The only way to solve COE problem is mindset change..

(17-10-2023, 02:10 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  They may only need it once a week or a month. What to do with the car for the rest of the days? Isn't rental car better?
Such half cooked ideas would only give rise to more problems than solving thems

The average white collar worker in SG who drives to office is only on the road for 1 hour a day, so he doesn't really add to the congestion. His car is parked at his workplace for 8-9 hours.  Why penalise PMEs like him? Have a separate category of COEs for PHVs and taxis who are contributing to traffic congestion for almost the entire day.   

the best is minimal ERP $5 on all roads

used often pay more

(17-10-2023, 08:49 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Today we have an extensive network of public transport.
[Image: QF2KjJP.jpg]

When we talk about COE we are talking about roughly 11% of the people the other 89% are not affected by COE as they don't own cars and don't pay a single cent for COE

Hence the public transport meets teh requirements of travel for almost 90% of the people.

Cars are luxury goods like landed property and rolex watches in Singapore. Except for an even smaller number out of the 11% with disable family member estimated  to be 1-3% and private hire vehicles(40,000) another 4% of the total car population. .

We can see the vast majority of car owners do not really need cars but purchase a car as a luxury item.

Policies cannot cater to those who want luxuries. We do no go and make landed property cheap so that people can own it. We don't subsidise rolex watches or holidays to europe.

Policy cannot  be designed for a small minority who want luxury living.

I propose a needs based approach to allocate COE

1. Allocated to those with immediate needs like disabled family member and parents with mobility issues and the disabled who can drive but cannt take public transport.

2. Create a special allocation for PHV vehicles that cannot be used outside of PHV business. This number should make the increase in demand for PHV.  Remember one PHV can serve many families as it is a shared vehicle almost like a public service. This will help maximise people's access to a car through PHV on occasions that they need.

3. The remaining COE to be bidded by public and businesses.

4. Remove all other subsidies for car parks to encourage behavior change.

5. Keep improving public transport service level.

Didn’t know Ah Butt also know I Ching?
It is very difficult to change others but it is much easy to change yourself. This is I Ching.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

I notice that those wealthy families with a fleet of more than 5 cars usually have 3-4 parked at home most of the time.  In my opinion, they aren't contributing to the traffic congestion for most of the day.  The head of the house usually has a luxury car for work as well as a sports car for weekends and the other cars are used sparingly by his homemaker wife and young adult offspring.

(12-12-2023, 09:34 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  The average white collar worker in SG who drives to office is only on the road for 1 hour a day, so he doesn't really add to the congestion. His car is parked at his workplace for 8-9 hours.  Why penalise PMEs like him? Have a separate category of COEs for PHVs and taxis who are contributing to traffic congestion for almost the entire day.   

For his drive to work he congest the roads when he can take the public transport to work.

PHV ferry people who don't own cars but have urgent need for a ride due to time constraints or emergencies....they serve the needs of many people....whereas a person driving to work when he can take public transport is doing so unnecessarily

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(12-12-2023, 11:49 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  For his drive to work he congest the roads when he can take the public transport to work.
PHV ferry people who don't own cars but have urgent need for a ride due to time constraints or emergencies....they serve the needs of many people....whereas a person driving to work when he can take public transport is doing so unnecessarily

I see your POV, but it remains a fact that the PME who drives to the office like me, is only on the road for an hour on a weekday.  As my office is far from home and in a remote location, I set out earlier i.e. around 7 am and leave my workplace by 5 pm to avoid both the peak hour traffic as well as ERP.  I am not guilty of adding to traffic congestion.

If one doesnt drive doesnt work, what problems does he has? Why needs mindset change?

(12-12-2023, 12:10 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I see your POV, but it remains a fact that the PME who drives to the office like me, is only on the road for an hour on a weekday.  As my office is far from home and in a remote location, I set out earlier i.e. around 7 am and leave my workplace by 5 pm to avoid both the peak hour traffic as well as ERP.  I am not guilty of adding to traffic congestion.

Let's take what you say as true then a usage model is needed for charging. The more you use they more you are charge. Also parking the car somewhere also take up space...hence govg should remove all subsidy for parking it makes no sense.

ERP2 will solve the problem by charging for usage.when roads are congested during certain hours charge more for using these roads.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Change mind set to not buying a car. just take public transport s.
Don't compete with the rich.

Eat the humble pie.

Change mind set to not buying a car. just take public transport s.
Don't compete with the rich.

(12-12-2023, 12:10 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I see your POV, but it remains a fact that the PME who drives to the office like me, is only on the road for an hour on a weekday.  As my office is far from home and in a remote location, I set out earlier i.e. around 7 am and leave my workplace by 5 pm to avoid both the peak hour traffic as well as ERP.  I am not guilty of adding to traffic congestion.

(12-12-2023, 12:10 PM)Oyk Wrote:  If you cannot afford don't drive lah asshole
Why avoid ERP here and ERP there?

Laughing Laughing

singlion sees the road are empty so real
and COE galloping makes no sense.
ya u can say go into rental business due to the plandemic climate change fiasco
still it is not right

we must always face reality
The roads are empty
And fossil fuels cannot be taken out
here the problem
Putin will bring the price of POO down hard say to 10Dola.
buy if u pay in Gold we give u mor
Result from COP28 failed.

raise ERP prices and implemen it in all roads

(13-12-2023, 07:00 AM)grotesqueness Wrote:  raise ERP prices and implemen it in all roads

Most people have come to the same conclusion that charging by road usage is the way to go.

Hence the govt is ahead of the curve to implement ERP2.

https://onemotoring.lta.gov.sg/content/o...p-2-0.html

(17-10-2023, 10:07 AM)forum456 Wrote:  who need black and white bungalows ? only the rich and PAP ministers need black and white bungalows.
who need cars with coe of above $140K ?
only the rich need cars with coe of above $140K.
based on need, only the rich need cars.

Our Govt already stated that they are not stopping anyone from buying a car so long as they are able to afford to.