Leon Pierera : S'pore has to fight poverty to be a real first world country

Some how I missed this budget speech when it first came out. 

Singapore has been sprucing up GDP by attracting rich and high income earners. This helps to make Singapore look like an affluent society on the surface.

Under the hood is another story. Singapore's rising income inequality and rising poverty shows that our society is has made little progress in improving the lives of many citizens for the past 2 decades. The hardship among the poor worsened last 2 years as inflation had a huge negative impact on real wages. Cost of housing in particular left them worse off as the upgrade path is cut off. There is no way marginal gains if any of wages of low income Singaporeans' can ever make up for the sharp rise in housing costs.

A few days ago the govt announced "shelter like" housing for poor elderly with shared kitchens and toilets. They tell us it is a step forward from being homeless. Skeptics commented that we are heading towards "caged homes" of Hong Kong. What progress? "Sad" is the word to describe the situation.
Common sense tells you that if you keep packing more people on a small island housing will be a problem but this logic seems.lost with our current leaders.

The PAP claims they want to alleviate povery but has worsened it through its policies. They then use band aid to patch the problem e.g. progressive wage, GST vouchers etc the effects of which are negligible to the size of problems caused by its policies in  the first place.

[Image: ZCVGwFY.jpg]

[Image: dXbeozL.jpg][Image: 8RBZzuk.jpg]
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p...eon-perera

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 4 users Like sgbuffett's post

US corporation Dola on the way out.
witness UBS 5ti backstop CS must tell matter is terminal.
Leon Pierera is sleeping at best or plan evil.
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

GST vouchers to help the poor.

(19-03-2023, 06:49 AM)FartSunKing Wrote:  The problem is you, not PAP's immigration policies

Which have benefitted ALL Singaporeans

Including the low income earners, the elderly poor

And the long term jobless scums, like you

Please do not treat PAP as your mama's bosom

Go get yourself a job, any job

PAP has introduce progressive wage 

For people like you to earn more than $2K a month

Doing menial jobs like your former fast food job

Dear Malaysian Traitor

It benefitted you because you are a FOREIGNER and never one of us

who came as a ROBBER to take our jobs

Of course you are happy by depriving us

So have you completed 2 Years of NS to serve this Country?

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

I think we should fight against PAP's FT #1 Policy.

He's stating the obvious, but what's his proposed solution?

(19-03-2023, 06:04 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Some how I missed this budget speech when it first came out. 

Singapore has been sprucing up GDP by attracting rich and high income earners. This helps to make Singapore look like an affluent society on the surface.

Under the hood is another story. Singapore's rising income inequality and rising poverty shows that our society is has made little progress in improving the lives of many citizens for the past 2 decades. The hardship among the poor worsened last 2 years as inflation had a huge negative impact on real wages. Cost of housing in particular left them worse off as the upgrade path is cut off. There is no way marginal gains if any of wages of low income Singaporeans' can ever make up for the sharp rise in housing costs.

A few days ago the govt announced "shelter like" housing for poor elderly with shared kitchens and toilets. They tell us it is a step forward from being homeless. Skeptics commented that we are heading towards "caged homes" of Hong Kong. What progress? "Sad" is the word to describe the situation.
Common sense tells you that if you keep packing more people on a small island housing will be a problem but this logic seems.lost with our current leaders.

The PAP claims they want to alleviate povery but has worsened it through its policies. They then use band aid to patch the problem e.g. progressive wage, GST vouchers etc the effects of which are negligible to the size of problems caused by its policies in  the first place.

[Image: ZCVGwFY.jpg]

[Image: dXbeozL.jpg][Image: 8RBZzuk.jpg]
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p...eon-perera
 Want to alleviate poverty in SG for the long run? stop and close to gates, train Sg workforce for real, to ensure wages are alleviated to REAL wages/income, not suppress by addictive FT flood-into-Sg wages etc etc list goes on, you know, I know. Take the bitter pill. But, you know and I know, it wont happen...  Clapping hence such, lump all into a place homes.

only 3 ways to do so:
reduce the gap bwtn the rich n poor by increase pay of low salary earners n reduce those ministers mp mayors n elites salary to narrow the gap
more help n more financial helps to the lower salary n retirees
reduce cost of living all things increase alot in the last 3 yrs after ge2015

BEST IS ALL 3 DONE IN PARALLEL

(19-03-2023, 05:38 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  He's stating the obvious, but what's his proposed solution?

PAP say kill the poor lah. Clapping

Why kind of jobs reserved for average elderly folks?

I take MRT at 7:30, 8am or 8:30am . . . .also do not see them working at Raffles Place