LHY :CPIB’s decision not to prosecute KOM executives “will cause more damage to SG

SINGAPORE — Keppel Offshore and Marine Ltd (KOM)’s corrupt actions in Brazil dealt a blow to Singapore’s reputation, and the decision not to prosecute will “cause more damage” to Singapore’s reputation than the reprehensible acts that were perpetrated, said Mr Lee Hsien Yang (LHY), former Singtel CEO and former Chairman of Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS).

Last Thursday (12 January), the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) made a press statement about the stern warnings issued to six former senior executives of KOM after close to five years of its investigations after consultation with the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC).

The offences relate to bribe payments to officials of Brazilian state-owned corporation Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. (Petrobras), pertaining to rigs-building contracts which Petrobras and/or its related companies had awarded to KOM.

The fine paid by Keppel Offshore and Marine is one of the biggest ever paid under the US Corrupt Practices Act.

The US Justice Department found that between 2001 and 2014 executives of Keppel Offshore and Marine paid $US55 million in bribes to officials of Petrobras - Brazil's state-owned oil company - over 13 contracts to build a fleet of oil rigs.

How come others are jailed for small bribes but Keppel big bribes are okay? The bribery was already proven in Brazilian court.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c...ca-officer

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(18-01-2023, 06:10 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  How come others are jailed for small bribes but Keppel big bribes are okay? The bribery was already proven in Brazilian court.

CPIB making a mockery of Singapore legal systems.

Giving just a stern warning will linger on and tarnish Singapore reputation.

(18-01-2023, 06:10 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  How come others are jailed for small bribes but Keppel big bribes are okay? The bribery was already proven in Brazilian court.

CPIB website clearly stated "gratitude is a serious offence"

2 sets of laws ?

(18-01-2023, 07:09 AM)FartSunKing Wrote:  stupid oppie retards!

so many here

"leekuanyew

Teh Cheang Wan case: No way a minister can avoid investigations
This jaw-dropping speech revealed then-Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew's zero tolerance of corruption. He kicks off the parliamentary session by reading out a suicide note addressed to him, written by the Minister for National Development Teh Cheang Wan, who had died suddenly a month before. Mr Lee goes on to reveal for the first time that Teh was being investigated for accepting bribes."
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/t...g%20bribes.

maybe becos it happened outside Sg and beyond our law jurisdiction ?

(18-01-2023, 07:01 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  2 sets of laws ?

Is this one.country 2 systems?
Not okay for.orfinary citizens to bribe but okay for top brass to engage jn the largest bribery in Brazilian history.

As a citizen, just can't reconcile.

They claim CPIB can't get evidence is there integrity in these claims when all the evidence has been presented in Brazil?

Did the Singapore govt try to get evidence from the govt??...how they conclude they won't be given access to evidence?

I feel something is not right.

[Image: HAPCt9R.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

The ultimate loser is keppel shareholders and the ultimate winner is the US, collecting so much fines from keppel.

(18-01-2023, 07:17 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Is this one.country 2 systems?
Not okay for.orfinary citizens to bribe but okay for top brass to engage jn the largest bribery in Brazilian history.

They claim CPIB can't get evidence is there integrity in these claims when all the evidence has been presented in Brazil?

Did the Singapore govt try to get evidence from the govt??...how they conclude they won't be given access to evidence?

implying giving bribe outside Sg is OK ?

(18-01-2023, 07:17 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Is this one.country 2 systems?

Is Singapore authority saying US justice Department fraudulently obtained evidence and passed judgement?

Then, sue US Justice Department?

I thot they pleaded guilty in the US and were fined millions already? How come CPIB can lose to US courts?

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(18-01-2023, 07:43 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  implying giving bribe outside Sg is OK ?

Although outside of US, the US Justice Department investigated and accepted to settle compensation of a heavy fine for jail terms.

Rather than jiak leow bee in US prison.

(18-01-2023, 07:48 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  I thot they pleaded guilty in the US and were fined millions already? How come CPIB can lose to US courts?
Acting blind..

Optometrist cannot prove CPIB, the patient can see .