Jail for hotel receptionist who repeatedly went to work while on MC during CB

SINGAPORE — After a guest who had tested positive for Covid-19 turned up at his workplace, Chan Foo Mun, who worked as a hotel receptionist, was told not to report to work if he was given a medical certificate (MC).

But when he was issued one after developing a cough and blocked nose, he still went to work at J8 Hotel in the Lavender area as he wanted to get paid.

Enforcement officers from the Ministry of Health soon paid him a visit, telling him to stay in his Ang Mo Kio flat for the duration of his five-day MC. However, he left home the next day to buy food at a hawker centre.

Chan, who ultimately did not test positive for the coronavirus, was sentenced to eight weeks’ jail on Tuesday (Aug 10).

The Singaporean, who turned 44 on Tuesday, pleaded guilty in a district court to two charges of flouting the Infectious Diseases Act. Another five similar charges were taken into consideration for sentencing.

He committed his offences in April last year. At the time, the country was in the midst of the circuit breaker period that restricted movements and activities in order to stem the spread of Covid-19.

Individuals who presented themselves at clinics with acute respiratory infection symptoms had to undergo a swab test for Covid-19 and stay home for the entire five-day period.

More at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ja...it-breaker

MC no pay?….MOM need to take a look..surely Covid symptoms must cover

Victim of J8 hotel boss. Boss pocket all MC subsidy from Govt i guess.

(11-08-2021, 07:12 AM)pervertosan Wrote:  MC no pay?….MOM need to take a look..surely Covid symptoms must cover

If bills piling up and you have no paid MC...everyday you don't work you get zero.

You apply for aid...they make you wait long long and you may not get it.

You can either borrow from loan shark or go to work while sick.

Borrowing from loan shark is not illegal...going to work is.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(11-08-2021, 07:46 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  If bills piling up and you have no paid MC...everyday you don't work you get zero.

You apply for aid...they make you wait long long and you may not get it.

You can either borrow from loan shark or go to work while sick.

Borrowing from loan shark is not illegal...going to work is.

the need to apply for so many things is simply bureaucratic failure…should be as simple as Covid symptoms get paid and govt will reimburse employer… 

sure some will try to game the system but it is the cost of good policy. can investigate and enforce later.