jobs because of overcrowding of foreigners/PRs in job market.
most meals are nasi lemak at $2.
To think of it, life is so much more affordable in old days.
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

Sometimes when I drove around in some estates admiring at the luxurious houses, wonder how these fuggers made so much money and there're so many of them.

(06-08-2023, 10:33 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Sometimes when I drove around in some estates admiring at the luxurious houses, wonder how these fuggers made so much money and there're so many of them.
crying

(06-08-2023, 05:09 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  https://www.wp.sg/hard-living-in-singapo...n-poverty/

the problem with WP speeches is that it is like an essay.
they did not mention any specific real life problem to solve.
he just said there is no poverty line and money not enough for poor.

he needs to quote many real examples and ask PAP on how to solve.
he need to quote many real examples on why PAP policy cannot work.
PAP has to solve them because these problems belong to PAP govt.
but WP never bring these problems to PAP to solve.
in the end, many years have passed, these problems remain unsolved.

(06-08-2023, 10:33 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Sometimes when I drove around in some estates admiring at the luxurious houses, wonder how these fuggers made so much money and there're so many of them.

There are ways to make money even in Indonesia you have gated communities of the wealthy among poverty.

The initial wealth is often made by exploiting the poor cheap labor for manufacturing ...

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Agree with Jamus. Better define a poverty line.  It just use 25% of median.

Excerpt he said "honorable friend Leon" Laughing

(06-08-2023, 10:57 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  Agree with Jamus. Better define a poverty line.  It just use 25% of median.

Excerpt he said "honorable friend Leon" Laughing
Based on EU and OECD definition of poverty Singapore poverty level is 25-29%.

Unless the PAP wants to recognise this and do something about it ot will just get worse as insufficient measures for poverty alleviation is in place.

The sight elderly poor doing menial jobs and collecting cardboard is a stark reminder.

The PAP uses certain tricks like anti vagrancy laws to remove homeless quickly out of sight to govt shelters it merely improve the optics but the real problem is getting worse.

Of course hard living 
Money is being used to control people

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

i like MP Lee Bee Wah's way of helping voters.

first, she would represent the voters and talked directly to the ministry to solve problem.
when the ministry could not help her, she would bring the case to parliament.
PM or the minister would order the ministry to help her.
over the years, the problems of her voters are solved.

WP always read out different essays over the years on the same problem.
the same problem remains unsolved for many years.

(06-08-2023, 05:09 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  https://www.wp.sg/hard-living-in-singapo...n-poverty/

one simple way to solve poverty is to guarantee full time job for citizens who wants to work.
if you have a fulltime job, how to be poor ?
you cannot be poor because your pay will be above the poverty line if there is one.

why PAP cannot solve poverty or set poverty line?
because PAP cannot guarantee full time job for citizens who wants to work because PAP needs to reserve jobs for foreigners/PRs.

90% of foreigners/PRs come to Singapore for jobs.
if PAP guarantees full time job for citizens who wants to work, there will be not enough jobs for foreigners/PRs.

(06-08-2023, 11:29 AM)forum456 Wrote:  one simple way to solve poverty is to guarantee full time job for citizens who wants to work.
if you have a fulltime job, how to be poor ?
you cannot be poor because your pay will be above the poverty line if there is one.

why PAP cannot solve poverty or set poverty line?
because PAP cannot guarantee full time job for citizens who wants to work because PAP needs to reserve jobs for foreigners/PRs.

90% of foreigners/PRs come to Singapore for jobs.
if PAP guarantees full time job for citizens who wants to work, there will be not enough jobs for foreigners/PRs.

for example, there are about 100K citizens working as food delivery workers and grab drivers.
most of them cannot find fulltime jobs, turn to food delivery and grab driving.

if PAP provides 100K fulltime jobs to them, 100K of foreigners/PRs will be out of jobs.
population will drop by 100K if PR/foreigners leave singapore.

(06-08-2023, 10:40 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  There are ways to make money even in Indonesia you have gated communities of the wealthy among poverty.

The initial wealth is often made by exploiting the poor cheap labor for manufacturing ...

More could be doctors who charge patients for unnecessary tests, prescriptions, ops etc. And lawyers, beauticians, car mechanics,... who overcharge their clients... or plp contractors...

Normal decent jobs almost impossible to make so much money

(06-08-2023, 12:41 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  More could be doctors who charge patients for unnecessary tests, prescriptions, ops etc. And lawyers, beauticians, car mechanics,... who overcharge their clients... or plp contractors...

Normal decent jobs almost impossible to make so much money

how to become rich is a not a concern of the MPs in parliament.

how to help the poor or unemployed is a responsibility of the MPs in parliament.

At best a B grade for that article.

Sounds like rubbish to me or may be too cheem for me to digest. Also dun see how defining a poverty line will solve the poverty. I think simply set up a Poverty Task Force like the Pandemic Task Force to solve and remove poverties from Singapore is most effective if PAP wants to end poverty here.   Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

Nowadays it is very difficult to survive in Sg without a well paying job. If dont have a well paying job, then have to hv 2 jobs.

Laughing

Life is getting worse since 3G . . ..

1) Which Govt in the World will allow FREE Flow of Unemployment Pass

2) Allow us to be freely displaced for Non- Tech jobs that we can do

3) And mislead us about Skills Future that cannot give us skills??

*Till date, How many Non- Citizens have been Deported??

[Image: Gan-KY-skills-future-provide-more-opportunites.png]

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

Which Govt in the World will raise GST to burden our daily living?

And the excuse they have is it will create more problems

BUT never once told us why the other 3 alternatives cannot work

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/del...r-AA1eLtqw

Which Govt in the World will allow decades of CECA

with Free Flow of Natural Person?

Worse, blame people for their mistakes??

*Anyway, silly Minister barking at the wrong tree

[Image: CCS-CECA-Falsehood.png]