Deadly tornadoes hit Texas and Oklahoma, flatten buildings

By JAKE BLEIBERG
yesterday

a storm stretching from Dallas to northwest Arkansas spawned tornadoes and produced flash flooding in the region, killing at least one, injuring others and leaving homes and buildings in ruins, including a demolished church.

Idabel, a town of about 7,000, saw extensive damage, Cain said. “There are well over 100 homes and businesses damaged from minor damage to totally destroyed,” Cain said.

Shelbie Villalpando, 27, of Powderly, Texas, said she was eating dinner with her family Friday when tornado sirens prompted them to congregate first in their rented home’s hallways, then with her children, aged 5, 10 and 14, in the bathtub.

“Within two minutes of getting them in the bathtub, we had to lay over the kids because everything started going crazy,” Villalpando said.

“I’ve never been so terrified,” she said. “I could hear glass breaking and things shattering around, but whenever I got out of the bathroom, my heart and my stomach sank because I have kids and it could have been much worse. ... What if our bathroom had caved in just like everything else? We wouldn’t be here.”

The National Weather Service in Fort Worth confirmed three tornadoes - in Lamar, Henderson and Hopkins counties - Friday night as a line of storms dropped rain and sporadic hail on the Dallas-Fort Worth area and continued to push eastward.

Weather service meteorologist Bianca Garcia in Fort Worth said while peak severe weather season typically is in the spring, tornados occasionally develop in October, November, December and even January.

“It’s not very common,” Garcia said, “but it does happen across our region.”

Much more at: https://apnews.com/article/tornadoes-tex...becb11fb6e