How China destroyed the Australian wine industry

How China destroyed the Australian wine industry 
#Econgram_Oceania

Facts:
1) In 2020, Australia called for an investigation of the origin of Covid-19. China claimed that Canberra attempted to blame Beijing. Consequently, China imposed punitive trade measures.

2) One of them was a tariff* on Australian wine sold in quantities of less than two litres. That tariff could get to as high as 218%. As a result, from December 2020 to December 2021, wine exports to China dropped by 97%.

3) China has been the biggest importer of Australian wine, buying 40% of exports. Now, it is the 23rd largest.  

Analysis:
1) Around 95% of the Australian wine that Beijing was buying was red. Hence, the farmers expanded the acreage* of red grapes. Analysts estimate that roughly 50% of Riverland’s* red grapes will not be sold in 2023. 

2) Over 500 Riverland growers sell grapes to Accolade Wines. This company offered to pay farmers for switching from red grapes to white. Besides, since replanting is very costly, it suggested paying growers for putting vines into a dormant state and refraining from producing this year. However, the farmers claim that these measures would not cover the costs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/16/busin...ralia.html
[+] 1 user Likes Bigiron's post

Poor 41 Chinese wine owners in Australia,  hurt not only by CCP.  also by Australians.

https://www.abcdiamond.com.au/how-many-a...y-chinese/

[+] 1 user Likes teaserteam's post

(19-03-2023, 08:34 AM)teaserteam Wrote:  Poor 41 Chinese wine owners in Australia,  hurt not only by CCP.  also by Australians.

https://www.abcdiamond.com.au/how-many-a...y-chinese/

U suck angmo coks now then know PRC are freaking rich? Rotfl
[+] 1 user Likes Notdumb's post

There are about 2200 wineries and 6000 grapegrowers employing 170000 in Australia. A small number like that is very insignificant

You think the Tiongs know how to drink wine?

As in, not just pour and guzzle by the bottle?

Tiongs know SHIT about wine. They buy so much Australian wine in the past mainly because it's the closest they can import wine from, and also because owning wine bottles in cellars and drinking wine is seen as a status symbol "atas" flex by them.

Money can buy wine or anything. But it can't buy class or taste.

(19-03-2023, 09:36 AM)Basic_Strategy Wrote:  You think the Tiongs know how to drink wine?

Tiongs know SHIT about wine. They buy so much Australian wine in the past mainly because it's the closest they can import wine from, and also because owning wine bottles in cellars and drinking wine is seen as a status symbol "atas" flex by them.

Yalor you look sibey atas buy 24/7 por Ang mo Lampar got time pls help building more toilets for your villagers ba

(19-03-2023, 09:49 AM)cwc29 Wrote:  Yalor you look sibey atas buy 24/7 por Ang mo Lampar got time pls help building more toilets for your villagers ba

You betray your own racism and small mindedness by assuming everyone you don't like online must be from India or some backwards country with no proper sanitary system. 

I think the one who needs a toilet is you, because your thoughts and words are utter shit that need flushing.

Yalo. Ahtiongs shd learn from singkees, drink kopi o can already

It's apparent that this wouldn't be an easy or cost-effective transition for the farmers.
On a slightly different note, with the surplus of red wine grapes, I wonder if there's room for individuals to get involved in winemaking on a smaller scale. There are various homebrew shop options for those interested in crafting their own wine. It could be a novel way for people to explore winemaking while potentially providing a small outlet for some of these red grapes, although it certainly won't solve the larger issue.

LOL!

2 years after the new PM in office, the Aussie media finally admits no country can replace the Chinese market... Nothing wrong being honest with your self after your biggest Customer decided to bring business to somewhere else...

Big Grin

You've got friendly neighbours? Grow Up! 李光耀 2013
[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

And in the final months of 2023, we suddenly see Aussie PM as Chief-Sales-Officer puddling Australian products from red wine to lobtus at a major Shanghai trade convention 

The good news is this time. those "White Trash" no longer sell Opium to China...Big Grin

[Image: 704ff59f1b55cd4949c9d9602a82858d7db14921] 

[Image: 34725fc4-977a-4223-8599-6d9cba5ffa29_f56...1699186403]

[Image: AP20332285213171.jpg]

You've got friendly neighbours? Grow Up! 李光耀 2013
[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

the person who really cause the harm to the australia wine industry is the previous pm who also made himself minister for many ministry without annoucing it publicly.
any industry should always review the target customers. not to have anyone become too big.
the incident might have force australia wine industry to look beyond china. that is a good thing. diversify to reduce risk of single location/incident risk.

(19-03-2023, 09:36 AM)Basic_Strategy Wrote:  You think the Tiongs know how to drink wine?

Tiongs dun know how to drink, but they can make their own miaotai wines.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

When Chinese was drinking wine your ancestors ancestors were slurping sai water off the ground

Aiya ahtiongs not so lucky dun hv colonial master to teach them many hi class things, so even with 5000 yrs of civilizations they're still very low ses.