Sg total employment down in Q2 but unemployment rates improve

[Image: Screenshot-20210730-210659.jpg]

Singapore's total employment fell in the second quarter as Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) took a toll, though unemployment rates continued to improve, according to MOM.

SINGAPORE'S total employment fell in the second quarter as Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) took a toll, though unemployment rates continued to improve, according to the Ministry of Manpower's (MOM) advance release of Q2 labour market statistics on Friday.

Total employment had risen in Q1 after a year of declines in 2020, but fell again in Q2 by 15,700, as a slower rise in resident employment only partly offset a continued fall in non-resident employment.

MOM attributed the slower resident employment growth to declines in domestically-oriented sectors hit by Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) measures, such as food and beverage services and retail trade.

In contrast, resident employment continued to grow steadily in outward-oriented sectors such as information and communications; professional services; and community, social and personal services.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/governm...ment-rates

basically bad stats as those unemployed and gave up looking not counted ..

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

Unemployment rate shows nothing. More people are just doing the low-end jobs.
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

Sorry that my English is bad.

But what does employment rate down and Unemployment rate improve means?

Win the World but lost your Soul. 
[+] 1 user Likes Symmetry's post

(30-07-2021, 10:28 PM)Symmetry Wrote:  Sorry that my English is bad.

Laughing

Let me think . . . . .think . . .. think for 5 hours.

I think that it is saying that at the end our SG workforce is still the same. No difference from last year during recession. 

讲 废 话。 

Assume that you have initially 100 people employed and then you retrenched 20. So the total employment is down, right? The unemployment rate is now 20/100 = 0.2.  

Then in the next quarter, another 10 got retrenched. So the total employment is again down. But now the unemployment rate is 10/80=0.125, so it is down.

They're talking about rate and not total unemployment. If it is total unemployment then it'll actually be (20+10) out of 100, which is up.

Of course, this is simplified because it doesn't take into account that the original 20 who is retrenched may have found jobs but this is just for illustration.

Those unemployed for more than 6mths is considered given up hope in finding job as such taken of the data. So in a nutshell unemployment is higher than the stats they reported ???

(30-07-2021, 09:08 PM)cityhantam Wrote:  [Image: Screenshot-20210730-210659.jpg]

Singapore's total employment fell in the second quarter as Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) took a toll, though unemployment rates continued to improve, according to MOM.

SINGAPORE'S total employment fell in the second quarter as Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) took a toll, though unemployment rates continued to improve, according to the Ministry of Manpower's (MOM) advance release of Q2 labour market statistics on Friday.

Total employment had risen in Q1 after a year of declines in 2020, but fell again in Q2 by 15,700, as a slower rise in resident employment only partly offset a continued fall in non-resident employment.

MOM attributed the slower resident employment growth to declines in domestically-oriented sectors hit by Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) measures, such as food and beverage services and retail trade.

In contrast, resident employment continued to grow steadily in outward-oriented sectors such as information and communications; professional services; and community, social and personal services.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/governm...ment-rates

How is employment rate down but unemployment rate improve?