Happy Deepavali to All!

I insist on greeting my Hindu friends Happy Deepavali instead of Diwali.

Of recent years the term Diwali has slowly overtaken Deepavali.

But do you know its origins?  Deepavali is used by southern Indians like our Tamil bros, while Diwali originates from North India, like those Ramesh type.

It is insidiously creeping into our local culture. When I googled most images were Diwali.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

It is the same festival with a spelling difference. Etymologically, Deepavali is a Sanskrit word meaning row of lamps.

Diwali is a corrupted form of Deepavali used in Northern states of India. Interestingly, South Indian and east Indian states use the etymologically correct name, Deepavali.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(12-11-2023, 07:54 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  I insist on greeting my Hindu friends Happy Deepavali instead of Diwali.

But do you know its origins?  Deepavali is used by southern Indians like our Tamil bros, while Diwali originates from North India, like those Ramesh type.

It is insidiously creeping into our local culture. When I googled most images were Diwali.

Don’t you know they are rebranding their religion to Santana dharma from Hinduism? Country name to Bha rat from India?Ruling language to Hindi?

இனிய தீபாவளி நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்       Big Grin

iniya deepavali nalvaazhthukkal

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(12-11-2023, 08:29 AM)Hope Wrote:  Don’t you know they are rebranding their religion to Santana dharma from Hinduism? Country name to Bha rat from India?Ruling language to Hindi?

I only know smelly pundek Big Grin

(12-11-2023, 08:39 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  இனிய தீபாவளி நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்       Big Grin

iniya deepavali nalvaazhthukkal

Nanri Big Grin

Our police force really exercise double standard. Early morning already heard many firecracker sound here.

Heard the meow meow is hot
Because they eat a lot of curry and chilli
Highly recommended not to use raincoat when performing
Otherwise the raincoat may melt
Also without the raincoat, you can feel “the heat”

Tampines & West Coast GRCs are there for the taking 

(12-11-2023, 07:54 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  I insist on greeting my Hindu friends Happy Deepavali instead of Diwali.

I trust LKY’s era that they have done their due diligence and I grew up during this period so I’ll only use Deepavali.
[+] 1 user Likes Buffybuffy's post

(12-11-2023, 09:23 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  I only know smelly pundek Big Grin

Should be pundie/Punday

(12-11-2023, 09:24 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Nanri Big Grin

Laughing

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

Aiya leave it to the ridout guys to decide what to do

The ridout guys did nothing so far as burning of firecracker is a yearly affair here in the east.

Happy Diwali to all Hindus!

Before: At your service; After: Serves you right!