I deployed a mesh router to expand WiFi coverage....here's how to do it cheaply'

As my flat is small I won't need this. However, I was sharing my WiFi with 2 other families with school kidd who need it.

The first set of mesh router I bought was very bad. It was a pain to set up and did not perform well. It cost me couple of hundred $ product was call Lyra by Aseus. Gave me a bad impression of mesh routing products.

After that I bough 2 cheap repeaters 
, they are okay but they half the throughput when they 'repeat" this lowers the performance. It also mean I can share with only 2 other families ...I knew around 4 in my level that needed WiFi and they had to pay month if they cannot be reached.

2 weeks ago I started to look at how to solve this.

I came across this product called Nokia Beacon 1 which was been sold off by many people cheaply as it was given out free by Starhub when you sign up for their broadband. Many already have a router so they didn't need this. One piece is sold as low as $30 and you can keep adding beacon to extend coverage. I got one of the nejghbors kid to help me pick up 4 pieces.

It comes with a very friendly mobile app to detect signal strength at each placement location and to add a beacon is  by scanning a QR code at the bottom of each beacon. Proces takes less than 5 minutes.

Highly recommend this to those who have WiFi coverage issues.

Was able to share my WiFi with 6 other families on the same floor after set up.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

Retail is $85. Due to it being a free gift given by starhub people are selling for $30-$50.

If you have a big home or a layout with coverage problems this product can solve it.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I sold my beacon for 80, bot a hw ax3 for 56, + free delivery, - voucher 6, made a net profit of 30.

performance very gd. just put a cd behind as reflector, all floors can receive

(21-11-2021, 12:19 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  I sold my beacon for 80, bot a hw ax3 for 56, + free delivery, - voucher 6, made a net profit of 30.

performance very gd. just put a cd behind as reflector, all floors can receive

You are lucky to sell for 80...now flooded with people selling. Anyway your solution Is excellent if every part of house can be reached from one point.

[Image: 20211111-094430.jpg]

not only cheap fast good, aso very nice design right?

(21-11-2021, 12:22 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  [Image: 20211111-094430.jpg]

How you get for $56....I saw this at $100+.

Sure it is quite good.  However it is a one point solution if cannot reach an area from that point you cant do anything except deploy extenders and repeaters.

The advantage of a mesh is each point can be shifted until you get coverage around corners etc. Suppose to reach another flat 4 units away the router has to go through 8 walls.

By putting a mesh unit by the window one creates a more direct path.

That is why mesh can solve certain tricky coverage problems that single router cannot solve.

(21-11-2021, 11:57 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Was able to share my WiFi with 6 other families on the same floor after set up.

So they co-pay the broadband subscription?

(21-11-2021, 12:49 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  How you get for $56....I saw this at $100+.

Sure it is quite good.  However it is a one point solution if cannot reach an area from that point you cant do anything except deploy extenders and repeaters.

The advantage of a mesh is each point can be shifted until you get coverage around corners etc. Suppose to reach another flat 4 units away the router has to go through 8 walls.

By putting a mesh unit by the window one creates a more direct path.

That is why mesh can solve certain tricky coverage problems that single router cannot solve.

[Image: Screenshot-20211121-143037-Shopee-SG.jpg]

11.11 sales. it's a combination of 天时,地利人和

not only upstairs, roof garden, basement, neighbors, but even the nearby park aso can receive

(21-11-2021, 12:22 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  [Image: 20211111-094430.jpg]

Like拜拜。🙄
[+] 1 user Likes Ernesto's post

(21-11-2021, 03:10 PM)Ernesto Wrote:  Like拜拜。🙄

[Image: Screenshot-20211121-151336-Carousell.jpg]

no external antenna, transmission not gd. looks like a toast box

(21-11-2021, 03:15 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  [Image: Screenshot-20211121-151336-Carousell.jpg]

Read many reviews abt mesh router not as good as it seems to be.

(21-11-2021, 03:15 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  [Image: Screenshot-20211121-151336-Carousell.jpg]

The idea is to place a few not use just one.
When you use one regardless of antennas it can only penetrate so many walls metallic structures.  If it works well for your home...that's fine. But if there are dead zone you cannot do much without adding additional equipment.like extenders and repeaters.

But with a mesh system you can do placement to overcome the wall blockage.

That is majn difference.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/397709/n...ested.html

(21-11-2021, 03:17 PM)Ernesto Wrote:  Read many reviews abt mesh router not as good as it seems to be.

Mesh system vs traditional router explained.

[Image: Screenshot-20211121-161420-Chrome.jpg]

the hw ax3 aso supports mesh networking

(21-11-2021, 11:57 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  As my flat is small I won't need this. However, I was sharing my WiFi with 2 other families with school kidd who need it.

The first set of mesh router I bought was very bad. It was a pain to set up and did not perform well. It cost me couple of hundred $ product was call Lyra by Aseus. Gave me a bad impression of mesh routing products.

, they are okay but they half the throughput when they 'repeat" this lowers the performance. It also mean I can share with only 2 other families ...I knew around 4 in my level that needed WiFi and they had to pay month if they cannot be reached.

I came across this product called Nokia Beacon 1 which was been sold off by many people cheaply as it was given out free by Starhub when you sign up for their broadband. Many already have a router so they didn't need this. One piece is sold as low as $30 and you can keep adding beacon to extend coverage. I got one of the nejghbors kid to help me pick up 4 pieces.

It comes with a very friendly mobile app to detect signal strength at each placement location and to add a beacon is  by scanning a QR code at the bottom of each beacon. Proces takes less than 5 minutes.

Seems like u are surrounded by poor people ..nowonder u cannot progress ...BTW, beacon ..worst mesh

(21-11-2021, 05:49 PM)EXBB Wrote:  Seems like u are surrounded by poor people ..nowonder u cannot progress ...BTW, beacon ..worst mesh

WHich one bestest ??

Smile

eerie
U r under survillant
such time as now
u need to get thick copper wired.

https://consumer.huawei.com/sg/routers/ax3-quad-core/

Mine is the ASUS-RTAX82U Gaming Router, yet still cannot handle dead corners, cost me $300 plus, so I'm a bit disappointed with it though.

[Image: QZASCP5.png]

(22-11-2021, 07:58 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  Mine is the ASUS-RTAX82U Gaming Router, yet still cannot handle dead corners, cost me $300 plus, so I'm a bit disappointed with it though.

[Image: QZASCP5.png]

Alot depends on the material of walls and whether there are metal bars. 

No matter how good a single point route cannot penetrate all walls ....that is why mesh systems and extenders are used.

[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(21-11-2021, 11:57 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  As my flat is small I won't need this. However, I was sharing my WiFi with 2 other families with school kidd who need it.

Actually the wifi coverage is restricted by ISP. Rotfl
Due to too many cheapo internet users tap other ppl wifi connection. The excuse given from ISP probably for many subscribed users complain how come their internet speed is slow..May be you can try your luck to call your ISP to unrestrict your home wifi coverage. This is how they make more $$$.

Next time starlink internet become cheap as Netlink subscription. I think many ISPs will close shop.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(22-11-2021, 08:17 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Actually the wifi coverage is restricted by ISP. Rotfl
Due to too many cheapo internet users tap other ppl wifi connection. The excuse given from ISP probably for many subscribed users complain how come their internet speed is  slow..May be you can try your luck to call your ISP to unrestrict your home wifi coverage. This is how they make more $$$.

Next time starlink internet become cheap as Netlink subscription. I think many ISPs will close shop.

Your comment is off.
Problem is with coverage not speed.

I solve the problem like this
I do not like to be spied.
so it is hard-wired for me
for speed and also for anti RADIATION.
The router supplied are used to supply wifi for guests
i also own a gigabit sw also movable just 5 ports.
i now moving into matchbox size computer.
i have Raspberry pi imager installed. This needs to buy matchbox raspberry Grub not same as below
iam learning grub2 installing ubuntu 20.4.3 iso  so i can go the old fashion way.
USBstartup.
iam conscious abt BUS speed of USB-C and 3+
Time getting dangerous.
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

During my forage into small computer i found out they could rewrite yes your installation CD
making a mess of your works and learning curve.
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

(22-11-2021, 10:34 AM)singlon Wrote:  During my forage into small computer i found out they could rewrite yes your installation CD
making a mess of your works and learning curve.
So you kena hacked and spied on?

Someone pays slightly more electricity for a slightly wider coverage router. Repeaters will need to be used if the distance is longer.

More people saw your network unless you hide it. Hacker can come in.

If the electricity used is the same for similar routers, likely their coverage is similar.

(22-11-2021, 10:57 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  So you kena hacked and spied on?
My old installation disk gets overwrittened changing the GRUB to GRUB2 cannot USB Boot.

Black Friday sale!

https://s.lazada.sg/s.ZE99u

$ 54.74 only

26 to 29 Nov 2021

up was 98. good product at good price