Lithium-ion battery fires are happening more often. Here’s how to prevent them

Samantha Murphy Kelly
Updated 11:40 AM EST, Thu March 9, 2023

Lithium-ion batteries, found in many popular consumer products, are under scrutiny again following a massive fire this week in New York City thought to be caused by the battery that powered an electric scooter.

These incidents are becoming more common for a number of reasons. For starters, lithium-ion batteries are now in numerous consumer tech products, powering laptops, cameras, smartphones and more. They allow companies to squeeze hours of battery life into increasingly slim devices. But a combination of manufacturer issues, misuse and aging batteries can heighten the risk from the batteries, which use flammable materials.

“Lithium batteries are generally safe and unlikely to fail, but only so long as there are no defects and the batteries are not damaged or mistreated,” said Steve Kerber, vice president and executive director of Underwriters Laboratory’s (UL) Fire Safety Research Institute (FSRI). “The more batteries that surround us the more incidents we will see.”

Despite the concerns, lithium-ion batteries continue to be prevalent in many of today’s most popular gadgets. Some tech companies point to their abilities to charge faster, last longer and pack more power into a lighter package.

But not all lithium batteries are the same.

Kerber recommends people buy UL-certified electric bikes and scooters from reputable retailers; online marketplaces often make it hard for customers to tell where products are actually coming from.

any device with this kind of battery should be charged and stored in a cool, dry place, and not left charging for too long or while you’re asleep 

“Elevated temperatures can accelerate degradation of almost every battery component and can lead to significant safety risks, including fire or explosion,” the researchers said. “If a laptop or cellphone is noticeably hot while it’s charging, unplug it. Minimize exposure to low temperatures, especially when charging.”

Batteries should also be routinely inspected to make sure there is no cracking, bulging or leaking, and people should always use the charger that came with the device or use one from a reputable supplier. When charging an electric scooter or bike, Kerber said it should never block a fire escape or exit route.

Although some battery chemistries are safer than others, we are still a few years away from adoption of a better, safer lithium-ion alternative, according to Sridhar Srinivasan, a senior director at market research firm Gartner.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/09/tech/...index.html

Fake news, most smartphones using Li-ion nothing happen, I got many old smartphones, never explode one.

疫苗可以不打, 手枪一定要打!
疫苗可以不注射, 精子一定要远射!

(27-06-2023, 09:04 AM)ODA TETSURO Wrote:  Fake news, most smartphones using Li-ion nothing happen, I got many old smartphones, never explode one.

Yeah, a lot less fires from mobile phones from what I know. Mainly e-bikes and e-scooters as stated in the report.

(27-06-2023, 09:17 AM)Levin Wrote:  Yeah, a lot less fires from mobile phones from what I know. Mainly e-bikes and e-scooters as stated in the report.

Maybe big ones overloaded with too many cathodes or electrodes?

疫苗可以不打, 手枪一定要打!
疫苗可以不注射, 精子一定要远射!

(27-06-2023, 09:04 AM)ODA TETSURO Wrote:  Fake news, most smartphones using Li-ion nothing happen, I got many old smartphones, never explode one.

That's because they have good battery management systems that prevent batteries from getting hot or overcharged. Many of the other devices may not have such good systems in place.