MHA response to R. Branson

https://www.mha.gov.sg/mediaroom/press-r...tober-2022
[+] 4 users Like Ahnya's post

If Naga is not intellectually disabled, there is no case for him except a pardon from President, which also needs parliament to raise and agree

Everything else said by MHA is bait

"17.  Mr Branson is entitled to his opinions. These opinions may be widely held in the UK, but we do not accept that Mr Branson or others in the West are entitled to impose their values on other societies. Nor do we believe that a country that prosecuted two wars in China in the 19th century to force the Chinese to accept opium imports has any moral right to lecture Asians on drugs."

Clapping
[+] 5 users Like WhatDoYouThink!'s post

See these chow angmos... Rolleyes

Quote:17.   Mr Branson is entitled to his opinions. These opinions may be widely held in the UK, but we do not accept that Mr Branson or others in the West are entitled to impose their values on other societies. Nor do we believe that a country that prosecuted two wars in China in the 19th century to force the Chinese to accept opium imports has any moral right to lecture Asians on drugs.

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung
[+] 3 users Like Huliwang's post

To keep the debate more lively and effective 

MHA should invite Commissioner of UN Human Rights and Chairman of Lawyers Without Borders to join the debate.

Our Law Minister is capable of handling them single handedly

Good! Whack them back for their hypocritical stance Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(24-10-2022, 02:04 AM)Scythian Wrote:  .

MHA should invite Commissioner of UN Human Rights and Chairman of Lawyers Without Borders to join the debate.

Your stirring for this is a lost cause Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(24-10-2022, 01:34 AM)Ahnya Wrote:  https://www.mha.gov.sg/mediaroom/press-r...tober-2022

Support MHA lah! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes cheekopekman's post

(24-10-2022, 02:04 AM)Scythian Wrote:  .

The case involve a Malaysian. Your jhk politicians did not make any noise, why should u?
[+] 1 user Likes winbig's post

(24-10-2022, 01:54 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  "17.  Mr Branson is entitled to his opinions. These opinions may be widely held in the UK, but we do not accept that Mr Branson or others in the West are entitled to impose their values on other societies. Nor do we believe that a country that prosecuted two wars in China in the 19th century to force the Chinese to accept opium imports has any moral right to lecture Asians on drugs."

Clapping

This was the first trade war lah.
Chao Ang Moh liked high tea very much, they liked to drink China tea at that time. Thank to Zhuge Liang. 种茶达人!
There was nothing much for them to offer to China at that time. So they sold opium to China.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(24-10-2022, 07:12 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  This was the first trade war lah.
Chao Ang Moh liked high tea very much, they liked to drink China tea at that time. Thank to Zhuge Liang. 种茶达人!
There was nothing much for them to offer to China at that time. So they sold opium to China.

They could have offered their meimei to China instead.

(24-10-2022, 01:54 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  "17.  Mr Branson is entitled to his opinions. These opinions may be widely held in the UK, but we do not accept that Mr Branson or others in the West are entitled to impose their values on other societies. Nor do we believe that a country that prosecuted two wars in China in the 19th century to force the Chinese to accept opium imports has any moral right to lecture Asians on drugs."

Clapping

It is strange we invited him into a debate then said his views no matter what are irrelevant because of history of 100yrs ago.

It is just a waste of time.

If UK person views are not relevant then let Ravi debate.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(24-10-2022, 07:18 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  It is strange we invited him into a debate then said his views no matter what are irrelevant because of history of 100yrs ago.

Sg authorities did not say irrelevant.  They said that the UK does not have the moral right to lecture or impose their hypocritical values on other nations in view of their own earlier transgressions.

Kindly do not put your own words or your own distorted interpretations and depict it as the truth instead  Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like p1acebo's post

(24-10-2022, 07:24 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Sg authorities did not say irrelevant.  They said that the UK does not have the moral right to lecture or impose their hypocritical values on other nations in view of their own earlier transgressions.

Kindly do not put your own words or your own distorted interpretations and depict it as the truth instead  Big Grin

They are not hypocritical...they walk the talk they do not use death penalty for drug offenses TODAY 

I have a problem with our MHA line of argument to dig old history and use it this manner....

If they don't accept western view do they accept the view of our own activists who decendenfs did not have anything to do with opium wars?...

They are just digging background to attack instead of facing the arguments put up.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(24-10-2022, 07:39 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  They are not hypocritical...they walk the talk they do not use death penalty for drug offenses TODAY 

I have a problem with our MHA line of argument to dig old history and use it this manner....

If they don't accept western view do they accept the view of our own activists who decendenfs did not have anything to do with opium wars?...

They are just digging background to attack instead of facing the arguments put up.

One issue at a time.  The reply back to the UK was to tell them they have no right to lecture or impose their hypocritical values on others when the needs suit them in view of their past behavior. 

Our local dissenters of course have no part in the opium wars but are simply misguided due to past exposure to liberal western values.  

You let these low life live and continue to push drugs, many more poor souls will do down the slippery slope of ruin.  We can’t allow nor afford to experiment with this kind of misguided kindness or latitude.

(24-10-2022, 07:46 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  One issue at a time.  The reply back to the UK was to tell them they have no right to lecture or impose their hypocritical values on others when the needs suit them in view of their past behavior. 

Our local dissenters of course have no part in the opium wars but are simply misguided due to past exposure to liberal western values.  

You let these low life live and continue to push drugs, many more poor souls will do down the slippery slope of ruin.  We can’t allow nor afford to experiment with this kind of misguided kindness or latitude.

1. One thing at a time. I did not say I agree or disagree  with MHA stance. I have problem with that specific way of attacking someone background and not their arguments.

2.To brush our local activists off  as "exposed to western values" is a cheap shot. We are too talking about killing another human being ...it has nothing to do with western liberal values ...be it Buddhist or for that matter it is quite universal to try to prevent it.

3. I did not say anything about whether it is effective or not effective to hang drug runners to solve our drug problem. You need to prove either way. That is part of the debate. 

4. Dredging out some thing from history selectively  is rather low. It is also part of their history they abolish death penalty.

(24-10-2022, 08:07 AM)Ugh sgbuffett Wrote:  1. One thing at a time. I did not say I agree or disagree  with MHA stance. I have problem with that specific way of attacking someone background and not their arguments.

2.To brush our local activists off  as "exposed to western values" is a cheap shot. We are too talking about killing another human being ...it has nothing to do with western liberal values ...be it Buddhist or for that matter it is quite universal to try to prevent it.

3. I did not say anything about whether it is effective or not effective to hang drug runners to solve our drug problem. You need to prove either way. That is part of the debate. 

4. Dredging out some thing from history selectively  is rather low. It is also part of their history they abolish death penalty.

You have written quite clearly in your earlier post that you did not understand MHA’s reply and then tried to muddle things up together in order to strengthen your case. Misplaced kindness and merely aping western thinking will do more harm than good here.  Drugs have the capacity to kill thousands if not more. It is only right to take punitive steps against such perpetrators.

I put it to you that you do not have a case and are just dredging up irrelevant points to boost your failed cause.  Positioning yourself that you are neither here nor there doesn’t help either Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like p1acebo's post

(24-10-2022, 07:39 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  They are not hypocritical...they walk the talk they do not use death penalty for drug offenses TODAY 

So just because a some of the population have a certain view, the government has to comply?

(24-10-2022, 08:54 AM)Ahnya Wrote:  So just because a some of the population have a certain view, the government has to comply?

Must our government obey other governments leh?  Thinking

(24-10-2022, 09:25 AM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Must our government obey other governments leh?  Thinking

Clearly,  where the death penalty is concerned,  they AREN'T obeying.
[+] 1 user Likes Ahnya's post

(24-10-2022, 07:18 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  It is strange we invited him into a debate then said his views no matter what are irrelevant because of history of 100yrs ago.

to better prepare them with some background info mah. without that they dun know why are the garment has to be so tough on drugs

same if you give some background info about why you hate china so much, more ppl may take side with you and hantum china together
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

(24-10-2022, 09:37 AM)Ahnya Wrote:  Clearly,  where the death penalty is concerned,  they AREN'T obeying.

I support MHA lah!