Immigration check out cannot recognise thumbprint

My neighbor elderly couple just came back from day tripping to JB yesterday so I asked them how was trip.

They said when one of them tried to scan finger print cannot recognise so have to turn back and go through manual counter which had long queue.

I have not gone JB for some time but remember the fingerprint is old type.  There are 2 type of technology Optical and semiconductor.

For example your phone uses a semi conductor finger print scanner. While old tech is optical.

https://www.utmel.com/blog/categories/se...nt-sensors

The optical one is very slow and not as accurate.

If I recall our immigration is using Optical sensor ...

It is really time for upgrade and speed up.

The Malaysian side I remember is also using optical and you need to put 2 fingers wait for the scanner to register. Seems very slow.

The semiconductor one is very cheap also but there will be cost to integrate to our old systems.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

It happens all the time making people upset especially there’s a long queue behind you…I saw that a few times, maybe the software is not so good. For optical scanning, it takes very long time, more than 5 secs, sometimes failed to work also…I never had problem when I entered Australia, the optical scanning only takes 3 secs, very reliable and never fails…Australia implemented this 10 years ago, they call it Smartgate, Spore is lagging behind.

As one gets old, the thumbprint begins to wear off or fade. So it is very difficult to register the thumbprint on the scanner.

Laughing

(17-08-2022, 12:41 PM)Gstalk Wrote:  As one gets old, the thumbprint begins to wear off or fade. So it is very difficult to register the thumbprint on the scanner.

That’s true, that is why ICA no longer use thumbprint.

driving in is very much faster, no need fingerprint nor iris scanning

(17-08-2022, 01:00 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  driving in is very much faster, no need fingerprint nor iris scanning

But driving in is even worst, besides long queues of cars, your car or parts may be stolen. Also you may be “robbed” by the po.lice and thieves

Laughing

I had it few times.
Was directed to special counter.
Clear fast.

Another problem is when you insert your passport to the machine the machine can’t recognise & reject it, so you have to use another machine or go to the counter.

The last step is to remove your mask and look up to the camera, sometimes you stare and stare at camera for a long time, nothing happens.

Backward and poor China is using facial recognition!

No money and technology for thumbprint recognition!  Laughing

(17-08-2022, 01:10 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  The last step is to remove your mask and look up to the camera, sometimes you stare and stare at camera for a long time, nothing happens.

I don't understand why need both fingerprint and face.
You get double delay.

The fingerprint alone should be enough.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(17-08-2022, 01:39 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I don't understand why need both fingerprint and face.
You get double delay.

The fingerprint alone should be enough.

No more fingerprint scanning anymore

[Image: 446072-C6-7-E99-44-A2-9845-03-B5-ACD385-F9.png]

(17-08-2022, 01:42 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  [Image: 446072-C6-7-E99-44-A2-9845-03-B5-ACD385-F9.png]

That means no need to put thumb onto reader just look at camera?

(17-08-2022, 01:46 PM)You sgbuffett Wrote:  That means no need to put thumb onto reader just look at camera?

Correct, however in case optical scan fails, then have to SCS. Thumbprint

After reading lvlrsSTI posted about the facial scan,  I decided to enter malaysia and test out the system.

I went by bus and came by KTM....so I can test the system in 2 different ways.

I think there is plenty of room for improvement.

Let me explain. lvlrsSTI js right that after you scan the passport at first gantry, you just need a facial scan at the next stage. Only If the facial scan fails, the machine will show a picture to scan your thumb.

Here are my observations.
1. Out of 10 people, only 1 or 2 know they don't have to use thumb so most place their thumb on the fingerprint scanner while having their face scanned.

2. Of the 3 people I observed did not put thumb on finger print scanner only 1 successfully scanned his face and passed through. The other 2 had to scan their thumb because the facial scan failed.

3. For me the facial scan failed twice.

4. The facial scan itself takes 10secs when it fails and you put your thumb that takes extra 5 or 6 secs.

5. If both fail the person has to get out and go through manually.

Why does it take so long when today's technology can recognise a fingerprint in under one second! We all know because almost every phone can unlock in 1 or 2 seconds. ...and it is super  reliable.

After you scan your passport they already identify  you and can pull out your fingerprint for a match. ...this is no different from a phone which takes 1 second.

The facial scan is slow and when falls falls back on finger print which can be made very fast. It makes no sense to use it

Every year millions of Singaporeans use the system surely it can be improved.

wah you rushed in and rushed back in a few hrs just to test out the system?

(17-08-2022, 06:34 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  After reading lvlrsSTI posted about the facial scan,  I decided to enter malaysia and test out the system.

I went by bus and came by KTM....so I can test the system in 2 different ways.

I think there is plenty of room for improvement.

Let me explain. lvlrsSTI js right that after you scan the passport at first gantry, you just need a facial scan at the next stage. Only If the facial scan fails, the machine will show a picture to scan your thumb.

Here are my observations.
1. Out of 10 people, only 1 or 2 know they don't have to use thumb so most place their thumb on the fingerprint scanner while having their face scanned.

2. Of the 3 people I observed did not put thumb on finger print scanner only 1 successfully scanned his face and passed through. The other 2 had to scan their thumb because the facial scan failed.

3. For me the facial scan failed twice.

4. The facial scan itself takes 10secs when it fails and you put your thumb that takes extra 5 or 6 secs.

5. If both fail the person has to get out and go through manually.

Why does it take so long when today's technology can recognise a fingerprint in under one second! We all know because almost every phone can unlock in 1 or 2 seconds. ...and it is super  reliable.

After you scan your passport they already identify  you and can pull out your fingerprint for a match. ...this is no different from a phone which takes 1 second.

The facial scan is slow and when falls falls back on finger print which can be made very fast. It makes no sense to use it

Every year millions of Singaporeans use the system surely it can be improved.

Need to improve a lot, the similar system in other countries works better.

today the machine cannot detect my eyes
only thumb print

(17-08-2022, 08:18 PM)Talent Wrote:  today the machine cannot detect my eyes
only thumb print

So lousy? Did you complain to the officer? Huh

(17-08-2022, 06:40 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  wah you rushed in and rushed back in a few hrs just to test out the system?

Yes. I am very concerned about why there are gaps in performance. Like some one mentioned just now other countries system much faster. For me it's abig deal if things are not as good as they should be.

Anyway if you think I am joking when I said i went in and out just to test the system today here is my KTM ticket for my trip back. I did not keep the bus ticket for the trip into Malaysua
[Image: jnQTonB.png]

(17-08-2022, 08:18 PM)Talent Wrote:  today the machine cannot detect my eyes
only thumb print

Same for me system fail going in...and fail coming out.

maybe the systems use some outdated algorithms and developed by ann

[Image: Screenshot-20220817-211443-Chrome.jpg]

multiple realtime facial recognition is a commonplace

I am writing a letter to MHA to suggest they improve their systems so as to improve things for millions of Singaporeans who will travel every year.

If you have any points you want me to raise I'm the issue please post here.

[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(18-08-2022, 10:16 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I am writing a letter to MHA to suggest they improve their systems so as to improve things for millions of Singaporeans who will travel every year.

If you have any points you want me to raise I'm the issue please post here.

ICA is the correct entity.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

singlon was the ultimate TEST of the Biometric
collected passport after sticking a photo on a form and pushed it into a pigeon hole
after a delay of 6 weeks passport was collected at ICA kallang
when Q. no activated on the panel immediately it was placed as missed call
Went to counter girl said YOUR NAME MUST BE CALLED.
strange
complained
after a moment with piles of passport with people standing around doing nothing
my passport went to the girl
collected and now for the TEST. IAM not vaccinated.
Push the passport into the Biometric GATE OPENED
went to Malaysia Malacca
wat happen now?

[Image: Screenshot-2022-08-18-at-10-57-41-Acknow...ow-Out.png]

REMEMBER GATE OPEN
[Image: Screenshot-2022-08-18-at-11-08-27-COVID-...WRENCE.png]

(17-08-2022, 12:03 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  It happens all the time making people upset especially there’s a long queue behind you…I saw that a few times, maybe the software is not so good. For optical scanning, it takes very long time, more than 5 secs, sometimes failed to work also…I never had problem when I entered Australia, the optical scanning only takes 3 secs, very reliable and never fails…Australia implemented this 10 years ago, they call it Smartgate, Spore is lagging behind.

But it also seems like middle-aged and older people are traveling out quite a bit.